Today is the day!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14498
Nick is travelling today to deliver and train me on his new baby, the sourceav media center.
I am customer #000001.
We have 1000 albums on file so far, with 2000 more in the works.

I will be posting on and off today. I do not expect an epiphany, but dipping into files should be fun.

I cleaned the bathroom for the guy, so this is a big deal indeed!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3590
Post some pics Nuck! (of the Media Center, not the bathroom).

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11983
I agree with David, no pics of the bathroom please.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14501
Pics to follow of the kit in a horrid stand, LOL!

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 789
Think about what song #1 will be Nuck. Song #1 is very important with new gear.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3596
Good point Chris!

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 404
Coooooool! Can't wait to read your thoughts.

Is the bathroom so clean that it's palpable?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14502
The boys are bringing reference tunes, so it might get loud.
I am not sure if Rod Stewart is going to see the VPI, but 'A wink" on 180 Master should get a tune in.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14503
Never ceases to amaze me how very loud and perfect the Gallo's will play. Yet feed 1 good watt and the same response.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2280
What happens to the title of this thread tomorrow?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3597
The title is Nick and Nuck take advil and have icepacks on their heads.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11985
Today is always "the day" and the only one you are guaranteed.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3599
Good point Art.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2281
Think Boston Half Speed Remastered LP Nick and Nuck.

Nick and Nuck!

Almost has a Starsky and Hutch ring to it.

LOL

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 791
With a Nick, Nuck, patty....eh...whuck?....

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1103
Sounds cool guys. Do post some pics of this momentus occassion.

We need to start doing that more often i.e. pics of eCoustics guys (the Speaker Guys) getting together for jam sessions. I see a new thread...The Jam Sessions.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2950
Welcome to Nucks house!!!! I am officially a huge fan of the Anthony Gallo's. These speakers sound huge. Great depth, huge soundstage, sound is all around. Mac power is great, totally different sound spectrum of Bryston, but I like, a lot. Could live comfortably with either one.

On a short note, will get into more detail later, the Grant Fedelity DAC is one of, if not THE, best sounding DAC for the money I have heard yet.

Media centers of course are a digital based audio system. Therefore Optical and HDMI output is top notch. Two channel listening is different. You need a unit that coverts the Digital signal to Analog. We set up the Media Center via 2.0 digital output to the McIntosh for shiz and gigs, and it was what it was, a digital signal. Enter the Grant Fidelity DAC. At first we wired it up via a USB cable. Sound was great but not quite where the Oppo was. Set up the Media Center feeding the Grant Fidelity via Optical cable and set it to redbook sampling on the MC unit. Wow, sound was superior to the USB setup. Sound now was solid all the way through. From top to bottom. On a short A/B comparison using same material and sound level to the Oppo SE the Grant Fedility was as least equal, if not better than the Oppo.

To add, the Oppo SE unit is the best blu ray I have ever seen. For a standalone blu ray player, it has fast load times, and great two channel ability. The Media Centers load time was much faster, but thats expected. Video playback was so close that the three of us couldn't tell the difference. Both Blu ray sources looked absolute stunning on Nuck's Hitachi plasma, which provides a great picture.

Audio playback on blu ray through the Fidelity DAC fed by MC unit was much louder and provided more bass via two channel listening. But a straight comparison is hard considering one was much louder, which sounds better on blu ray is up in the air. Not sure.

Overall, the total packaged system here at Nucks crip is very very very good. I like it a lot. He has easily coverted me into a Gallo's fan. The MAC equipment helps too of course.lol

More on it later. Back to the scotch. mmmmMM. Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2951
P.S. Nuck is good peeps. Will hang with him anytime. Music is great, and he is one fantastic host. I had a blast. Pics to come.

Silver Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 112
The Gallos are indeed awesome.
I've never heard or had a better set of speakers.
The media center has me intrigued.
Right now everything is burned to Apple Lossless.
Getting all this to the Cary and thru the Gallos via DAC will be an interesting exercise.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11996
Good report, Nick. Grant Fidelity is a sponsor over at AK and a lot of folks over there own the DAC. Being a subscriber we get an AK discount as well. I've read and heard good reports about it, build quality being the only possible niggle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2952
Build quality indeed, Art. The little DAC coughed up a channel just now. Dozens of guys sell this unit and repairs are fast and cheap with an iron.
Problem is, I didn't see "must have iron" in the ad.
For me, it's no prob, that doesn't serve 99% of the population so well.

When it played, it was good fun!

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1108
Sounds like it was a blast. Good reporting. Sounds like at one time or another I'll have to go that media centre route.

So Nick - are you patent pending your box yet? What would be your brand / model name.....?

I'd would have loved to hear it back to back vs. the OPPO.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3172
Congrats all around.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 837
Very funny, NMT. I'm keeping track of the 'P' word and it's coming out of your Christmas Gift.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2953
Nuck- You posted under my account.LOL!!

For two channel listening the key is the DAC. That will go for any MC based unit. Although when Nuck and I set the Optical out on the MC unit to redbook the sound was increasingly better through the Grant Fidelity unit. I can't wait until Nuck gets the MC/Bryston DAC setup. With the MAC/Gallo combo that would be insane.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2284
What did you guys step out for a Bryston DAC?

Pics and updates already!

From I read above, an optical output to a DAC outperforms a USB to DAC feed? Is it your opinion that would be universal or subjective to just your MC?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12003
I just read the same thing a couple of days ago on PF and there was a pretty good explanation to accompany it. Not being a technical person I didn't memorize it, but you could probably search threads at Pink Fish and find it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14504
Nick took all the pics, so we have to canvas him to post.
The optical out to the Grand DAC, with tube out was very very good, the SS DAC was even better, albeit for a short time.

Art and I both, I am limited in my understanding of the technicalities, and without shame, I am simply an end user.

However, Nick (who does know) and we agreed that the MC is operating much more in it's rhealm with the optical. The drivers are optimized for such, and keep in mind that I am not using any of the miriad of HT that this unit can perform.
The audio selection for upscaling are all-inclusive, yet we settled on toggling between 44.1 and 48. The little DAC upscaled to 192 for us, but that is unseen.

The seemingly unavailable Bryston will accept 192 input. This is key.
If the MC does all the converting, and a DAC is used as native in/out, then the MC can make use of it's rather prodigeous power and speed.

Converting is seamless. The sound out of the pc card is nothing to write home about, certainly no where near the Oppo, George.
But man, even the little 300 DAC was, in Nicks opinion above the DAC magic at 500$.

Also of note, as I ramble on, are the Wharfedale diamond 9.4 speakers. We swapped a lot of gear and moved a lot of cables, as well as opening brand new speakers

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14505
The question about the unused front door is now explained.

Back door man, JV!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12007
Where's a picture of the fellas...?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2285
The fellas? The flat screen is showing Nick off of the webcam

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12008
That's cold...lol!

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 502
Sounds like a good time! Did you guys listen to the 9.4's at all?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14507
I don't, in fact, have personnel shots Art. It never crossed my mind, for some reason.

The DAC seems to work fine now, in the sober light of day. But it was buggered for sure, the guys were pretty straight.

Currently playing, and how. Ahem...

http://www.sourceavtech.com/

B luray file of "It Might Get Loud" rockumentary.
Insert dvd. Watch machine work. loads in 11 seconds. Using either the remote or the fab wireless trackball keyboard, open a menu in the normal manner, dropdown and select copy.
This disc is an astoundingly massive 50G, and it was ripped in 32 minutes.

hdmi goes to the tv, a Hitachi 42" plasma, 720p native.
The MC chose to upscale to 1080p, but using 5 mouse clicks brought me to native. There is no noticeable benefit to upscaling this tv, through either the MC or the Oppo. It is a nice tv.

Audio is opticalout, at redbook to the Grant Fidelity DAC.

