SPEAKER PREFERENCE (WHICH DO YOU PREFER)

Bronze Member
Username: Smokemonster

Post Number: 24
high guys its upgrade time again. could you guys maybe give me a little of your time to help me decide on a course of action? i just bought a new in the box harmen kardon avr-635 7.1 av receiver. this receiver pushes 50 amps of high current power. so i would like to get somthing nice. i don't want to go the tower route, so i am going to buy bookshelves. ok, i was looking at a set of definitive tech. studio monitor 450"s or a set of psb image b6 speakers. there are no stores in my area that carry these speakers, so i can't listen to them first. if any of you guys have heard or own any of these two speakers. i would really like to hear your opinions on them. i found the def techs for $319.00 and the psb's for $370.00.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11889
I would take PSB's over Def Tech's every day of the week.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2844
Even Sunday Art?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 792
Smoke,
having someone recommend speakers unlistened by YOU the ultimate user and person who must live with them is a BAD idea.

That being said, Art has a trustworthy ear and good sense, though we differ on my panels....lol.

more info would help, as well as a trip to someplace where you can actually listen to some speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
ok, what about the price on the psb b6? is $370.00 good or bad? for the pair

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
ARE THESE SPEAKERS JUNK? CERWIN VEGA VE-12F FOR 350 A SET THEY LOOK COOL BUT HOW DO THEY SOUND?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 794
CVs are considered lofi and not for the serious audio guy.

Your 350$ will go further / better elsewhere.

Some nice standmount are indicated.

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 52
Mordecai, a guy on the forum used wharfedales diamonds on a Harman Kardon for a while might want to shoot him a message or look through one of the big wharfedale chats

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3552
I've had good luck with PSB speakers. In fact, I have an ancient, dinged-up pair of Alphas which still sound great. I think I paid 75 bucks for them.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3625
PSBs are significantly better than Def Techs to my ears. There's nothing the Def Techs do that PSBs don't do better.

But that's just me. And probably a ton of others too.

Username: Ironheart

Plymouth, Ma The best one...

Post Number: 4
Question that needs answering is what size is the room your looking to fill with sound? What will they be hooked up to ? A PC , home theater, a bar set up? My PC is set up in the corner of a 20X20 room I had a 5.1 set up of Klipsch 400 watts was way to much for the room so I went with the 2.1 Klipsch 200 watts Just a set of 2 desktop speakers with a sub under These little 2.1 buggers banged louder than the 5.1 . The Klipsch are louder and more dependable than BOSE. Hard to believe but it's true. i crank these buddies all the way up there is no crackle, distortion at all at full blast . Once you get the room size to speaker size ratio down the rest is history. Having had Bose , Boston acoustics , JBL, Alpine , I have to say Klipsch are well worth a look. I hope you go to Best Buy and test out a set 7 make sure your not scared to crank them all the way up. Thats why they are there!

Post Number: 5
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=klipsch+bookshelf&tag=googhydr-20&inde x=aps&hvadid=3070010729&ref=pd_sl_krvbec6kf_b
Check these out

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
i have heard them ,if i was to buy a set it would be the rb-81. but they seem a bit brite for my liking. i tried bose several times and each time was worse than the previous time. i think i i am going to go with def tech for the home theater. and the psb b-6 for stereo music. i couldn't decide so i got both.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
hi, i found these speaker cables at cables to go. velocity awg-12Upload they work pretty good

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
oh, i forgot to mention that they were only $18.99 for a 10 foot pair

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 809
do they come banana / spade?
For 20$ out the door, it would be a cheap experiment.

They are not rebadged Monster, are they?

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1399
MassBass....

Definatly wont take that seriously

Post Number: 10
Gavin;Whats that Sir?
The book shelves?
The Kitsch's? I'm new to this web site but not to audio/video world
I am totally impressed with the performance of these speakers. I'm 42 years old certainly no kid & Ive played with my share of speakers in my life. I know quality when I see & hear it. I think Bose has lost a step or 2 in their quality department. Did I miss something here? Have you ever tested the Klipsch. The best system Ive ever heard was in a Toyota pickup truck and the speakers were Pyle drivers I love a system you can crank all the way up and have no worries of distortion, or blowing anything apart. Since then the closest Ive been able to come to that on a PC is with these Klipsch Read some reviews on them 1,200 people cant be wrong I chose them for the sound/quality They are very heavy for a desktop 2.1 system & ya just cant beat the price .Gavin I wish I could show you the comparison between the Bose 2.1 Companion 5 system and the Klipsch THX Pro media 2.1 But go to Best Buy and you can see for yourself. They sound louder , clearer , and they are built better and to top it off they cost 250 dollars less at $150 VS $399. I'm not kidding either Seems to me America's Oldest Speaker Company is building Quality once again!! Glad to see it 60 years they have been around i never knew that . Here are the BOSE http://www.crutchfield.com/p_018COMP5/Bose-Companion-5-system.html?tp=252&tab=fe atures_and_specs HERE are the KLIPSCH 2.1
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview/

