Please help me pick between these floorstanding speakers...JAMO 607?

Username: Tedhontz

Fort Wayne, Indiana United States

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I read a thread on here from 2008 between a Robert and a Michael. I was rolling on the ground laughing. I have the same question that Robert asked, but I have intelligence. I will say though that Im not up to date on my speaker knowledge. Okay, like him in interested in a pair of Jamo C607 speakers but I'm also interested in other models as well.

MY SYSTEM: Parasound HCA-1500 THX External 2 channel amp.
Yamaha RX-V2700 Networking A/V Receiver
My living room is 17x14 but the room opens into my dining room and kitchen which makes for a bad layout (i know).
I listen to 80% music and 20% movies.
My music tastes aren't mellow like weird 100 year old songs nobody has heard. I like rock and roll, country, "some" rap, some slow stuff. I'm basically a "Top 40" song listener and I DJ weddings on weekends as well just to give you an idea.

I had a pair of BG Radia 520 expensive 6 foot tall ribbon speakers and they sounded good in my old home but not here. I simply don't have the back wall space for them to radiate. I then, and I'm embarrassed to say this, but bought into the bug of getting a pair of Bose 901s and I tied the Bose EQ in between the receiver and the amp.

Now for the story....I have a 12 year old pair of Advent Jade $400 speakers that are in a secondary game room. I haven't paid much attention to them in about 8 years but a few weeks ago I was listening to them while playing "Guitar Hero" with my son and wow the things rocked! I figured it was because the room was closed off. Then I went and listened to my Bose 901s and was so disappointed. So I got out my BG Radia 520 ribbons and calibrated them and disconnected the Bose eq. I still was disappointed. Finally I thought, well lets bring the cheap Advents into the living room and hook them into the Parasound amp and have them sound like crap.....BUT, they sounded awesome so its not the amp and not the room! It has to be that they are front firing in your face speakers unlike the dipole ribbons or the reflecting Bose. So I want to buy a new set of speakers. I also don't mind running the speakers off of the receiver and selling my external amp. The new Yamaha is well rated, just wasn't enough for those big speakers in the past. But if I need to keep the amp I will. My budget is $1500 for a pair. But I've also heard less expensive speakers that outperform the expensive ones. IE: anything sounds better than the bose 901s! Also, i don't need to have speakers with bass. I have a 15" down firing powered rear vented sub. I want a set of speakers with good midrange and good highs for a variety of different kinds of music. Something that looks nice as well.

Here are some of them that I'm interested in. If people could tell me what ones are better vs others, then I could limit my list.

Interested in:

Mirage OS3 fs $425 each x2
Monitor Audio RS8 $1149/pr
Jamo C607 $375 each x2
Infinity Primus P362's $189 each x 2
Polk Audio RTi12s $799 pair (refurb from polk)
Magnepan MMG $599/pr (but im worried about my layout with these)
BG Radia Z92 $1349/pr
Fluance SV10 $299/pr
Fluance ES1 $399/pr

Of course some of these are more expensive than others. I don't know if I need these more expensive ones or not. I don't want to spend over $1000 just to have a normal "big box brand" like Polk/Klipsch. I just want the best midrange and high sound for my money. Hopefully you all can help me as I'd like to order something this week. Thanks in advance! And I promise not to post jackass pics!

Ted

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 956
Greetings Ted,

You have given some good clues to those better able to specify brands and models than I but I wanted to find out if there are any decent audio stores near you that you could go and listen to some of these speakers you are interested in. The right store would let you bring in those Advents for comaparison which gives you a great baseline sound to judge the new speakers by.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11805
The MA's, Maggies and Jamo's stand out as the better speakers on your list. I think your application for them rules out the Maggies and so your real choice is between the MA's and Jamo's (at least relative to the speakers that you listed). We have folks here with considerable experience with both who will likely follow up here.