The Grant DAC-09 has single tubed output and solid state output.

http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_Tube_DAC-09

The unit is playing perfectly as I type and sounding very very convincing with SS outputs, less compelling with tube.

Speakers are Currently Wharfedale 9.4, which will be reviewed seperately.

This does not constitute a review of the Sourceav Media Center. I bought this unit#00001 a long time ago, and Nick used this mule to death, with tons of parts.
That makes this the best handmade hitech unit that China can supply parts for, using Windows7 to control it.

Nick has done a very good Admin job making the interface devoid of unused Windows componants and shite.
The interface is as seamless as possible. Access to audio is Windows easy, 2 clicks will change the playback bitrate.
It is a big box, 17 1/2 inches deep, rear screw to volume knob.

The Oppo BDP83SE can integrate easily with the MC, so I am looking forward to figguring that out on my own. Should I get into too much of a tizzy, Nick can remote the pc and reflash, losing no data or tunes. I have his address, cell #, licence plate, etc. I will hound him relentlessly. I will make such a mess of it, try to break it or confuse it.
That's my job. That and reporting and reviewing the machine fairly for anyone to read. If it breaks, you will know. If I can break it, I will, and pay for repairs. Nick's job is to make the next one already good to go.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2954
China Nuck?lol. Blu Ray transport, motherboard PSU, GPU made in Japan. Phew, now that we got that sorted out.lol

FWIW The system is set up on the best digital audio chip set I tested. Audio out consists of HDMI, Optical, USB or Mini jack to RCA 2 channel. HDMI and Optical are a digital connection so are top notch from the machine. Easily topped my Sony BD Player (First Sony ES ever, $1500). Same goes for video.

Two channel digital out on anything will sound, well, digital, lol. When it comes to an analog circuit on an amplifier getting fed a digital signal you will instantly lose 30-40 percent gain, and it will not sound up to par to most audiophile standards. PC guys are saying, " Yeah yeah I know this". But this is knowledge for the hi fi guys.

When looking for an integrated PC board based DAC, there is few to choose from. The ones that are out there, are absolute junk. I will not put junk in this system. The benefit to adding a PC based DAC adds little in SQ over the already digital signal. The addition of an outboard DAC allows of course for the audio to be converted to analog so the amp can make sense of what it is receiving. The differences in sound from DAC to DAC is truly large, and can make any system sound very different. This is part of the fun. Until the DAC technology can be added in integrated PC form to be Audiophile worthy, to me, it is useless to add to the system. This is why I say, a external DAC is a must to achieve Audiophile quality TWO channel listening

Digital audio signals is another story. The digital Optical or HDMI out on the unit is top notch. DD DTS, PCM and blu ray audio played better on the MCS unit than any blu ray player I threw at it to date. The Optical out does full 192 up convert and can be configured for ANY sample known to man. The Grant Fedility unit performed best set to 24bit/ 44.1 Red Book.

USB audio is as good as the driver from the DAC. It acts as the input state AND output state. The optical output separated the two and allows the signal to be one direction straight to the DAC. There is much more to why Optical connection to a DAC is better than USB, but I will get into it later. Also, any DAC I have tested has never done anything higher than Redbook via USB. Including the Bryston DAC, which does upsample using Optical.

Nuck- Run it in hard bud. lol. Just don't hit it with a hammer :-) Did you find the short in the DAC? Still running well?

Camera is dead, and charging. I got some good shots and video's of Nuck's system singing beautifully. Will post tonight. Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1467
Damn you both, why did you have to show me this MCS stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1468
Curiously how do you burn the BD onto the hard drive? Did you crack the code, or is this licensed?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14512
It is a licenced product, Stof, although I don't see the name right off the bat on the main screen.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2955
Licensed Stof. It is an integrated programmed Movie Strip in Windows 7 MC software that normally is not there at all. In the background a decoder licensed program strips the encryption. This is Legal in Canada. Not so in America. The Canadian dealers will have the machine come this way. American dealers will not. The movies strip is still there though, just not the background software. In the Movie ripping screen there is a clause stating rip at your own risk. There is also the software used in there for the decryption so if you would like to buy that software personally and install it you are ready to go. But at your own risk. This saves my butt. Technically, at the end of the day you can rip blu ray no problem with an added 125 dollar decoder.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2050
Or - you could go on Google and call up -
www.dvdfab.com/free.htm and download a free program that will decode any and all movies and put them on your hard disk. Then use a program such as ImgBurn to burn them onto your disks. All free, BTW.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2956
Larry I tested that program and it rarely worked for Blu Ray. It would rip the Blu Ray fine but during playback the blu ray would either playback just a black screen or just freeze after the menu system of the disk. If it does work you could use the dvdfab in the background with the Media Centers new Movies Strip which has a copy disc option. To add, as long as the movies are ripped to the MC unit and used as your own personal library, it is fine. It is when you start burning them to Disc and passing around to your friends that the American law does not like it.lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1469
Thanks, though I'm really not interested in copying BD disk (at $5 a pop for the media it doesn't even makes sense), but if it can be copied and stored on a hard drive along with all the other media so I don't have to access the disk every time then that's a winner for me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2957
Thats the idea Stof. In the unit it comes set up to rip everything but only equipped to burn music cd's. Its meant for personal usage only. Cheers.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2051
Sounds like one more reason I ought to join my cousins in Quebec Province and move back where my mother's family came from a long, long time ago!
Hmm.. .they won't take me - too old! GRIN
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 2958
LOL!!!

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 120
It's 4:30 PM on 2/2 ....
Pics .... !?!?!?!?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2959
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2960
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2961
We had that system torn apart a million times and it still sounded as great as the time we first stepped foot into the room.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14513
I have only powered down the MC once so far. The LED on the front panel is a good nightlight for that area, LOL!
Before anyone thinks this is a waste of energy, it is more than zero, to be sure, but very little consumption, 50 watts maybe?
The twin fans inside are set to the lowest of 3 speeds, and the unit is dead quiet.
I don't mean quiet for a pc, but absolutely silent!!!

After ripping consecutive BD's, while DVR'ing 2 tv channels at the same time, the unit is at ambient temp at the vent and around the entire case.

Amazing.

The unit is ready to play in 30 seconds from power up, although I am yet to put a stopwatch on it, perhaps tonight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1470
So the way I figure in order for me to upgrade to this system I need to do the following:

1) Buy the MC unit
2) Buy the MAC amp
3) Upgrade my speakers to the Gallo's
4) Upgrade my OPP BD-83 to the SE model

I don't need the rec player since I don't have records any more

So that's all, I guess about $15,000 worth. I better get started.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14515
Stof...
The MC unit.
400 for a DAC
receiver
speakers...thats it!

The quality of digital reproduction to a decent DAC (mine was 300$) has far surpassed the BD83SE. It is for sale, 3 weeks old. The Apollo is gone to another system or sold.
If the Gallo's are too ugly or pricey, the Wharfedale 9.4's that I have strapped there right now lack very little.

Thats the puter, dac, a receiver or integrated and Wharfes for 500$

Again, I am using about 1/4 of what this MC can do. 5.1, 7.1, 7.2, DTS, etc for movies.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2053
NUCK: Wait a minute! Do I read you correctly, sir? The Oppo 83SE is FOR SALE? What is lacking there,my friend? Please tell this olde dawg of your findings - I read a lot about "I luv my Oppo SE" and now you say you do not? Must be spending a LOT more money on other kit then?
Inquiring minds need to know. GRIN
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 843
Nuck:: pls PM me with the $$$ for the OPPO.

Just barely feasible. I'd need to sell my CA and later my current OPPO, the '981 upsampler.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14517
Don't get me wrong, guys, the 83SE is everything that it is supposed to be.
The music is very very good, the BDP and features are right there.