Please read the reviews, don't just take my word only.
If they didn't rock & impress the sheet out of me like no speaker has I would not waste my time typing this much on my day off. I am gaining nothing from this

Respectfully
Rick.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I learned the hard way about 15 years ago, Even a quality brand name speaker can turn out junk. i bought a set of BOSE speakers for my car. When i opened them I noticed a nice rip on both speakers. I hadn't even got them out of the Styrofoam all the way when i noticed the tear & I didn't even open the second one till we got back to the store The kid working there wanted to go to the hospital... opps I mean he didn't want to return them at first, saying I did it improperly installing them I asked for the manager I had him open the second one and sure enough it was torn also. I said SIR I just left here 20 minutes ago & the other speaker is still in the sealed plastic in the sealed box. After arguing an hour I got him to give me my money back - a 15% restocking fee, I was soooo mad. I was determined to seek out a better speaker & I found it at half the price. In Klipsch

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14442
Nice store.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Yes, fair to say I have not been back since...I'm pretty sure it was Tweeter. Karma's a beach because they went belly up in Ma.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1403
I have had both the Bose and klipsch 2.1 PC setups, and the klipsch are OK at best. They sound very hollow. Sure they are loud, but they put fidelity in the back seat.

IMHO if you want a good PC speaker setup, wait til the new 2 piece from b&w is out. That will be much better sonically.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11942
Audioengine A5's...read the reviews. I will have a set in a week or two.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1396
M-Audio seems to also have some pretty good speakers as well. I had the klipsch's as well and found them to sound better than logitech's but nothing mind blowing. I have a set of Insignia speakers wired to my Logitech Z-2300 and that sounds infinitely better than the Klipshs and the original Logitech speakers.

Mass, I can only presume that your comments are a big joke. Pyle is widely considered trash among car audio circles far from your singing praises. I also have a hard time connecting the OP's question to your suggestion of a set of PC speakers. Call it bizarre but your suggestions are way off topic. I also find it hard to believe that you bought a set of Bose speakers from any retailer considering that as far as I can tell, Bose never sold car audio products directly to consumers, only through complete OEM car audio systems in new automobiles. It is also impossible for you to have used any Klipsch product in you car for audio when Klipsch has never made a car audio product in it's entire existence. The story was nice but most likely not true.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
THAT WAS TOO WIERD MAN.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1406
Klipsch owned Pyle for a brief time and put their logo on the box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I never said I had Kilpsch in a car, If you are referring to the part of the post where I said I was determined to seek out a better speaker peroid.Back then I was Bose this Bose that. All I was trying to say was I was fed up with there lack of quality.Sorry if you misunderstood me. Also I'm sorry about the missed connection with the OP's question my fault I thought we were in the Desktop / PC / Speaker section . My fault. I must have clicked the wrong button. I honestly did buy a set of Bose speakers from 'Tweeter" I can scan and post a copy of the receipt. For all I know they may have ordered them for someone else of had them around but i assure you Every word I type is true . Furthermore I resent the fact you would imply otherwise. Perhaps you should think a little more before you go opening you accusing assuming mouth, son. I would think someone with "Gold status" wouldn't be so hostile to a new person here in the forum. Then again, what can you expect from someone that drives a Saab? The Pyle Drivers I'm talking about were in a brand new 1984Toyota today's "audio circle" s prob were not even born then If they have become junk over the years I would not know . I do know back then they kicked. So even the Klipsch Bookshelves I posted the link too was bizarre as well? Gavin I look forward to checking out the B&W when will they be out?

