NAD does it again.....

Bronze Member
Username: Seamus

Post Number: 24
For all of you who clicked through expecting a frustrated note on humm, hiss, blank displays, popping sounds, non-recognition of digital inputs... you will be dissapointed !! Got myself a T763 with the new PSB Image series speakers (T45, C40, B15). No sub as yet.

It's been about a couple of weeks, so have had a chance to run through quite a few DVD's and CD's... AND IT WORKS GREAT !! Because of all the posts here, I was extra careful in trying to check if my unit was plagued with the common problems. Fortunately, no luck in finding the problems - it's absolutely silent with the DVD paused (on DD, DTS and every other format possible).

But of course, what brings on a smile everytime I switch it on is not the absence of problems, but the divine sound. Now I'm no audiophile - had actually bought a B*S* LS system, but this is miles ahead in terms of audio quality... and it cost me the same ! I will not go into writing about the NAD sound - that's been done quite often by people much better than me in doing justice to it... what I can say is that the combination sounds way better than an HK - KEF Eggs combo that a friend has. Much more refined and lifelike than the overly bright HK-KEF IMHO. I just hope my boss doesn't mind my running away from office rather early every evening...

So that's my experience. One more satisfied user. Does this make a statistical difference on the "NAD : To be or not to be" thread ?

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 366
Seamus,

I am very glad to hear of your NAD success!! Congratulations!! From someone who has a similar system (T762, Image 2B and 9C), I am with you brother on the superb sound. For this type of money, I think the setup is hard to beat. I wish you many years of listening pleasure.

If I may, can I ask what your impressions are of the new Image series speakers? Did you listen to any of the "older" models anywhere in your auditioning process? I have never had the chance to listen to the new models, but I have heard that the changes are purely cosmetic (new finishes, silver grills, etc). What are your feelings on this?

Gee, who would have thunk it...someone bought an NAD and it has no problems...obviously you got the only working one within 300 miles. You better go play the lottery...your luck is running good!! :-) Once again...congratulations and good luck!!

(The above paragraph was said in a sarcastic manner...please take it as such) :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Johnny,
Unfortunately, I can't comment on the comparative performance of the new Image series - the local distributor did not carry the original line. According to them, Europeans like the new lightwood/silver finish more than black ash, and hence they waited for the new line before ordering.

I do think that the changes are purely cosmetic. It did help to swing the WAF though.

And yeah, no hiss/hum issues with all the NAD receivers I had auditioned, plus a working unit out-of-the-box !!! That's quite an amazing run, isn't it ? What are the odds of that happening ?

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 367
Any changes that are able to swing the WAF are well worth it!!

I would still be interested hear comparisons between the two PSB Image lines...if anyone out there can help I would appreciate it!

Wow, your dealer had working units too!! Was this shop at the end of a rainbow by chance?

Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Sem

Post Number: 139
Seamus,
Glad to hear everything is working great!!

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 64
Great to hear that you are happy with the unit. I have a T752 and PSB 6Ts and am very pleased. I never did get to hear the 5Ts and I wonder if I would have been just as pleased with them. I only heard the 4T and 6Ts and thought the full sound of the 6s were well worth it. What are your thoughts? did you listen to the larger models of the new image line?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
oknessaD,
Did not get a chance to audition all the larger models - Wife and Wallet combined ruled against it. Did hear the T55 (5T) though - they certainly went lower than the T45, with perhaps a larger soundstage - but not enough incentive to take on the 2 W's.

Unregistered guest
Hi,
Regarding NAD i beleive they have very good receivers - WHEN THEY WORK!

Now I believe the sound quality of their receivers is excellent, however having had 7 replacement receivers - thats right 8 NAD's overall including 3 T770s, 2 T742s and 3 T762s as well as various lower models, they don't really have much quality control. One receiver made a loud pop on install and refused to work. Another one had feedback issues. Below is a list of the issues we had.

- Intermittent cutting in and out of sound while amp warms up x 2
- FM radio coming through rear channels
- The blown one mentioned earlier
- OSD refused to display after 1 month (note that the OSD was the main setup device for the receiver)
- Various other issues which I've forgotten inculding fm hissing and popping on change of volume but these didn't warrant replacement.

Also, these installs were done by a professional installer of 25 years experience. So there was no question about the problems being with the receivers.

After receiver number 8 we were offered the Denon 2803 which has been excellent outperforming the T742 and matching the older T770 however not quite as good as the T762 (however the build quality was better). However the Nad T550 dvd player is still part of our setup after 4 years. Having had the Denon 2803 for a year it is now being relegated downastairs to update our 15 year old system with the NAD dvd player to make way for the Denon 2900 DVD player and the Denon 3805 receiver.

I'm now wondering after being told by the retailer "we've never had that problem before 8 times" whether someone else has managed to outperform this figure.

However, we are very happy with the Denon and will probably never touch NAD again - especially now that we know we werent the only ones.

Adam :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 100
Oh I knew it wouldn't take long for a positive NAD thread to turn negative.

5 months on my T773 and it has performed flawlessly and sooo glad I didn't let the negative threads here dictate my purchase decision (which they almost did).

Bronze Member
Username: Maroonmike

Dixie, USA

Post Number: 22
My T742 has run like a champ with zero issues since last August. I also got a C542 CD player a couple of weeks ago. I love my NAD stuff and would buy them again.

Unregistered guest
Adam P,
As champagne pops in celebration of properly functioning NAD units, an octet of faulty receivers are unfortunately reported by you.

This borders on, no, is blatantly representative of quality negligence. Numerous consumers share your experience and frustrating aggravation.

Enjoy your Denon, you're especially entitled, and, duck the flying corks.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1554
Seamus,

'Does this make a statistical difference on the "NAD : To be or not to be" thread ?'

No. But it is still good to read. Congratulations!

You found a dealer OK......?

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 64
Interesting post over here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202714

Bronze Member
Username: Yshuaw

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 13
OknessaD -

I auditioned both the 5T and the 6T with my NAD 762, and while I was blown away by the 5T, the 6T had enough extra bass extension to warrant the slight upcharge. Assuming the difference in cost was not a big factor (going from the 4T to the 6T implies that the markup was worth it) I think you probably would have still gone with the 6T.

Bronze Member
Username: Hab

Post Number: 33
I have some bad new for you Seamus. It's when the sub is connected that the NAD turns nasty & gives that humm/hiss. I have gone through seven 753's and all were fine until i connected the sub. The same happened at the dealers shop on all seven. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. As much as I loved the sound I had to give up on NAD after seven units with the same problem. The dealer stopped carrying NAD, apologized & returned my money.

Silver Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 101
For the record, I personally tested a T763 at home which drove my decision to purchase my T773 which I now own. NEITHER of these units experienced any hiss, humm or other defect issues.

I also demoed both a T753 and T763 at my dealer before my home tests. Ditto on their exceptional performance with NO issues.

My dealer swears by NAD and claims he has had no issues whatsoever with them. Maybe my dealer and I are just really damn lucky. Counting my NAD blessings...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us