I just do not need the box now with the MC and DAC.(new DAC coming soon!)
Reselling, especially out of Canada means no warranty as well!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2054
Nuck: Scared me there for a couple of minutes, sir! Thought the SE was somehow a failure. I guess you've got way, way better kit in mind if you want to "dump" the Oppo! Whew! Way out of my league, my friend.
Have a Sterling day. . .
REspectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2055
BTW - see my latest "angst" on the Old Dawgs site. SIGH

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3642
Sounds like a great time, Nick and Nuck.

What I'm trying to figure out is how does it differ from an Apple TV? This is something I can't figure out from any of the servers. Other than the DAC, what its this and commercial servers like the Meridian Sooloos are doing that the Apple TV isn't?

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 121
I've been pondering the same thing Stu.
Nuck's imagination, and Nick's patience seem to have created a great system Or, maybe it's the other way around?
I'm certainly interested in what they've created.
I am not a huge fan of recording movies, or for that matter archiving the DVD collection we do have. For me, watching a movie once does it. I am not a real fan of "reruns". Have a hard time buying that DVD the first time. The wife is completely opposite.
Taking advantage of bit torrents ... well ....
Music, on the other hand, is a completely different animal.
Almost all my music has been burned to a portable 1 TB HD parked next to the iMac downstairs.
Airport Express takes it to the HT system.
Now I'm wondering, without any redundancy kit wise, what is the best way to take advantage of all that's been burned via the iMac?
Another Airport Express into a DAC into the the Cary?
Or, would a Mac Mini serve the same function as Nuck's MC, relocate the portable HD loaded with all the tunes, route that thru a DAC into the Cary?

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 795
Bryan, the Mac Mini could work from the same itunes library on your iMac, and then via USB to a DAC and into the Cary. That's the setup I'm going with I think. Haven't quite figured out what DAC though. Lots of choices.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 845
Chris, be CareFull with the DAC.
My CA840c DAC section simply does NOT like my Airport express.

CA says they have a fix (in software) for what they call the Airport not maintaining a constant bit rate or clocking.

Anyway, it periodically emits a very squeely/glassy sound which is just a little better than fingers on a chalk board. Waiting on a few replys right now, before I junk out something.......haven't yet decided what!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2964
The Apple TV is a great product. But its a different product. Its a Media Extender more so than a Media Server. There is a difference. People look at ok, it does movies, it does music, it does this and that. The Apple TV acts as a streaming device with a little storage capability as the new one brings. This is great when using another device to stream through the Apple TV. With a Media Server, you can take you whole collection of 2500 uncompressed albums, blu ray movies, dvd's and so on and Store them for easy access. Then connect it to a product like the Apple TV to stream that content to another room in the house. The apple tv does not have a blu ray player drive, you can not directly rip media to it. Its more so a streaming, internet based product. It also has very minimal amount of support for other file formats other than Apple I-tune formats which is fine if your using I-tunes.

Its a different type of product. Different market but one that will co-exist with the Media Center Servers. You can have thousands and thousands of your music, movies, tv, Stored on the Media Center with easy playback and access in the main system. This content can then be streamed to another room in the house using the Apple TV product. Multiple Media Extenders like the Apple TV can be put all over the house streaming data from the Media Center.

I have tested the Apple TV with the Media Center and it works well. The video and audio output nowhere matches that of the Media Center but it is still very good. Other Media Extender products to watch out for that are very good are the WD Live HD and the Vudu BX100 and the highly regarded DivCo. All are great Media Extenders and stream HD content from the Media Center very well. Some better than others but all did a great job. The Xbox 360 can also be used as a Media Extender. I had mine setup on my network to stream the media from the Media Center and it did an ok job. Nowhere near the Apple TV and Vudu though.

Again, different products, but both will co-exist with each other in Many installations.

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 122
I'm just thinking logistics, etc.
Airport can still provide tunes to the HT, which has a built in DAC, when its not supporting the TV. I'd like everything else to be in one location.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2965
Definitely. Its a great product. It streams media with the best of them. The new Apple tv is going to have multi sourced HD TV streaming capabilities.

For example : With the Media Center you can simply hook up your cable feed, or HD Satellite box to one of the dual HD tuners on the back of the unit. Download your GUIDE with all your channels. The Media Center can then be used as a full PVR. You can then take your stored recorded HD tv content and stream it in full 1080p through the Apple TV to another TV somewhere. The coolest part is the new Apple TV allows for internet based TV watching. While watching a movie in HD on the Apple TV, it can be then streamed BACK to the media center and watched and recorded at the same time. You can record the content coming from the Apple TV stream on the Media Center Server while watching another channel on it. Record the channel coming from one Apple TV and then send music to another room from the Media Center. Different applications but live perfectly with each other.

Another thing. I included full Networking and RS232 tags for Crestron and Ellan home automation control as well as installed the needed touch screen application drivers for the latest touch screen universal remotes and televisions. I am using my Logitech remote right now with the new one I just built. 880 and 890 models with the built in IR and RF.

To add on the Apple TV. It was very simple to sync with the Media Center hub. I have the Media Center in my theater. The Apple TV upstairs. Both connected to my wireless N network. In the tasks on the Media Center GUI you go to Add Extender. It searched and found the Apple TV. Say connect and it searched out the Apple TV for full HD and Uncompressed Audio Streaming to my two channel system.

The Apple TV to date is probably one of the better Media Extenders I have had the pleasure of using. I got one coming for testing next week that should beat up on it I would hope as its 3 times the cost. But you never know. If there was a downfall to the streaming of the Apple TV was its HD video. It was good, but not the best I have seen. Music was great though. Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2966
Chris- On a short note check out the Grant Fedility DAC, Cambridge DAC and your using Strictly USB for the DAC then the highly regarded HRT Plus. All can be had for under 400 and easily rival (if set up properly) 1000 + dollar cd players.

The Mac Mini has very limited audio out setup settings to sync properly with a DAC. So don't plan on using any sort of upconverting. However, it does have redbook ( I think ) so that is usually good enough. USB output to DAC's in my experience do not sound nearly as good as the optical. But it differed.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14523
We will compare audio qualities, etc., which is where this thread is intended to go, I think.

But keep in mind, as Nick said, this is a different product.

as typed above, I DVR's 2 tv channels in HD,(2 tv tuners in there) ,while ripping a bluray (50 gig!)
The input for security cameras would be active at the same time, and in a pinch, I could surf the net, although I want to keep the puter pristine. hehe

It never got above room temp, never slowed down.
I did buy the BIG PIPE for net, however.

I will be able to acess all of my content or watch tv on my laptop, from the home server, from anywhere I travel to.

I can also allow another user, with pass, to view my content over a secure connection, including bluray on file.

This is not streaming MP3, guys.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2887
You've gone and done it now Nuck . . .

You've joined the dark side. Lol!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3646
I understand the differences between the Media Center being video output, storage space, and different music formats. But is that pretty much it? For music only, using Apple Lossless, will the Media Center give me anything the Apple TV isn't, other than more storage space?

I have all my CDs on the Apple TV's hard drive. I still have about 25% or so left. If/when I run out of hard drive space, I'll use it as a streamer or delete some stuff that I don't listen to. Its basically a fully self contained music server in my system. The latest Apple TV software also makes internet radio tuning far easier. I just wich I had the patience to go through the stations and create some presets (can be done as a playlist).

One of my favorite things about the Apple TV is its simplicity. I don't have to worry about drivers, which outputs to use, and so on. Just plug it into a TV and a DAC, and I'm good to go. The TV isn't even necessary if I get an iTouch or iPhone.

I have no interest in storing my movies on my Apple TV. My DVD player and DVR do a more than adequate job, and the Apple TV isn't in the family/living room. It would be a total waste of space and time for me to store movies on the computer and/or Apple TV.

For just music in Apple Lossless, what'll the Media Center do that the Apple TV won't? I'm just curious. If there's a big advantage for my application, I'll make the switch when needed.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2288
Hey Nuck!!!!!

Where is the stands you were supposed to have under the Gallo's. Something anywhere between what I did or what Bryan did should really make a difference for you.