Post Number: 2
The dealer nearby pushes Definitive Technology and Paradigm. I know they are decent okay speakers but they are not worth the money in my opinion. I think you pay for the name with those. The problem i'm running into is that people say Fluance speakers are good. But for $300 a pair, what are they comparing them too which lets them say they are good? Good compared to KLH won't cut it for me. I also forgot to mention one of the speakers i'm most interested in. So add to my list that I'm interested in a pair of KEF IQ9 speakers. $900 a pair or $700 for a dented pair.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11806
Paradigm Studio series are a good speaker. Better than any on your list IMO. Out of your price range though I do believe. We also have someone who owns KEF from that series. Fluance are a budget speaker which aren't in the same league as the better ones on your list.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2914
hmmmm dunno bout better than the MA silver line, but the Studio Paradigm line are right up there give or take on peoples taste and are well worth the money. Paradigm has had some tremendous award winning models for bringing great performing speakers for low prices. I wouldn't say that people are paying for the name.

Relative to your list, I agree with Art. The ones that stand out for me are the Maggies, Jamos and MA's. My friend had the Polk RTi12's and we compared them at his place to the Paradigm monitor 11 V4's and the Paradigms smashed them. I can't stand the sound of Polk speakers, just my opinion. FWIW I prefered the MA 6's over the 8's. the 6's are blowing out for around 1000 right now which is an amazing price. That is what I purchased mine for.

A good fellow named David Mitchell owns both the Paradigm Studio line and MA silver 6's and could probably comment more on the sonic differences of the two unless you completely counting Paradigm out.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11811
The v5 Studio's would be considerably better than the v4's IMO.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2915
OH I completely agree Art. They surely are. To me, when I listened the new Studio 60's in the summer it was a weird experience. The speakers to touch, and to handle, felt cheaper than the V4's. But, sounded better. Weird? Comparing them heads up to the Silver line for music was a hard pressed decision. The MA's are faster, more detail but the Paradigms are smooth and draw you in. I prefer the Paradigms for Theater any day. For music, it was close. Could of gone either way. The new RX line out might top them a bit musically...again, maybe not. I still would prefer the Paradigms for certain applications though. One of my favorite speakers I have heard to this day is the Signature 8's.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14334

Since you have the subwoofer, you don't require a speaker that has the last octave of bass response. I'd opt for a standmount which will be less visually intrusive into the decor and more flexible in placement putting your money into the drivers and the design rather than the box.

At $1k you simply cannot do better than the PSB. You can do different but I doubt you can do better given your priorities. You can certainly find a speaker that is more difficult to drive due to what has become the accepted way to build loudspeakers with impedance dips down to and below 3 Ohms. PSB maintains a very easy to drive impedance and electrical phase angle. Even inexpensive receivers will sound their best with a PSB on their outputs, however, the PSB is of sufficient quality to appreciate a higher quality amplifier.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/reviews/Stereophile-Imagine-B-Review

http://www.psbspeakers.com/

PSB also makes less expensive speakers that will complete the AV surround system which matched timbres all the way around should that be important to you.

Keep the power amplifier.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11812
PSB makes a very smooth sounding speaker that would probably go well with the Yamaha receiver. Keep the Parasound...agreed.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 758
I'd love to hear an all Magnepan HT setup.....
Maybe next time.

Gold Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1055
"IE: anything sounds better than the bose 901s!"

I would not expect anyone to challenge this statement on a Bose bashing forum like this. Don't get me wrong, Bose needs to be taken to task on many (most) of their products. I personally believe all the problems people are experiencing with CD/DVD jamming in the Lifestyle systems is disgraceful. I also think their products are overpriced. So, I am not a Bose flag waver by any means. But, I can't let statements like the above pass without comment, especially since I have owned those speakers.

Anything sounds better? If so, they are likely not positioned correctly for the room or setup correctly. If you bought new, you probably paid about $1,400 for them. Worth experimenting a bit before buying new ones? Maybe.

Where are they positioned, what is the separation from the wall and between speakers? How are they supported? Are they suspended or on stands? You seem pretty convinced the sound is not due to the room, but that seems based solely on the improvement in sound achieved with "cheap Advent speakers". I guarantee you can go into anyone's house and replace their optimally placed speakers with a completely different brand and have to move things. Bose 901s, as with most speakers, are very finicky with placement. Small increments make large differences in SQ.

Are there speakers for $1500 that sound better? Yes, many. Are there speakers for $400 that sound better? Doubtful if they are used correctly. But, my musical tastes are pretty far afield from yours. I would have no clue how to select speakers for rap and DJ music. However, you're in luck, as many here responding appear to be very knowledgeable in that regard.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11814
Leo, I have heard an all Maggie HT, in fact several and they are very, very convincing. I think I like their speakers more for HT than for music, that's just me.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11815
"I like rock and roll, country, "some" rap, some slow stuff."