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1407
They are called the MM-1 and may be out already. I know they were due to come out some time at the beginning of 2010

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
every few months i see ads on tv for a MEGA SALE SELLOUT. usually at the fair grounds or civic center. they advertise the biggest and best bargains in the world. like pc's for $50, or home theater in a box for 40. and they allways have pyle speakers and pyramid car stereos. i went to one last year for fun. they charge you like 10 bucks just to get in. but this is the funny part, i saw loads of people coming back in with their receipts in their hands. and the pyle boom box subwoofers. sounds like they got a real good deal. they might have one or two name brands, they are beat up the lower end of the line. GOOD TIMES HAHA

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I got my 2.1's at Best Buy

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1397
MassBass, considering your profile reads like an advertisement for Klipsch, I don't see how your comments can be taken without a grain of salt. If you found my comments offensive then I apologize for your inablilty to write in the English language and convey your thoughts properly. Do not blame me for the way your comments were written and the ease of which they could be misunderstood. Hey, maybe if you provide the model number of these Bose speakers you bought maybe I can take you more seriously. If you would like me to be hostile then I can be. If you want me to be critical, then I already have been. If you want to contribute to this thread then do so, but remember to read the thread title and which section of the forum it is in.

smoke, refer to your other thread for more input on what speakers you may want. This thread has obviously went off the tracks and for that I apologize to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
thats ok man, i find most of the posts very interesting to read. some answer my questions, some are funny, and some arn't very nice, but to each his own.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Is this or isn't this in the PC / Desktop section? Yet you post the following ...
."but remember to read the thread title and which section of the forum it is in."
I drill water wells & Install water filtration systems for a living. I do not Sell Speakers I just like to spread the word of a good deal when I find one. I'm about the sound and quality of a product not the name!!

Critical to say the least. Most are when they can hide behind a PC screen and not face the person they are criticizing or calling a liar face to face. Why don't you take it easy life is to short.. I'm sorry if I'm bringing attention to speakers that cost half as much as the ones you paid top dollar for and sound just as good. I guess I would be kind of pissed as well and probably talk them down as well . This is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.. Just as you are yours. Is this English clear enough for you son? Now I will most likely get tossed out of here for speaking my mind but that's the way I am. & you started off by calling me a liar when I take great pride in my honest ways... Smoke I also would like to apologize for getting off the subject. Normally I don't get this involved in a dispute with someone but this kid is out of line, calling me a liar

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2861
If you go to the computer section you'll find a thread on speakers.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1399
Thank you MassBass for editing your post so it is in coherent English. I find it amusing that you pride yourself in your "adult" like behavior and yet you act like such a child. If you said something so grossly inaccurate, as you have claimed in you anecdote, then yes, I would call you a liar to your face even if you were some big burly well digger. As far as I can see, it still is a lie as you still haven't provided anything to support your claim that Bose ever made a car audio product, like a set of speakers, that could be purchased by a consumer. If it ends up that they did, for some brief period of time, then I would gladly apologize for calling you a liar. Until then, it still stands that you are a liar.

I will let you get off of your high horse first, then ask you how you could assume that I or any of us for that matter bought our gear for for what ever prescribed cost that you seem to deem as "top dollar". I actually bought all my gear used from either ebay or audiogon at a fraction of the original price making it far from top dollar. Although, it could be seen as a premium system to some people. I am not quite sure how you can assume that I would be jealous over a system that I got rid off because it blew and I didn't like how it sounded. Then jump to the conclusion that I would talk down upon those that find it to be good. You don't know why I didn't like the system so it would be a bit daft to make the accusations that you have thrown in my direction. I enjoy life quite alot and enjoy my system quite a lot so no need to ask that pops. Take a chill pill old man.

In case you didn't catch that, I called you pops and old man as it is not appreciated by most regardless of age to be called son or kid. But I am sure you caught that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Ok guys that quite enough! This was my thread, and i was looking for some good ideas. Im not to impressed with the so called leaders of this forum. By leaders i mean high post count. I would think that you would like to help people, instead of insulting them. I like to pop in and out and get some good ideas to try inmy home. And all i see is you guys picking on new people, trying to make them look stupid and feel they should not be here. I didn't know this was the FIGHT ROOM!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thanks for the effort "Smoke" Ive since found a better forum with people that choose their speakers for there sound and clarity Not just for the name on the speaker & they treat each other with respect and consideration from what I can see so far. You are correct Smoke Ive never seen such hostility from a so called leader that has "lived" on this board since 2004 . I'm out of here.I would like to apologize to the rest of you guys like Gavin, I noticed your sense of humor right away & enjoyed it. I'm sure all the people on this board are great. Like they say .."It only takes one bad apple".... . I guess there are no Moderators on this board.. That might explain why someone so stuck up & rude & confrontational has been around since 04. It is quite obvious this person feels threatened by me in some way. .So knowing this I will that the high road!
I shall "Roll Out" as we called it in the 82nd
Respectfully
Rick}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us