Clarification needed about speaker - amp impedence and connections

Username: Resonance

Post Number: 1
I'm just a kid and I've searched google about speaker, amp impedence and after getting a big headache I'm still confused with how it all applies in my situation.

If it helps, we have a Kenwood KRF-V5050D amp, a pair of rather old Pioneer CS-V210s for the front and another pair of smaller Pioneers for the rear.

The fronts are rated 6 ohms each, rears are 8 ohms each. The amp says (8-16) ohms for front and rear. I connect them according to the manual(+ to +, - to -). That's parallel right? Will this make the total rating for the fronts only 3 ohms, and for the rears 4 ohms? This is way out of the (8-16) ohm amp rating right? And does the (8-16) rating give the mininum and maximum rating for just the fronts, or is it the total rating for everything connected to the amp? (for example does it mean the total impedence of the fronts and rears must not exceed 8-16 or does it apply separately) I hope I'm making sense but I'm really confused. I get further confused when I read about how people ask whether a 6 ohm speaking works with an 8 ohm amp without mentioning how they connect the speakers.

By the way, this setup does work fine at rather average volumes with DVDs like saving private ryan, its just that I wonder if the amp will overheat or something in the longrun because I'm doing it all wrong. Please help me thanks.

Unregistered guest
Jason, most Japanese amps run the rear speakers in series. This because of the limited power supply and limited current capability. You probably have no worries, just make sure the best speaker is connected to the "A" terminal.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 485
jason i'm not sure exacly what you mean with all
of the questions you have.

but i will try and help!

you connect 1 speaker to each 1 set of + and - terminals.

from the little bit of info i have been able to find
on this unit it looks like a 5 channel surround
reciever.

so you should have left front speaker right front
speaker left rear speaker and right rear speaker.

so you connect 4 speakers 1 to each set of outputs
each output should have a + and - to connect a speaker to.

then that would leave you 1 set left for the center speaker.

if you are going to use a center speaker try to get
an actual center speaker because the magnets on it
will be shielded so it won't hurt your tv because
most people put their center channel speaker on
top of the tv.you don't need a center but it is nice.

and you will probably be fine with the impedence.

that impedence rating is per speaker and not all
speakers combined.unless you put all speakers on
the same output "say left front" then you would
drop the impedence to low and fry the amp.

Post Number: 2
Opps, I'm sorry I was rambling too much there. Hm thanks alot for taking the trouble to help, I understand much better now. Erm I didn't really have problems connecting the wires, just got pretty confused with the all parallel and series stuff I read about and how it would change the impedance and all. And of course you answered my question about how the amp impedance rating applies.

No center speaker for the time being though.

Thanks again!

Post Number: 3
Oh and I forgot to say your instructions really helped allay my fears.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us