Panasonic SC-DK1 Speaker Wire Question

Username: Gomma

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a Panasonic SC-DKI DVD Stero System, and need to extend the speaker wires for the two front speakers. (This system is a mini CD/DVD, tuner, dual cassette deck system with five speakers.)

I bought a roll of 18 gauge twin conductor speaker wire that looked to be the same size as the wires attached to the front speakers . However, I discovered a notation on the package that said this wire (18 gauge) was rated up to 80 watts maximum RMS, and the system manual says the amplier RMS output is 95 W per channel (6 ohms). I spoke to the Panasonic tech who said I should get 12 gauge wire.

Is this really necessary, because it's hard to find in the stores at a reasonable price and I'd rather not have to wait several weeks to get it from the internet. Per this article http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm it says I can use 18 gauge up to 23 feet, and I only need to extend each set of twin conductor wires from the speakers about 8 feet each. I'm assuming the wire already attached to the speakers is 12 guage, so my question is, can I connect it to the 18 gauge wire to make it long enough to reach the mini system?

Thanks in advance,

gomma

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 956
yes you can, unless you are doing very critical listening. You'll be fine.:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 957
But if you really want to get a thicker gauge wire you can go to Radio Shack or Home Depot, it does not need to be expensive. You don't need 12 gauge, however, you can use 14 gauge.

Post Number: 2
Thank you, Berny. I didn't know if the wire gauges could be mixed and was afraid of causing damage somehow. (Obviously I'm a novice.) I'm now greatly relieved. I have another question which I"ll post under a separate topic.

Silver Member

Post Number: 959
You are welcome! Happy listening.
cheers

exalt
Unregistered guest
I have a question about this speaker system...
is it possible to take apart the large speakers?
There dont seem to be any skrews, except under the speaker case iself. (you can see them through the grating)

Post Number: 4
My guess is that the two silver buttons on the front of the speaker have something to do with it. If you look through the grate with a flashlight you can see where there's a straight thing (sorry, I'm don't have the jargon for mechanical things)--like a post--going into the part where the speakers are housed. On the other side, where the little speakers are, there aren't any silver buttons, but if you look through the grate again, you can see the same long post on that side. I'm wondering if you just pried on the front half of the speaker case, if it would pull apart so you could get to the speakers inside? (The black fabric speaker covers pop off; maybe the front and back halves of the speaker case pops off too? )

Another suggestion would be to call the Panasonic service center and ask them.

A last suggestion would be to post your question as a new topic. I only got your question since I requested e-mail notification for replies to my post. I don't know if anyone else will realize there's a new question here since it's buried here within the topic of my original post. You might get more replies if start a new topic.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3780
Samuelell or oreilly or anonymous,
You are nothing but a lowlife spammer scumbag clogging up the inbox.

Tye
Unregistered guest
Hey, I have had this Panasonic SC-DK1 dvd mini system for five years now. Just recently the display goes blank and the dvd player won't read some disks until after the unit is wormed up after playing another disk for a while. I think the laser is going out but not sure. It plays all music cd's all the time. Where can I go to get the laser replaced or is that not possible? It is a hell of a system and I would hate to have to get a new one. Then I have a bunch of speakers with nothing to do.

Username: Sspadhyhotmailcom

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 1
I have a Panasonic SA-AK270 5 disc changer stereo mini system. I would like to extend the speaker wires but I have little idea how to go about it. On the speaker end the wires are connected to the speaker and at the other end there is a white clip which inserts into the main unit. I have had no success in finding any connectors which would allow easy extension. Please advise.

Post Number: 5
I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll tell you what I did to extend my speaker wires. I cut the existing speaker wire so I could insert another length of speaker wire between the two parts. Using an inexpensive wire stripping tool, I removed about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of the protective coating from the cut ends of the existing speaker wire to expose the copper wire inside, and also from the ends of piece of wire I was inserting. Then I twisted the exposed copper wires together (existing speaker wire and new piece of wire) and covered them with electrical tape. Then, at the other end of the new wire I was inserting, I did the same thing, connecting it to the wire that goes to the main unit. So essentially I spliced the extra length of wire into the cut I'd made in the wire from the speakers to the main unit.

Hint: For me, it took some practice not to break the copper wires when stripping the coating off, so I'd suggest practicing a bit on a piece of new speaker wire first if you're new at doing this.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1135
Great explanation Celeste,

I would add that depending on how long you plan to make this extension would determine where to make the splice. Personally I would make my splice as close to the speaker as possible to get rid of the junk wire that Panasonic supplies with their systems. As stated above, you do not have to spend much money on the replacement wire as even the cheap stuff is drastically better.

Post Number: 6
Super idea, Jim! Wish I'd thought of that when I did mine. I did the cut close to the speaker so I could hide the splice behind it, but didn't think to do a cut close to the main unit, too, and remove most of Panasonic's wire. Oh well. It's working fine, and sounds better than what I had before....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us