I just taught about it and scrolled up to check, and sure enuf, no stands in your pics.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 796
"The Mac Mini has very limited audio out setup settings to sync properly with a DAC. So don't plan on using any sort of upconverting. However, it does have redbook ( I think ) so that is usually good enough. USB output to DAC's in my experience do not sound nearly as good as the optical. But it differed."

Thanks Nick. It is hard to get information on what bit rates are supported through the different interfaces (USB, optical, etc), so I will check-in before pulling the trigger on anything. I definitely want high rez capability in my music playback so I don't want to limit myself to redbook playback. Upsampling is not a requirement for me, I just want to maintain whatever the source is stored in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2968
Chris- Good call bud.

Stu- Much more than just storage, I have not scratched the service what the machine can do, but I understand it is pointless when the good folks here are interested in music. Other than the large storage, or using it as a standalone CD player Transport the Media Center offers every bell and whistle when hooking up external DAC's. Every sample rate configurable, every driver in the DAC database imaginable already built in. No installations needed. Just plug and play. Every port two clicks away from changing the sampling completely. This area of fine tuning made Nuck's system sound 100 percent better when using the Grant Fidelity DAC. The pure power of the Optical output for AVR's or DAC's is night and day better than anything like the Apple TV as well. When I had the Apple TV in my theater the sound and video nowhere came close to competing with the Media Center unit. It was like going from NAD to Bryston in terms of both. This is movies, but also reflects the pure sound and syncing capability to any DAC on the market. Also, the Media Center plays EVERY file that can be thrown at it. Not so when it came to the Apple TV. It also has a much nicer GUI and more search and sorting capabilities. It also allows you to burn and album back onto CD with two clicks of the remote. Its a different product. Again, if the Apple TV is doing its job for you then no need to look further. A lot of people will get by with a Media Extender in their systems. But when it comes to music what does Bryston bring over NAD? Better sound, better connectivity, better storage, and of course the flexibility to do absolutely everything in a system and store it all, and be compatible with anything.
Again, I am not knocking the Apple TV. It fills its purpose and for a lot of people it is all they need. It does what it does well. It is a great little extender.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2969
Stu- your current setup is very good. You are already ahead of the curve when it comes to most of the market by just having the Apple TV already. When you get that Bryston DAC though look for something that is going to give the Bryston what it wants in a powerful Optical out with some big time upsampling. If your looking for music only streamers that can do so, shoot me a PM when the time comes as I have a few dandy's off the top of my head. For another thread and time though. Cheers.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2059
Breaking in for just a minute, chaps. For those of you in Betterland north of Duh Border - as in Canada - I read that you're in love with Grant Fidelity DACS? Don't have a clue about them, but thought you might like this link:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/149895-grant_fidelity_dac09/
Just FYI
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14524
Thats me in there early, Lar.
This unit is the same Asian made mass DAC in various packages. The usual.
It upsamples192 without an indicator, so no guarentees on what it is doing.
But choices between, tube output and SS is a good thing, indeed.

I got in early for 300, shipped, so it was easier to try it.
Then it sat forever till Nick got here, that was 3 hrs use then. use then

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3648
Thanks Nick!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2971
Stu- No problem bud. The MC is probably I am thinking going to be most popular with the Home Theater buffs. I got Home Theater nuts with 20 plus thousand dollar systems knocking down my door wanting one. They will have to wait until it goes through hard testing with a few people first. But when building it I had two channel listening in the back of my head at all times. It does everything equal IMO. I know of a few straight Music servers that would save you a bundle and allow you to dial in that wicked Bryston DAC when the time comes.

hmmMMmm dedicated Music Server....hmmmm *thinking*. May have to build one of these.

Larry- Good find

Nuck-Asian made perhaps, but man for 300 dollars, that thing could sing. Oppo what?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2061
Nick/Nuck (tick-tock?) I haven't the foggiest idea what youz guyz are building up there in Canuck-land. . .but I do have a question regarding the DACs. They ARE just for 2-channel, right? They don't have any impact on the 7.1 SACD channels?
One of the reasons I want the Oppo 83SE is its DACs on ALL channels, both CD and SACD.
Got $400 in the kitty now - and by next month I'll be ordering one for my very loving own. SIGH. How does an old dawg wait patiently????
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 2972
Hey Larry. Nuck is running in the unit for me and giving me an honest feedback as a finished demo unit. At the same time I hope he has a blast with it. He paid cash so he can do whatever he likes.LOL!

Larry - All depends on how you hook it up to the system in order to take advantage of the Oppo's DAC's. You using it in a home theater or two channel system?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2062
Yo - Nick: the answer is "both." WHEN I get the new Oppo 83SE I'll be sending the Blu-ray/DVD sound through the 7.1 outputs - the Oppo decodes everything so the receiver doesn't have to do that. Also will put the SACD playback (naturally!) through the 7.1 cables. Then I have good cables - separate set - for "regular" CD playback.
The reason I asked about 2-channel performance only for the DACs I see advertised is that many people claim they get better performance from an outboard DAC than from anything internal to such players as Oppo. That would be fine - except I'll probably spend 80% of my time listening to SACDs or watching DVD/BD discs - thus a "regular" DAC would be a waste of money for me.
I really look forward to the 83SE - with the rest of my kit, it surely will elevate the sonics far above what I have now.
Right at the moment, however, my pressing problem is tweeter replacement on the B&W 705. B&W is sending down a replacement, and the very knowledgeable and helpful tech chap seems very eager to "see how it goes." If the new tweeter makes an appreciable difference in sound over the so-called "good" tweeter in the second speaker, well, I'll surely replace BOTH tweeters then. SIGH.
Who wanted a budget, anyway? GRIN
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 1472
Stu and others that are a bit apprehensive about a dedicated HT server have a point in common with people who do not like to generally buy DVD's at all. That is: why buy this stuff when I don't really plan to watch it more than once. This is a very valid point. At the risk of turning this discussion into something different, I'd like to point out my preference for owning movies when the price is right and how these media servers are useful.

Some years back Ted Turner and his then media conglomerate paid what some said was a laughable $1.5B for the entire movie stock of a movie studio whose name escapes me now (I want to say Warner Brothers). People laughed then, but to this day Time Warner owns all the media rights to tens of thousands of movies which are still watched and enjoyed even as generations pass. It is a source of great income filling many cable channels as well as media rights for DVD's, Blu-rays, streaming media and whatever else comes down the pike, even replaying in movie theaters every so often.

My reason for buying movies is the same. Regardless of the new technologies and methods of delivery, owning a rights to watch a movie will never be legally free. I am (mostly) judicious about what movies I buy and I may, every so often, turn in a few that I really don't like to a local used CD/DVD store, but for the most part they are keepers even if I don't watch them every 5 years or so. Even if I don't watch them, good movies will still remain so to my kids. Recently I bought a 7 pack of classic Marx Brothers movies for $24. I can't tell you what a kick my boys got out of watching them. It still beats so many attempts at comedy in the movie theaters these days. DVD's work fine for a lot of movies. Blu-ray of course adds the dimension of much better sound and resolution which really work for grand movies. I can't wait to see LOTR, Spartacus or Lawrence of Arabia in BD. The ownership of the media is an investment for future entertainment.

Now to the question of why I would be interested in Media servers like this MC unit. The answer is simple: protection of asset. The DVD type media is forever prone to scratches and destruction. It is really flimsy. Makes the old 5 1/4 floppies look sturdy. They can not be copied even for backup purposes, and what is the answer of the studio's when your media fails: Tough luck, get another one. Sorry I'm not down for that and as much as I believe in paying for media rights and supporting the people in the business, this is one greedy aspect of the studio's for which I have no sympathy. This media server is my protection against their greed. The convenience aspect of being able to browse through titles and picking one, especially if we are with a group of friends is always a plus.

Some food for thought

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12032
I own quite a few movies as well.