It appears that the OP is looking for speakers for more than rap and DJ music...maybe I read it wrong.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 759
If I only had the money, time, inclination and a wife who wouldn't divorce me. That and a 350sq. ft. room addition.

I can see it all now. 3.6s in front. 1.7s as surrounds. A pair of some major sub. All Bryston amps. OPPO SE universal player. A Sony Pearl projector. Either the Bryston or Rega Saturn.

AND one of these::
http://www.standardconcessionsupply.com/catalog/item/796114/947588.htm

I think the THX protocol calls for bi/di pole surrounds.

There, I feel better now.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2787
For music, the 15 inch sub may be a bit of a worry. We don't know what sub it is and many subs with that size cone can deliver substantial, but slow and sloppy bass.

Post Number: 3
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments so far. I wanted to leave some more information. My Yamaha receiver is the RX-V2700 MSRP $2500.00 so wouldn't this run the speakers I've listed without the Parasound External Amp? The specs for the Yamaha list 140W RMS into 8 ohms. Then it says 265W dynamic power for 4 ohms and 345W for 2 ohms. I used it to run my old pair of BG Radia Z7 speakers which were 4 ohm and it did a fine job, but then I bumped up to the terribly power hungry BG Radia 520 ribbon speakers with 6 foot ribbons on them. So then I got the Parasound Amp. It is 205W at 8 ohms and 315W at 4 ohm. If I need to keep it I will. I'm also willing to go audition some Paradigm speakers because it's been about 10 years since I've auditioned a pair. Polks are the ones that I really don't like. I think they sound soft and flat. For $1599 or less, what models should I audition? Keep in mind I don't need them for bass. To better explain that I have a Fosgate Audionics subwoofer cabinet but with a better, actually the best Titanic MKIII subwoofer and a 1000W Dayton Plate amp on the unit now since both the original amp and sub had issues. I just need some good "in your face" midrange and high range sound. I'm attaching a pic of my living room wall to show the situation. Also, I have a totally separate DJ system for my DJ business so I don't know where that comment came from. That system has big bass and powerful speakers and a rugged and powerful system, lights and all. But its not something that you'd listen to inside of a home. Finally to the one "Bose" fan that commented. I can't even believe that Bose still makes these speakers. They won't even work on a new stereo receiver because their is no way to hook up the needed EQ because no more analog tape monitor switches. That was a dumb idea from a dumb speaker company. My brother had a pair that he was dumb enough to pay $1499 for. He then got a new receiver and what do ya know? Can't use them without buying a separate external amp and looping the Bose EQ in between. He said he'd trade me even up for my Advent Jade speakers and I said no way. To the bose fan, read the audioreview website reviews for the advent jades. 5 out of 5 and 3 people switched from Bose 901 speakers. The Bose 901s are the lowest rated speaker I've seen so far on that site. Yes the 901s are loud but thats it. I've moved them all around. They sound the same for me as they did at my brother's house. Loud at times but they sound extremely "compressed and congested" and have no spacial clarity at all. And yes I've heard many $99 speakers that, while not loud, sound better than the 901s. I paid my brother $200 for the 901's and they are only 3 years old. I don't feel they are even worth that. I am going tomorrow to a local store and they told me to bring my Advent Jades with me. They said my series of Advents were a last big bang as Advent went out and were worth far more than their price suggested. I've narrowed my search down already to the following..... Jamo C607 - Kef iQ70, Kef iQ90, Monitor Audio RS or RX series 6 or 8. Or maybe I'll find something locally in the Paradigm line. Well here is a pic of my wall placement. The speaker on the left is basically almost against the wall which you can't see. Also, my music preferences consist of stuff like Tom Petty, Bruce Springstein, Pearl Jam, Metallica on occasion, country music, oldies, and OCCASIONALLY some of the newer stuff thats worth listening to. So please recommend me something for this. Also, I'm not opposed to getting bookshelf type speakers with stands if they will handle the power and i can get more for my money. Suggestions? Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2917
Leo- Your dream theater makes me water at the mouth. Maggies + Bryston Amps + Sony Pearl projector= Love. The Sony Pearl is awesome. I wish I had the money to spend when I bought my Sony Projector. Dont forget the screen Leo! Stewart Greyhawk 106 inch light absorbing screen. Add another 3 grand. :-)

Tedhonz - The sky is the limit in the 1600 dollar price range for good sounding speakers. In the south you can hit up the Paradigm Studio 60's V5's new for that. Nice setup, get rid of those old equalizers and get that beautiful Parasound in there with some breathing space. Lovely room btw.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14339

If you want "in your face" mids, then none of the speakers you've mentioned qualify. Certainly the Magnepans and Mirage are out of that league.

