HELP with feedback

Username: Lapos1979

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

I'm at my wits end and need help. i have a pair of Wharfdale active/powered monitor speakers. I use these in my home DJ set up and have recently only been using one speaker to monitor due to lack of space. I now have more space so put the 2nd speaker back on but the second i wire in both speakers i get a horrible, loud hum. It doesn't matter what audio device i connect them to the same thing happens.

Both speakers work fine individually but the second they're on the same device....hummmmmmmm

What can it be??

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 799
Are they (the speakers) plugged into the same circuit?

Ground loop, anyone? Are the power plugs std IEC polarized, or something like a C7 non-polarized connector.

If non, than swap ONE and try again.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14438

If the speakers get their AC power from different circuit breakers, you could have a ground loop.

Swap the speakers' interconnects channel for channel at the speaker/internal amplifier input and then at the board(?) output, right speaker becomes left and left speaker becomes right.

What happens?

Username: Lapos1979

Post Number: 2
Hi guys,

Your quick responses are truly appreciated but unfortunately I'm not that technically minded so layman terms a required I'm afraid.

I have plugged them mains leads into the same power point then i even tried different rooms but same problem.

My speakers are Wharfedale diamond 8.2 pro active if that helps?

Leo, the plugs are the 3 pin kettle style lead if that answers your question?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14430
My momma had a kettle, we sang with it.

Lapos, your kettke runs are out of phase.
The center pin and outer pin have vrossed, both cables/speakers must be the same.

Seek out a friendly fellow nearby to measure the cables and make them the same. Stop where you are, this is simple for a handy electrics guy.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 806
Lap,
Not that it will help with this shunt, but you may want to get an outlet tester. Pretty cheap way to check an outlet for proper configuration.

Are kettle plugs some kind of non-US standard? I am used to IEC std, of which there are bunches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us