The thing I never understand is the part about the discs being prone to damage. I own over 4000 little silver discs and not one has a scratch on it. They may be prone to damage but you have to be careless or work at it to scratch 'em.

My wife recently joined Netflix and I'm just blown away by how bad the condition is on those discs. Just awful...I really don't know how that happens. Must be letting the kids play frisbee with them or something.

I have my movies organized by alpha and genre. Several of us can browse my collection at one time.

Have nothing against a media server. Just not sure about the reasoning. The only reason I can see is to save space in your home.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3651
I used to buy a lot of DVDs. Probably more than I should have, as they're piling up and I don't watch them much. I haven't bought any recently. My wife and I had an epiphany - why buy a DVD for $15 when we watch it once or maybe twice at most? If there's something we really want to see, we'll rent it through our cable box. If we really liked it want want to see it again, then we'll buy it. I'm seriously contemplating trading just about all of them in for some music. Places like FYE take used DVDs.

I don't see the point in archiving our DVDs. The movies will take up far more storage space that its worth to us. It doesn't take much effort to get up and load our DVD player. Its not like a CD that you want to hear a few 3 or 4 minute songs and are getting up every 15 minutes. But I understand the appeal others may have. Everybody's got to do what they've got to do.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3652
"Have nothing against a media server. Just not sure about the reasoning. The only reason I can see is to save space in your home."

That and not having them out in the open. They can be an eyesore to some people, and they don't want DVD racks or cabinets in their living room. With a server they can store the physical media anywhere. They also don't have to go to the attic, basement, etc. to find a movie.

It has its advantages, to be sure. The advantages just aren't a priority for me. When it'll be worth the money and effort for me, I'll move in that direction.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3180
I rarely buy movies, but when I do, I usually find myself picking up previously viewed ones from Blockbuster for 3-4/$20; it's actually cheaper than renting the movie in most instances. I can't see myself ever having the need for ripping movies, but I suppose this will appeal to some, and I also suppose its better that the MC can do it rather not

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2065
Art has a good point about disc damage. I've been going through my media files this week - and cleaning the DVDs as I go along. BTW, I use ONLY lens cleaner safe for coated lenses (Sam's Club) and a microfiber towel. It NEVER scratches.
Anyway - I find that my DVDs are generally in pristine shape - as are our friend Art's. But maybe because I'm a "clean" fanatic? I wouldn't think of getting fingerprints - or peanut butter - on a disc.
Oh, I do have a file of DVD movies - 67 to be exact - but I seldom buy any, mainly because: BD is coming out, and I want to buy only BD from now on, if possible - and we've subscribed to Netflix. Wonderful! BUT, as Art says - who uses these discs for yard games? Eh? And yes, I've gotten some with - I hope - peanut butter on them. SIGH.
Streaming and in-mail Netflix serves most of our needs, so I now buy only Opera DVDs (and yes, BDs) pretty much exclusively.
And speaking of disc damage - have y'all tried to scratch a BD? I know, only an idiot. . . . .but their coating is light years stronger than CD/DVD surfaces. I recently watched a Sony BD demo, where the guy asked audience members to come up and try to scratch the BDs with their car keys. Very tough to make a mark on those puppies! Great!
So, in our house, we treat DVD movies as we do books - let the libraries or rental houses store our entertainment for us.
The Oppo 83SE gets ordered March 2nd. . . .
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14528
With a tartget of 4T in music someday, with backup, I do not know where else I wouldkeep it all, LOL!
I see no harm in borowing a cd and making a file, just like the old days when I made a casette of an album.
Did that bother anybody doing that? I didn't.

As far as space goes, it is at a ...uhh...premium here, LOL!

This MC replaces numerous boxes, including the Oppo and apollo.
It can replace my cable box as well as any new DVR that I might have wanted. It replaces my pc as well. It also means online coverage of security cameras. I can remote the pc to skype and forgo phone bills, but that is a little much, I suppose.

Thats a lot of stuff and a whole lot of pricey cables disappearing, indeed.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12033
Chris, the majority of DVD's I own I paid about what you paid, brand new.

Between my wife and I, we have about 1000 titles on DVD and 3000 titles on CD.

My use habits aren't any different for CD's and DVD's. I watch or listen all the way through. I don't own anything that I only want to listen to several songs of. Other than greatist hits compilations (and even some of them) most albums and CD's that I listen to were conceived of as an entire work. Each piece has it's place. Listening to some songs and not others would be like looking at only the upstrokes on a painting and ignoring the rest. You would miss the entire work for the details. Just how I view music...these days kids load it all up on the ipod and hit random play. OK for casual listening, I suppose. Not for me...I have the radio for that.

I can see having an ipod though...maybe soon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3181
Art, just curious, where do you find "brand new" DVDs @ that price?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12034
Target, Best Buy, Fred Meyer, Amazon...and on and on. Just have to be patient and wait for the right sale...and wait until the movie is old enough.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3653
If you travel or drive a lot, the iPod is the best thing to come along in a long time IMO. Everything has its strengths, and portable music is definitely the iPod's.

I bought an iPod adatper for my car about 4 years ago. The iPod gets controlled by the head unit, and is very easy to use. I've listened to maybe 3 CDs in my car since. Knowing what I know now, I'd have bought an iPod just for car if I had no other use for it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1473
Best buy and Target seem to have a bucket with $3.99 and $4.99 DVD's all the time. During black friday sale I picked up 7 BD's for $7.99 and $9.99. As Art said, patience is key.

I guess to each their own. I think for me the merits of this device are plenty.

Now ask me how useful this new iTampon..er... iPad will be and I'll have a whole different view on that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3182
I'm not that patient, the pre-viewed DVDs from Blockbuster start hitting the shelves a few weeks after release.

On a side note, I just got done watching the Mad Men: Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD. I can't believe I have not watched this show till now, this is a seriously good show my friends, better than anything I've watched in years, Season 3 will out on 3/23, and I can't wait.

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
Amazon has some exceptional sales in DVD, CD and Blu-Ray.

If you bookmark the DVD and CD sections, then, check in periodically; you'll stumbkle upon some outrageous sales.

I picked up CSI (The Original) Season 5 for a mere $19.99 and one of the Supernatural seasons for $14.99.

You just have to check in once or twice a day and check prices on what you're looking for.

Create an account at Amazon, then add a bunch of DVDs, Blu-Rays and CDs to your wishlist. That way, instead of having to search for everything you want, individually. They'll be in your Wishlist and you can check the current prices, easily and without all the searching. Believe me, it pays off....big time. And when you buy $25.00 worth of stuff, the shipping is free.

Sometimes the price drops are insignificant and rather silly (a few pennies), but other times......huge price drops!!!! Killer!!!

Make sure to sign up for their e-mail notifications.

And here's another thing, if you buy something from Amazon and it goes on sale within 30 days of the date you boguht it, you can call them, tell them about it and they will refund the difference to your Debit card or Credit card.

They did that with my Jamo C803 speakers. I initially paid full price ($799.00) and they refunded me $200.00 when they went on sale (within 30 days) for $599.00. And that applies to anything you buy from them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2973
lol Chris Mad Men is great.

Larry - Cool stuff

Just to add on the Movies section of the MC. The storage part is just the beginning. What you can do from it from there is where the strengths are. Like streaming it all over you house wireless in full 1080p. It automatically downloads cover art and description info. Or dont store them at all. Right now if I want to watch a blu ray I simply put in the blu ray movie and watch it from the Transport. I put in the highest quality Blu Ray transport out there. What I am using it for mainly is music. Or recording HD tv content while watching a blu ray on it. I tried to hit every purpose possible of using one, and put it all at a high level of quality. To some, they may never use one and may never have a use for it. Some go " oh crap thats cool when can I buy it"? lol Like Stu said, to each their own. Everyone has different outlooks on it, some may never use it, some may only use certain functions, some may use them all.

