Home Theater

Username: Davide128

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to purchase a mid-range receiver. I'd like to know which Brand is best. I'm mostly interested in watching surround sound movies/blueray/dvfd on it, not going to use it so much for music . I was going to purchase the marantz sr5004 but I have been reading that it's great for music but not so much for surround sound HT enjoyment. Can anyone recommend any receivers. Thank You.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1001
Greetings Davi,

You can easily gather a ton of conflicting opinions on this subject but you really can't believe any of them unless you listen to the actual sound for yourself. In other words, see if you can find the Marantz in a store and listen to see if you agree with the opinion you cite.

Other brands to look at (among many):
Yamaha
Onkyo
Denon
Pioneer
Harmon Karden

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 53
Harman Kardon just put out a new line up, it seems to be geared back towards their higher end roots rather then the big box store crowd that they have tried to attract over the last few year. The AVR 2600 looks interesting. Might be something to check out.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=AVR%202 600

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 816
I not only would listen, but I'd look and get a good demo.
I would consider the ergonomics and 'usability' of any of these very elaborate HT receivers.

If you have to dig down 4 or 5 layers of menu to get to what you want, I'd tend to skip it.

Gold Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 1008
Ah yes, good point Leo,

In addition the remote control, believe it or not, should be a big consideration! Can it be used in the dark? If not...

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 818
I can use most of my stereo and all of my photo gear without, or in minimum light. Even my HP calculator.....
I have several remotes 'memorized'.

My OPPO's remote is a glow-in-the-dark, which while cool is of limited utility.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us