Buy some Klispch. A few JBL's might still qualify but not so much as a decade ago.

The Parasound amp is higher quality thaen the Yamaha. If you buy the Klipsch, it probably won't matter.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3499
That's quite the tower of power you've got there Ted. Aren't you worried about that falling over?

Post Number: 4
Haha, yeah the tower is a little overloaded, lol. The Equalizers are not active of course, they are just hooked up to bounce around when the music is on. I love the light show at night. The other thing on top that looks like an amp is actually a HTPC that I built myself. It's in a black aluminum brushed case that looks like an amp. It has internet and blu-ray and HDMI and uses a wireless kbd/mouse combo and has about 13,000 ripped songs on it at the 320k cd quality rate. Thanks for the comment on my room. Long story short I caught my wife (now ex) cheating on me and when she walked out she signed over both of my kids to me as well. I have a 10 year old boy and 2 year old girl. I live in Indiana where you can get a lot of house for the money. My house was a $180,000 home that was a hud repo so it was supposed to be listed for $120,000. BUT, they forgot to put the 1 at the beginning of the price so yes I got this house for $20,000 and i paid cash for it. I painted it myself and put in new carpet and couldn't be happier. My stereo is my wife now, well besides the girl im dating. Also, I have an appointment to listen to some Monitor Audio speakers today and then some Paradigm speakers. Then Im supposed to go to another place and listen to a pair of B&W DM683 and Cm5's. Anyone know what to think of the KEF iQ series yet? And also, Klipsch was mentioned and they are headquartered in my state so I may be interested, but which ones? Ebay has a lot of older models still new in the box for good deals. Also, the Parasound amp is on top of the stack so it can breath much better on top than being in that enclosed glass cabinet. The Yamaha doesn't use the amp and it doesn't get too hot so it vented out the sides the little warmth it has.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3500
Nice score on the house Ted.

Let us know what you think of the MA speakers. Nick and I both have the RS6's. They're a heck of a lot of speaker for the money, and can be had for really cheap now that the RX line is out. I also have a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's as well. They're great little speakers but I like the MA's better.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1388
I am the one that owns the kef speakers. They are not what I would classify as being " in your face". Rather, I find them to be smooth and revealing both of the recording and of the upstream components. The midrange has an immediacy that is totally addicting if you listen to jazz or instrumental music, but they can rock as well. The speakers se not particularly demanding to drive, but I noticed a decided difference when I switched to better quality amplification.

I can't comment on the bass extension though (I have standmounts)

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14344

"For $1599 or less, what models should I audition?

"And also, Klipsch was mentioned and they are headquartered in my state so I may be interested, but which ones? Ebay has a lot of older models still new in the box for good deals."

The ones that sell for $1599. If you're willing to buy something off eBay without hearing it, then you can consider all Klipsch to have "in your face" midrange.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3501
The problem with auditioning Klipsch speakers is that they have so much zing (for lack of a better word) in the shop, to the untrained ear, they sound "better" than the other speakers (partly because they are louder). When you get them home and listen to them for awhile you end up saying "damn, these things are hurting my ears".

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1389
Most Klipsch speakers are ready for a singles convention...

They are h0rny.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3502
bah-dum-dum!

He's here all week folks.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14364
Try the dinner!

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1059
"Finally to the one "Bose" fan that commented..."

Since I assume this is directed at me, I would advise similar to Jan to steer clear of Ebay. Requires reading and a healthy dose of caveat emptor.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 761
Nick,
After 40 or 50 large for speakers/electronics/projector, what's another 3 for a screen? Peanuts!

And those industrial strength popcorn machines aren't that much $$.

Plenty of $$ left over for 'exit' lights, black felted door curtain and some classic, original posters.