For the NetFlix guys I can add a NetFlix button in the GUI that allows you to install the NetFlix internet streaming service and allow you to log in on the MC unit with your NetFlix account and rent your movies in full HD right on the Media Center. I took it out by default as I didn't want any gimmick stuff int he User Interface but is this something people would use if I can put it back in there.

Going back to the Movie buying talk. I have about 800 DVD's. About 680 DVD and 120 Blu Ray. I officially will not buy DVD anymore just Blu Ray as DVD compared to Blu Ray is hardly watchable on a 106 inch 1080p screen. On my 50 it was fine but not on the scale I have now. Its terrible. I wont use my own Media Center to rip too many Blu Ray I just watch them off the Disc but I am in the works now of ripping all the DVD's to it so I can free up major space and chuck most of them. I was going to buy a second blu ray player for upstairs but with the Media Center downstairs I have it streaming full 1080p upstairs to the Sony Bravia. So now that my wife can watch movies in the two channel system she is rushing me to get all the DVD's ripped to it.lol. *yeah*

Gold Member

Post Number: 2974
NMyTree- I get most of my blu ray from Amazon too. Great spot with great deals on all the time.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 850
I use my Ipod for 2 things. Music in car....it plugs in
and remote control for Itunes to stereo.

Looks like the future is approaching faster than I thought!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12036
Hey NMT, only problem with the wish list is that you wind up doing a long search anyway...that is when you have over 500 things on the list like I do.

I still buy mostly DVD's and rarely buy a Bluray disc. I have a 46 inch TV and with a beautifully mastered DVD the video is everything I need. I can certainly see the advantage of BD for bigger screens though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1474
Art have you heard the difference in sound in a BD vs. a regular DVD?

That alone makes BD the only way to go for me. I still buy some DVD's, but only where the movie's experience is not really affected by its sound.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2892
I see no harm in borowing a cd and making a file,

Well, artists around the world and recording companies certainly do Nuck. Not only does it push the price of entertainment up for all of us, it could also reduce the amount of entertainment available to us. I'm not being a goody two shoes here, but I do believe artists should be paid by those who want their work in their homes.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12038
I have not Stof, and I won't for some time. My Yammie works great and I won't be buying a new receiver for quite sometime. If I get lucky and fall into some dough, Ill pick up that fab Marantz SR5004. It's an outstanding receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
Art, the solution to that is this.....

Place your top 10 or 20 of what you want, in the Cart and keep it there. Then, all you have to do is check your Cart and see if those specific items have changes in price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1475
Art why can't you listen to BD on your Yammies?

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
Continued....

Then, of the items in your Cart, click "Save For Later" and that will create a seperate list underneath your Cart items; which you can check every time you go, into your Cart.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3655
For the record, I'm not hatin' on the Media Centers. I think they're pretty cool. Nick's sounds great. I'm just saying I have no practical use for one.

Regarding Blu Ray, I haven't made the switch for the simple reason of cost. Even old stuff is around $30, whereas the comparable DVD can sometimes be had for $5 or $10. I guess I'm just not that into movies.

Downloading NetFlix movies makes a lot of sense to me though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
I'm not jumping completely into Blu-Ray. I have over 1,200 DVDs in my collection and I'm happy with most DVDs I have.

I've been picking up a few select, specific movies on Blu-Ray over the last year. And I continue to pick a few here and there. Mostly certain movies that I or my family really love and that benfit greatly from the increased resolution of Blu-Ray. I think some of my favorite older movies or not really old movies, but movies that maybe wer not filmed to the highest quality; look just fine on DVD and don't benefit from the Blu-Ray format.

I still buy DVDs and will contiune to do so.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3611
I've found that some Blu-ray movies actually look worse than their DVD counterparts. The Blu-ray transfer of 28 Days Later was terrible... very grainy.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2893
Costs us between $2.50 and $3.30 to rent a new release BLuray movie depending on the day - weekly ones less. At that price I'm happy to pay again if we want a rerun. We own a just few (but a heap of std DVD's) and I like to buy good music Blurays.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3612
It costs 7.99 here to rent a Blu-ray at Blockbuster (I think) for a 2 day rental. Bring it back late (which I almost always do), pay the late fee, then taxes, I'm actually ahead by buying the Blu-ray and watching it multiple times, whenever I want (I rarely buy discs over 20 bucks).

Silver Member

Post Number: 418
yeah, that's what I was alluding to, David.

Some movies, at this time; look better on DVD. It seems like the increased resolution only magnifies the imperfections or grain of the film print.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1476
Here is 228 of them under $10. Some pretty decent ones

http://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&tag=ecoustics&node=130

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3613
The link is busted Stof.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12039
"Art why can't you listen to BD on your Yammies?"

The Yammie is old and the Panny BD player only has a toslink out.

"Place your top 10 or 20 of what you want, in the Cart and keep it there. Then, all you have to do is check your Cart and see if those specific items have changes in price. Then, of the items in your Cart, click "Save For Later" and that will create a seperate list underneath your Cart items; which you can check every time you go, into your Cart."

I'll try that.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1113
The grainy picture on a Blu-ray is the result of the original media - the film or the sourcefile. It seems that some companies are just copying the DVD file onto the Blu-ray media and nothing else - the result is either a picture the same as the DVD or amplified noise/imperfections. Others are Blu-ray transfers off old/poor film stock - in this case the Blu-ray will just show up the grain in the film. Then there are poor original transfers from the film - not a good original digital scan - gain poor Blu-ray image. If you stick with new titles ie. Watchmen, Terminator Salvation, Iron Man you are very safe and assured of a spectacular image on Blu-ray - absolutely unbeatable in any other digital format.

Now thee are also older films that were shot on very high quality film sock or large aspect film - 50 or 70mm. Films like 2001, The Wizard of Oz will really take advantage of the format. I have 2001 and you can just about see the painstrokes in the backdrops. It's an absolutely amzing Blu-ray. I'm very careful to selectively choose the Blu-Rays' I buy. I only buy those that take advantage of the sound and picture quality that Blu-Ray can provide. Otherwise, you might as well buy on DVD -which you can play on you Blu-ray.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1114
Art, I have a 40 inch Samsung LCD and I can clearly see the difference between Blu-ray and DVD, even though my TV is only 720p capable. Some Blu-ray players do an amazing job of upconverting DVD's but it's the small aspects such as flames, ripples in water, sharp edges, clothing texture details where Blu-ray shows its stuff.
From a sound perspective - if it's a Blu-ray with a Tru-HD or MA soundtrack - it just stamps on DVD sound.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12040
George....I didn't say I couldn't see the difference.

On "some" newer titles on DVD, the mastering is so good that "I" don't need any better. I still like Bluray, but it's not necessary for me to enjoy a movie. There are some older titles on DVD that are just plain grainy and awful to watch, but I don't see that often.

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1115
Oh, I thought it was those eyes of yours Art....just kidding, friend. I get what you're saying; however, though I'm nowhere as much a videophile as an audiophile, I always try to watch Blu-ray. I find my HD TV feed is preferred over DVD. That's not to say DVD is gone but it's going that way. DVD will eventually only be for those low selling titles that the companies don't see worth issuing on Blu-ray....and then the format will change again...the cycle continues.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12041
My vision is going downhill fast....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14529
The hawk eyes are still 20:12 here.
All else is aging with grace.
I think that's the term.
I will take that one.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14530
Back to the OP...

The MC, as a stand alone 44.1 player to DAC is as good as the oppo on everything and more energetic on many albums.

Source first has never been more apparant to me.

