Dire straits

Anonymous

Here's the score fellas. I was quoted a very reasonable $500 for HK AVR 330 from a reputable, authorized HK internet dealer. The question I have is whether its worth it. I am interested in Marantz 5400/6400 but am a little put off by HK's perceived lack of power. Any input? How does HK 330 compare to Marantz 5400/6400? Oh deal is off tomorrow afternoon.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 368
Anon,

Who perceives that HK has a lack of power? In reality, HK receivers are some of the most powerful out there. HK is one of the few mass market brands that is actually honest in their power ratings. They rate their power with all channels driven simultaneously, wheras most other mass market brands (i.e. Yamaha, Sony, etc) rate their receivers with only one or two channels driven. This leads to an artificial inflation of power ratings for these brands. Therefore, HK looks like they don't stack up, but in reality a 50wpc HK has the same or more power than a 100wpc Yamaha or Sony. The average consumer is not aware of this and usually picks a receiver largely because of power ratings. In most situations, the HK will provide more than enough power.

As far as comparing HK and Marantz, their sound will be similar. Both have a very warm and inviting sound. The HK may sound a bit warmer with the Marantz tending toward the neutral sound more. The HK is a seven channel receiver while both Marantz models are only six channel. Power wise, the HK would probably be closer to the Marantz 5400, although there is only ten watts difference between the two Marantz models. If I read it right (sometimes manuals are hard to understand in this area), the HK also offers a powered zone 2 capability also

Anonymous

Thanks Johnny. Points taken. Anyone else with any input? I was told this deal is only good through this A.M., so the clock's ticking. Berny? Hawk?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 884
The HK 330 is a very good receiver. I haven't found it lacking in anything as far as power is concerned. It can drive a lot of speakers that a lot of other receivers can't tolerate. The Marantz is no slouch either, so the question is which of the features can you live with or without.

Bronze Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 78
I personally like the Marantz better than H/K but that is just a personal opinion. I find the H/K to sound very nice with music but with movies I find its presentation to be more laid back and missing in detail. The audio drop out issue I had with the AVR430 & 630 was quite frustrating with HDTV viewing.

Good luck - as always, try to listen to both and see what YOU like best (if possible). Some pick H/K, some pick Marantz and other choose everything else under the sun.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 497
i think everyone is spot on hear with their
descriptions of these recievers and if i had to
pick it would be a tough choice.

so with what everyone has said.

it could come down to romote/looks/price/options
or if you could audition and form your own oppinion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us