I just TIVO'd 'Bride of Frankenstein' and it was an amazing print. Better, I'm sure than the original issue.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14346

I've never purchased anything offf eBay. The whole d@mn thing makes no f'ing sense to me. All it amounts to IMO is people buying sh!t they can't see, hear or touch, getting it home to find out it's sh!t then turning around and selling the same sh!t to someone else with all three parties hoping to get rich on the deal. It's all one big Ponzi scheme as far as I can tell. Everybody knows it, they just want to be the one who isn't the Ponze.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1390
Buyer beware is the best advice with ebay. I have sold some stuff on it, but nothing of importance.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2793
I've had over 50 dealings on Ebay Australia and two on Ebay US, both buying and selling. Each one has been 100% for product, payment and friendly dealing. It just pays to be careful.

Post Number: 5
I've bought off of Ebay for years now but you have to do your homework. I sold my BG Radia 520 speakers on there for $1499 and made someone a happy guy. They worked great, just not in my new environment. I bought my Yamaha receiver on Ebay and it was sealed with the original staples and not a finger print on it and I saved a ton. I always make sure that the seller has a high feedback rating. And also, any electronic item that is sold on Ebay with Paypal, like my BG Speakers for example. Paypal puts a 21 day hold on all electronic items now, that way if the buyer gets screwed he can dispute the claim. Sucks for the seller, me this time, as my money is held up in a Paypal account and my speakers are gone. I have other money to spend in the meantime though for speakers. I've been told that my speaker selections are not "in your face" but maybe I don't need that. Are the Klipsch speakers clear with good sound quality or are they just a loud speaker? My cheap Advents have extremely high hi's without sounding like they are going to blow. My Bose 901's can never hit that high sound and they sound like they are about to burst. My other thought is that I do have a dbx processor/expander in my closet. This will tie into my external amp and will work to enhance the treble and midrange and tighten things up. So it could make some of these speakers more "in my face". I want clarity as well but I want to be able to hear the words they are saying, which is a hard thing to do with the crappy 901s.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3507
Ebay used to good years ago but I've found in the last few years it's not such a deal anymore. A lot of sellers are trying to recoup their low selling prices by charging ridiculous shipping fees. A three dollar CD with a shipping charge of 18 bucks? Gimme a break. On top of that, the whole feedback thing on ebay is totally broken. I had a 100% rating for years until one day a buyer decided I took too long to ship something (like I have control over Canada Post) and left me negative feedback without even contacting me first. I've since closed my ebay account and deal only on CAM and Agon.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14350

"I want clarity as well but I want to be able to hear the words they are saying ... "

Then you need room treatments more than you need speakers. Looking at your picture of a room full of hard, reflective surafces with nothing really to tame the sound and the EQ with the good ol' "smiley face" curve, it's no wonder you can't hear the words. But, if you got the DBX, hey! slap it in there. What's one more circuit?

I see one speaker toed in and the other facing straight out. How do you go about speaker placement? Just where it fits?

Post Number: 6
Jan, as mentioned in a past post, the EQ's are NOT actively hooked up. I only use them as a "decoration" more as a light show. I use the mic calibration system. Also, if it was my room that was the problem, then my cheap Advent speakers would sound awful in that room as well and they don't. What you can't see in that picture is a couch that blocked the bottom of the ribbon speakers and therefore I couldn't hear anything from the right speaker as far as low mid sound. But with front speakers that do not need the wall to use, they will sound much better no matter what speaker I choose. I spent over 5 hours playing with the positioning of the ribbon speakers to achieve optimal sound while hitting that narrow sweet spot that they had. So no I'm not an idiot on speaker placement and no I don't use EQ's and yes I did go audition Klipsch speakers today. I auditioned the Reference RF-63, RF-82, and RF-83. They all sounded horrible. What the sales guy said, "what idiot recommended klipsch speakers to you?" I just said someone on ecoustics.com. The MA speakers sounded much better but they wouldn't sell them to me! They just got them in from the dealer but they haven't got the pricing or stock yet. The thing I noticed about them, was that the MA speakers sounded unbalanced. At softer volumes too much treble and no bass. At louder volumes too much bass and not enough treble. I've read many other people that have said the same thing and I've noticed a lot of them for sale on audiogon and ebay.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3516
What were they using to drive the Monitor Audio speakers with?