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 126
My vision is going downhill fast....
Unfortunately, other senses or faculties don't compensate for this
Tho my wife's memory seems to be getting better at the most inopportune times

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2066
Yo - ART. A long time ago on a Forum not far away you posted some pics of your CD/DVD collections. Been trying to find them, as you've been chatting about the collection.
Others on this Forum might be interested to see your setup? Was it on Teaching Old Dawgs forum? Must have been a couple years ago. If you remember, tweak my memory so I can go back and look - or re-post some pics. Quite an impressive setup, as I remember, sir.
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12044
Probably in the "system pics" thread. Most of it has changed since the ones that you viewed. The pics of the collection were a few hundred cd's ago and I don't remember if I posted a pic of my wife's collection. I'll put some more up soon. Pics of the main setup are on the most recent page of the "system pics" thread, I'm pretty sure.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12045
I juts checked and the system has changed since then. I'm between turntables at present. Waiting to audition a Clearaudio deck. My Rega Apollo and Wharfedale Evo2-10's are up for sale, as well as my Kimber PK10 power cord. Making some changes. I'll post new pics soon, Lar.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2067
Thanks,Art - looking forward. I blush every time you talk about all your kit and collection - mine is so "minimalist" by comparison, sir! GRIN
Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2068
Ah - got the system pics, Art - but I was referring to those pics you took of your vast disc collection - mile after mile of them! GRIN
Impressive. . .

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12046
Actually my main system is more minimalist than yours, Larry. An integrated amp, CD player (not universal), and speakers.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2069
Yeah, Art - but you've got MORE systems than I do! LOL!
Lar

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 127
Nick ..my take on all this is that ultimate control is based on the Windows platform, GUI through a TV in lieu of monitor. Can this design interface with the Apple OS X platform?
I've one Windows based system here at the house, its my work puter.
I do have XP loaded via Bootcamp on my wife's laptop, but that side of the partition is rarely visited.
And, as MS continues to attempt to upgrade their OS, does the MC compatibility easily upgradable?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14531
The MC is running on new Windows7 Bryan, with Nick's mods and Windows deletions or deactivated.

Nick do one in OS X !
Or would you rather remove your own appendix?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3616
Nick might want to remove your appendix for saying such a thing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2975
Bryan- Media Center is running heavily modified Windows 7 Media Center. It plays everything that I have tested. Which is pretty much everything.lol. (Don`t think this answers your question)

Can a system be built by spec, SDK`d (re-programmed), GUI modified, Codecs modified, driver packages modified, file encryption added and much more that is needed to build a high quality MC unit on MAC OSx. No it can`t. Although I did get into some Linux and Unix Media Center GUI control stuff and it was nice but just too clunky. Plus try selling a machine on a Linux platform and have the end user figure that out if he needs to change audio samples.lol No thanks. Cheers Bryan.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2976
David and Nuck = lol ouch boys. Sounds painful.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1477
Nick it's Win 7 x64 I hope?

Also what graphic card are you using if you don't mind me asking? Will you allow for changes to the graphic card if and when it would make sense to do so?

sorry for the busted link on the Amazon, it is rather long. However if you go to the site pick Movies, Music and Games and then Bluray on the top left hand nav and then pick By Price Under $10 again on the left hand nav you can see 288 options. Mostly junk, but the aforementioned 2001 comes right up on my list for $7.99 right now. I want it, but I just don't think I can sit through it again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1479
Hello..Nick?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3622
psssttttt..... Today is Nick's birthday.

Happy Birthday buddy!

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1202
Hey....Happy Birthday, Nick.

Finally legal, eh?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12068
Happy Birthday, Nick! Many, many more ahead...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14539
Happy Birthday Nick!!

Hey, I need you to change something for me from there...haha, kidding!

Enjoy!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2978
lol thanks for the birthday wishes guys!!!

Stryvn - Legal age here is 19 and I turned 28 yesterday that means I have been drinking heavy for at least 15 years now (lol just kidding)

Stof - I made Windows 7 32 and 64 bit images. When it came to making a Media Center the 64 bit is a pain. All the HDMI video codecs are 32 bit. HD tuner is all 32 bit. The 64 bit OS was a pain and in no way benefits the end user when it comes to a Media Center unit. Yeah the limitation of 32 is 4gb of RAM, but no more than that is needed. This is not just building a PC and calling it a media center.lol A lot more goes into it (i found out the hard way) with all the audio/video stuff, encryption and playback for blu ray and HD tv. When it came to most of that the 64 bit OS was clunky and faulty at best. For now a 32 bit OS will be used until the 64 bit one has more support and any of the software/codec/drivers can benefit from the 64 bit OS. Right now, it does not at all. Also, 64 bit OS has active X compatibility issues which is huge for some video/recorded tv playback.

I hand selected a key onboard HDMI chipset which works amazing. I also have narrowed it down to one PCI-Ex card that also works perfectly and will probably add that for the final product. I can't tell you which one I use as in about 25 tested cards and chipsets only 3 or so work the way a Media Center should. Its not as easy as just sticking in any video card with HDMI and calling it a day.lol. I wish. Most cards on the market do not support full LPCM audio, along with the DTS, DD 5,1 and 7.1. A lot claim they do but boy oh boy do they NOT do it right. Plus you right into video syncing issues on blu ray playback where the audio moves away from the video a few seconds. Also run into video dropping out due to the GPU or card not being able to support the load Blu Ray playback puts on it (which is a lot) especially when hooked up to an AVR via HDMI switching. One very high powered sought after card I tested crapped the bed when hooked to a Onkyo HDMI in. Every 5 seconds the picture would shut down then come back on, then make the Onkyo go into a frenzy. This is not a gaming machine, or a Graphical design machine.lol Any of those GPU\s would have worked fine for those. I have had a dozen emails in the last two weeks with people asking when the machine is going to be ready as they were sourcing Media Centers for big installations through computer companies who just put in any kind of part for connectivity and every single person is having issues. No surround sound via Optical or HDMI. Video problems. Syncing issues. Clunky software interfaces for Blu Ray and movie ripping. No Tuner support of HD. The list goes on.

When the time permits though Stof, we probably will allow people do upgrade their cards if they absolutely wanted. Only with cards that we have tested and approve of. Basically there wont be a need for a very long time to upgrade though.

I hope I have been able to explain everything ok this morning, I havn't had my coffee yet and it was my birthday yesterday. lol Cheers.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 2071
Nick - you had your "day" yesterday - and a Happy Birthday to you from Mer and me!
But today is "my day" - new tweeter in the B&W705s and it is so fine that I'm simply amazed! Beautiful! See my rant on the Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks thread - if you wish.
Respectfully. . . .LarryR
BTW - my order for the 83SE goes in on March 3rd. SIGH

Gold Member

Post Number: 1480
Thanks for the detailed explaination (and happy b-lated b-day :-) )

I certainly understand not going the 64 bit route if the codex and drivers are giving your problems. My company is now completely 64 bit and the difference is truly amazing. Every now and then we run into an issue with a 32 bit driver and complain to the manufacturer and they either deliver something quickly or give us a date for when it will be available. Then again we are more worried about SQL Servers, development and optimization tools. Your point about this MC also not being a gaming computer is certainly taken. However the RAM limitation and speed aside, we have found the x64 to be a lot more reliable in recovery from driver problems, and recycling unused resources so they don't build up. I don't think it will be too far before all your issues with x64 are solved. Please let me know when you are comfortable in releasing an MC with it.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1203
PM sent, Nick

Gold Member

Post Number: 2979
Definitely Stof. At work the 64 bit proves much better in most area's, in some not so much. Its definitely better at a working state type OS but in a Media world, its not quite there yet. When I can fully integrate it as well as the 32 I will surely switch over as my cost on Win 7 64 is only 8 dollars more.lol. Money is not the problem, video codecs is. I have heard many good things coming for 64 though. When it does, I will make the switch and let you know.

Larry- Good stuff bud. I will check out the old dogs thread, I havnt checked it out in a Lonnggg time.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2292
B-day? Where the f#$% was I? I must not have made the way to my mailbox in the not too distant past as I missed the invite to the big bash.

Happy belated birthday Nick and a toast to you to boot. Cheers!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2906
The cool people were born this month Nick.

