Vintage stereo receivers

Bronze Member
Username: Smokemonster

Post Number: 39
hi all, just wanted to put in my 2 cents. i did not know that so many people were into older receivers. like 70's or early 80's models. i like the retro looks of some of them especially the analog meters and the am/fm tuning strip across the front. the interesting wood construction and the furniture grade finish is pretty cool too. i wished that there was a company that made new receivers with that older retro look, but with up to date electronics inside, i think outlaw had one out for a short time. but i don't know of anyone else. how about any of you people,

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1400
For a stereo receiver there hasn't been much to change in terms of internals so I am not sure what you would be looking for in this current but retro looking receiver. IMHO, thebiggest reason that many of the members here use vintage gear is that we find the sound to be more pleasing and many times the build quality is still far superior to current gear. Also, many people currently into hifi are of the baby boomer age and grew up using the 70's 80's gear and have grown to like that gear. I am sure that some even like the nostalgic value of the older gear. Many that are into older gear will also swear that vacuum tube electronics are far superior to current solid state gear, LPs are better than CDs or extend that to reel to reel is better than everything. I hate to admit it, but I did buy an amp, which I still have, because it came with an optional meter that goes in front of the amp. Watching it jump around with music doesn't seem to get old.

Bronze Member
Username: Smokemonster

Post Number: 41
yea, i guess im a baby boomer (54). i like the meters too. i have a harman kardon avr635, and i swear if i close my eyes it sounds like my old marantz i had in "72". it has that warm sound. what i wished i could find is the high tech inards, with that old time (70's) look. like i was saying in my last post is that outlaw made one thats just about what i want. RR-215 but i would like to see the meters and maybe the strip style tuning with fm on top and am onthe bottom. ive been searching and all i came up with is teac plastic fake nockoffs. oh well, im going to keep looking. maybe ill just buy the outlaw.Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us