I've not heard the RS line described as "unbalanced".

I've noticed a lot of Bryston and McIntosh amplifiers for sale on ebay and Agon. I guess people are trying unload them cause they're crap?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2926
Unbalanced? W T F... i s th a t all a b o u t?

Were they feeding them with some dirty MP3's?lol They must have been the RX line too. So not an unbalanced speaker.

Not too many Sony receivers on ebay at the moment David, must be good stuff, might grab one up....lol.

Post Number: 7
Wow, I came here for some advice on choosing a speaker ONLY because I haven't heard some of these. Then I get smarta*s comments about trying out Klipsch speaker and when I kindly ask what ones I'm told the $1599 ones. None of them are $1599. That was my budget I was trying to get. But then I get harassed about using an equalizer when that intelligent person didn't first read that I DON'T use the equalizer. They stopped putting tape monitors on receivers years ago. Now to address the latest stupid remarks. The local dealer was using a Sunfire THA-7401 external amp and we were using original cd's NOT mp3 files. My "unbalanced" comment is dead on. But since I'm such an idiot, you may want to read this article from Chris Martens: The Absolute Sound featured here..... http://www.avguide.com/review/monitor-audio-silver-rs-8-loudspeakers

For those that don't want to read it I'll just highlight a portion of the review. He said.....

Having praised the RS8s for achieving a certain measure of transparency, though, I offer the criticism that they fall just short of an even more desirable and profound kind of clarity. One reason is that the speaker's resolution levels aren't uniform across all frequencies; instead, clarity and definition seem to increase with frequency, meaning the woofers sound moderately clear, the mid/bass driver more so, and the gold dome tweeter clearest of all (though some find the tweeter more bright than clear). On some almost subliminal level, your ear knows this isn't quite faithful to the sound of live music. It's not that you hear large topto- bottom discontinuities that throw you off in any abrupt way, but rather that the speaker's many virtues never quite manage to gel to produce hopedfor moments of musical lucidity.

Another reason the RS8s can sound unclear is that, at low to moderate levels, their bass is quite forward and slightly under-damped. While it is not overpowering, it is prominent enough that it sometimes obscures soft, delicate midrange details. Oddly, as the volume is raised the RS8s become better balanced, eventually achieving pleasing neutrality. If you don't feel like turning up the volume, you can try trimming the RS8's lowbass output by repositioning the speakers, by installing bass damping materials in your listening room, or by installing the foam port "bungs" Monitor provides as bass-tuning tools

Now that I don't feel like an idiot anymore.......maybe I'll offer some advice. Everyone here that enjoys audio should get their ears tested once a year. I tested 20% higher than the average person just two weeks ago so I know it's not my ears. And the reviews say the same thing. And by the way the MA speakers I auditioned that just arrived were the RS8 speakers and not the new RX8 speakers. Why? I'll explain. I earlier posted that it seemed unusual that so many of these uncommon and basically new speakers are being sold on Agon and Ebay. Well I know why. The tweeters are like I said, unbalanced. They supposedly fixed this issue which is why the RX8's have a completely different tweeter. Now for the good news, I never said I minded the unbalanced sound. It made the tweeters bright which the rep said, Wow thats terribly high and I leaned him to think I wasn't interested. Well today he called and said that the MA rep said they are still stockpiled with the old RS8's and if I wanted them I could have a brand new pair sealed in box in my color choice for $515 a PAIR! Then my rep also told me he dug into the KEF IQ9's that I wanted and found a distributor that still had one set left in black for $699 for the PAIR! So I thought of it as buy one pair get one free based on getting two sets for $1214 + tax. I'll judge which ones I like the most and then I'll sell the other set which will be basically new to someone on "evil ebay" for quite a savings. And also, you go buy all the sony receivers you want because anyone with a brain knows how much they suck. But when 11 sets of RS8's are on just 2 sites, that sends off alarms. And the alarm is that the tweeter is unbalanced on that model. But I got a good deal because of it. So, this proves im not an idiot. To the ones that did offer advice, thank you. And for the others....enjoy your Klipsch and Bose speakers......... Maybe you should pair them up with a nice Sony receiver as well. Not much help here but I figured it out on my own.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2797
Wow Ted, now that you've insulted some regular posters here we'll see how you get on from here. People here have tried to assist you and maybe have thrown a joke or have been a little perplexed at some of your statements. You tell us you are intelligent and have super hearing - well maybe that puts you in the smarta$$ category, 'cause non of us skite about ourselves here. Maybe you should apologise.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3517
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion Ted, I totally get that. But when you claim a certain product is unbalanced, you have to expect people who actually own said product to refute your claims.