Happy belated B'day!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2980
lol Definitely M.R. Mr Wodek - Did the mailman misplace it? Check your neighbors mailbox.lol.

I am getting up there.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14578
Nick helped me find my way, again, via remote pc, so he can have admin from wherever he is.

Changed today...new optical cable from Nick, some DIY hotrod with no name. Sooo, I swapped from redbook 16 bit to 48/20, and disabled the 192 upscaling on the Grant Fidelity DAC.
This is my preferred method, to scale from the source and go straight through the DAC, using the puters clock.

As I randomly search, a diy forum had a way to use the clock out from the Bryston BDA-1 to pace a transport. re-searching that now.

When I get the new DAC, things will change dramatically, I think.

Ripping cd's is such a thrill.
No tunes whilst ripping, puter radio with airplane headphones, LOL!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14579
I am trying the search and sort functions today.
I ripped Wilcox then tossed it into the pile.
the search function , with 'ilx' in the field brought up wilcox.
I was offered to link to lyrics and liner notes to download. I have not enabled oroginal videos to store as well, to play with the tune.

There is so much stuff here that I am a bit overwhelmed.
Tagging is auto. Pick and choose. WOW!

Like freaking, really, WOW!

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 817
"I swapped from redbook 16 bit to 48/20, and disabled the 192 upscaling on the Grant Fidelity DAC."

I didn't know you could "upscale" word length. Upscaling the sampling rate yes, just not the word length. Is going from 44.1/16 to 48/20 an improvement Nuck over just letting 44.1/16 go straight through from puter to dac to amp ?

My experience with this has typically been that leaving the source in native format yields the best results, but obviously each setup is different so I guess trial and error is the only way to validate.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14580
The uprating of word length inserts spaces to increase, Chris, and as I understand it, the clockrate is improved to meet the longer string, while ignoring the spaces or blocks.
I desperately need to be corrected if I am wrong, which is likely.

As opposed to uprating on the playback or analogue, the file comes out of the MC at any chosen rate, as the file is modified at the core.
The source can and will modify the file to meet any requirement, by using the blocks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14581
This is where I am hoping to make the most gain, using the MC to scale, and the Bryston DAC doing a straight through with balanced output to the Mac.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2984
"No tunes whilst ripping, puter radio with airplane headphones, LOL!"

Hey buddy while your ripping you can listen to anything off the system you want. I will show you tonight. Cheers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14582
How's that for customer support, eh???

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3638
Good think Nick Inc. hasn't outsourced customer support off-shore.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14583
If you are not going to buy that magazine, please put it back on the shelf.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1481
..but but, I'm not reading the magazine. I'm just looking at the pictures.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 818
"The uprating of word length inserts spaces to increase, Chris, and as I understand it, the clockrate is improved to meet the longer string, while ignoring the spaces or blocks. "

I would think it would add zeros to pad the word length, but fundamentally you would still have a 16-bit word length, albeit in 20-bit form. No additional information or benefit to my understanding at least. The upsampling would hopefully ignore the padded 0's, as to factor them in would result in some degredation. I thought that the 48/20 format was a DAT format but I could be wrong on that one.

What I would do is pass it through in its native format, and then compare everything else to that. Some people like the upsampling results, depending on the processor crunching the numbers. But I've read in a couple of places that the processors in a lot of the low end DAC's are not capable of doing the math required to accurately do the upsampling they are claiming. I was reading about the Bryston unit and it apparently has some major horsepower under the hood to do the math required.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1482
Chris proper use of pattern recognition can allow you to upsample with desired results. The coding required for something like that should not be too intensive for any processors that are used these days. We have done quite a bit of interesting stuff using pattern recognition, not in this particular area, but in BI stuff.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 819
"Beyond having a USB controller instead of an input receiver chip, the Brick shares a number of similarities with the other D/A converters in the Wavelength stable--key elements of which are Gordon Rankin's fondness for simplicity and purity, and his disdain for oversampling filters. Like Junji Kimura of 47 Laboratory, whose Shigaraki 4715 D/A converter I wrote about in the March 2003 Stereophile, Rankin opts for a zero-oversampling approach, suggesting that digital filters are an unnecessary evil in the first place, and that oversampling, in particular, creates more problems than it cures. "I have a degree in mathematics," he says, "and one thing I firmly believe is that none of these [consumer audio] products, with the possible exception of dCS, has the processing capabilities to actually do the math they need to do. But more important, I don't want to destroy the intent of the original music. My approach is: no math in, no math out.""

http://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/905listen/#

Gold Member

Post Number: 2992
In my testing setting the Output to the matching 192 out resulted in much better results for upsampling. However, upsampling is questionable. It does take a whole lot of Processing power to take in the amount of data it needs to take in and process it out. Not only a lot of data, but it is coming in so fast. By far the best results to date for upsampling was the Bryston DAC. It was very good. I have a older MBL DAC coming this Saturday that should easily rival the Bryston for processing power and sound. It was a 14,000 dollar DAC five years ago. It has been replaced now, but my price on this one is dirt cheap so I picked it up for a test drive.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12165
I'd be very surprised if that MBL was as good as the Bryston, very surprised.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2994
http://www.mbl-usa.com/

Hard to say Art. http://www.mbl-usa.com/ MBL make some hardcore high end stuff. But it all depends on what you like. You don't like MBL stuff?

FWIW Just built another MC unit this morning. Upgrading the VFD display to LCD and more powerful PSU. Also testing new GPU with another HDMI. If I decide to keep any of the upgrades as a final build spec then Nuck gets the upgrades free of charge.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2995
I added some dampening and even though the system noise level was dead quiet before, I think I was able to drop it even more. Nuck, I will mail you the extra dampening and walk you through how to install it.

MBL is hooked up and playing some tunes. Will give final thoughts in a day or two.

Silver Member

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 152
Nick,
When are we going to see ads for this creature?
Keep it up, I might just be tempted to go over to the dark side

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14603
It gets quieter? COOL! never hear it now, hehe.

I am holding the proper review until Nick is settled on the goods and ready to deliver en masse

I also need to find a local HT nut to run all the channels.
As I type, I know just the guy!!!!

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1119
Man you guys are going with this. Sounds like skukworks...Nick's n' Nuck's skunkworks. Great to hear it's coming along.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2996
George/Bryan - PM's sent gentlemen.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3694
Art and Nick -

When Bryston developed their DAC, they said they were surprised by how little the DAC chip influenced the overall sound. It made a difference, but not nearly as much as power supplies (regulation and noise), output devices, and so on. I'm pretty sure the MBL used pretty high grade stuff. Even if the chip is a bit long in the tooth (as Frank used to say), I doubt there's a lot that would comptete with it that's being made today. I'm not talking personal preferences.

A good example of that is my Theta DAC. Its about a decade old, yet it sounds better than some current stuff I've heard. The chip may be outdated, but everything in front and behind it isn't. I'm contemplating getting a Monarchy Audio DIP (reclocker) to see what effect jitter reduction has on it. It may scratch the upgrade itch for a while.

But the BDA-1 is about as good as it gets to my ears. I haven't heard anything better.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 12177
I remember when a friend compared his (this was a a while back) very expensive DAC and transport to his brand new midfi CD player. He was surprised to find that his mid fi player spanked the older DAC/transport combo.

The MBL may be as good or better, but I would be surprised.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14604
When I get the bryston, Nick, we should A/B

Gold Member

Post Number: 2997
In my experience most 500 dollar DAC's outperform (if setup properly) sub 1500 dollar CD players. But I think I know what your saying Art, his DAC was of older technology compared to his new CDP? Point taken. Stu, your point is also well taken. The MBL is only 4-5 years old. It was released in 2005. It will be interesting. I will be surprised if it beats the Bryston as well, to be honest. But this thing is a monster, interesting and fun test.

Nuck A/B sounds good to me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us