Upgrading from Klipsch RSX-5, need advice

Username: Derrtel

Post Number: 7
Hi,
I currently have 2 Klipsch RSX-5 speakers as front speakers in my HT setup and I'd like to change them for something better, with more power but also more details/clarity.
My budget is around 800$ for the pair.
I've looked at some Paradigm and Wharfedale speakers that I liked but I wanted to know if you guys had any recommendations or advices for me.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14449
You want more detail than Klipch?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3575
"...something better, with more power..." Speakers don't have power, amps have power. What are you driving them with?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3576
Those RSX speakers are pretty tiny. If you like the Klipsch sound, you should upgrade to at least some RB bookshelves or RF floorstanders.
What's your center channel?

Post Number: 8
I know speakers don't have power ... I meant speakers that can handle a bit more since the're only bookshelves speakers they are limited in terms of "range" and can't handle as much bass as bigger speakers.
I'm powering them with an a/v receiver from Denon, model avr-1910, and my center channel is a Klipsch rvx-42.
I didn't mention it but the room they're in is rather small so I doubt that it would be useful to go with the biggest ones like the klipsch RF-83 for example, but yes I like the klipsch sound and I could definitely go with klipsch again.
Also, there's already built-in storage in the room and that works really well for the tiny rsx-5. I know I'll have to go with bigger speakers but I'd still like to be able to advantage of the built-ins and I was wondering if there's something bigger than the rsx-5 you would recommend that would still be a bit less massive and imposing than floorstanders.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3577
If it's a small room, how about 4 Paradigm Atoms and a CC-190 centre channel. Perfect for a small room.

Post Number: 9
I only want to change my 2 front speakers, I'm satistfied with the other speakers (rvx-42 for CC and 2 other rsx-5 as surrounds). I don't want to spend too much so I guess I should keep those to stay within my 600-1,000 budget.
I just looked up the paradigm website and the Mini Monitors and Titan Monitors are very interesting. I'll call my dealer this week to know about prices and audition them, I think this could be a perfect match for what I need.
I also looked at Klipsch RB-61 and RB-61, they seem great too.
Do you think it would be better to stay with Klipsch since the 3 other speakers are klipsch too? Are the paradigm going to blend well with the rest of the speakers?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3578
If you're going to stay with the Klipsch center, then I'd buy the RBs.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 998
What are you using for a sub woofer in your set up Derik?

Post Number: 10
My subwoofer is a paradigm pdr-8 v.4. I know it's a rather small one but I'm not planning to change it it the near future, I think it fills the room pretty well and I'm satisfied with it although I coud definitely use a pdr-10.

As far as the Rbs are concermed David, which would you choose between the RB-61 and the RB-81 ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
I ask because from your original post, what you seem to be alluding to as far as whats missing from your system might be more easily fixed with a sub woofer rather than new speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I agree that a 10'' sub would be a good addition but still I like the pdr-8.
The thing that is missing is not necesserily bass, I think my sub handles well the lowest frequencies and my HT setup is perfect for movies for the size of the room. The tings is, when I listen to music (I listen to maybe 80% music and 20% movies/tv) I feel like there some part of the frequency range that's missing. The rsx 5 are great as far as high and mid frequencies are concerned and I really enjoy their "punch", but I feel like there's something missing between the mid and mid-low frequencies of the rsx-5 and the low frequencies of the sub.
I did the sound setup using the automatic Audissey MultEQ that came with my receiver, so I don't see any other tuning I could do to deal with the "missing frequencies"
That's why I think I should change the front speakers rather than the subwoofer, although I may be wrong.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1408
I was never impressed with the overall quality of the pdr sub series. I had that exact sub and swapped it out. I also found those speakers you have to be OK as far as sats are concerned.

If it were me, I would trade (or sell) both the speakers AND the sub and get better mains that way, because neither currently is particularly impressive sq wise IMHO. But if you are happy, that is what matters.

Personally, I feel that klipsch has gone mass market with the new reference line in looks and sonics. The last time I went speaker shopping I listened to a pair and was not impressed. They were treble foreward and aggressive, in your face presentation. They accentuated siblants, and were hard to listen to.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1409
So if and when you go speaker shopping, keep that in mind. I grew tired of the sound rapidly.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3579
Klipsch can indeed be very fatiguing. In the showroom it stands out because of it's aggressiveness, but at home it can be overwhelming.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1004
The ideal situation Derik, would be to get a pair of speakers from a local store home to audition. You can then verify your suspicion without actually getting stuck with something you do not like.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1401
Gavin, my exact experiences with Klipsch. However, that doesn't stop me from wanting to get a hold of some Klipschhorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, or their other older designs and a nice SET.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3581
That would be cool.

My wife would kill me if I came home with a pair of La Scalas.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Alright,
I guess I'll pay a visit to my dealer to see what they have and audition and compare different speakers.
Thanks to everybody for helping me out!

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1410
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/new/599786.html

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 817
Christopher, the stereo store near me has a pair of old Klipschorns.
I don't know from model, but they are for corners, They want 3 large for what they call corner loaded, from about '67.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1412
Those are the k-horns
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us