As for the reason you see a lot of the RS line on ebay and Agon is probably more attributable to the fact that the RX has replaced the RS and I suspect that a lot of people are upgrading, or dealers are trying unload their RS as NOS.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2929
lol I dont have Klipsch and Bose speakers, i have MA and Paradigm. I dont own the RS8's either, as I have said many times I felt the RS6's were much more balanced. But since we are going by reviews here..

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/index.html

I said the RS6's were a better speaker than the 8's but you decided to audition and purchase the 8's anyway. Meh, to each their own, everyone has a different opinion and like David said, your allowed to have one. The RS8's sold full price for YEARS, and just recently started getting practically given away for one reason only, the RX line is out. Not because everyone thought they have unbalanced tweeters.lol. My dealer too, is giving them away almost. After years of selling them full priced and being his top selling speaker.

Either way, it was a good outcome. You got two good speakers for a fraction of their original retail price, for new. I am glad. Let them both break in, as I can speak for the MA's that they are a different ball game after about 80 hours of usage. Cheers.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14353

Ted, I too go by what I see when I can only visualize the system in question.

I see an EQ with a big smiley face. Yes, I saw your comments about only using the EQ for the "entertainment value" of the light show but, the smiley face is what? your way of entertaining yourself with knob position? Maybe so, but it tends to say one thing to me that is then coroborated by your pictures and your posts of how many extra gadgets you have to add to the system to change its sound.

The "tower of power" you've assembled says yet another thing to me and a picture of two speakers placed a few inches from the back wall ("Well here is a pic of my wall placement. The speaker on the left is basically almost against the wall which you can't see"), one pointing forward and the other toed in says the rest.

Only an idiot would assume its not the room causing problems just because a particular pair of speakers sound "acceptable" to someone who can be distracted by an LED light show. The room is the sound you hear and your room appears to be not all that great for sound quality. But you make up for it by buying more sh!t. It's your room, your system and your dollars but, if you have not yet run into the audio salesperson who says, "What idiot told you to put all that crap together?", you need to shop at better stores.

The idiot that recommended the Klipsch was the one that read your statement, "I just need some good 'in your face' midrange and high range sound." I never said the Klipsch sound good, I said they suited your stated desires which, at that point, where not in line with the speakers you were naming. So out of line in fact you were removing one pair of dipoles and considering yet another pair, the MMG's, as a replacement. If someone likes the Klipsch sound, "in your face" mids and highs are generally part of why they like Klipsch. I see you are rude enough to further insult the "idiot" that recommended the "horrible sounding" Klipsch by assuming I own them. You are a piece of work, Teddy-boy.

When I suggested you keep the Parasound amplifier because it is higher quality than the Yamaha receiver you argue the suggestion saying the numbers indicate the Yamaha is just as good and it should do a "fine job" with whatever speakers you buy.

" The specs for the Yamaha list 140W RMS into 8 ohms. Then it says 265W dynamic power for 4 ohms and 345W for 2 ohms. I used it to run my old pair of BG Radia Z7 speakers which were 4 ohm and it did a fine job, but then I bumped up to the terribly power hungry BG Radia 520 ribbon speakers with 6 foot ribbons on them. So then I got the Parasound Amp. It is 205W at 8 ohms and 315W at 4 ohm."

Everyone gets to put together their system in a fashion that pleases only them, no one else need be considered. But, Ted, what you've posted and shown us tells me everything I need to know about you. I've been in this hobby for decades, sold hi-end audio for decades and run across the likes of you hundreds of times. If this is the system you like, and you have such highbrow distain for certain products, consider yourself to not be "an idiot" when you reject solid recommendations and you choose to be so rude to those trying to interpret your contradictory posts into some useful advice, then I suspect we part ways here and you won't bother us again. If you prefer shopping for a deal without ever hearing the speaker, then you and "evil eBay" can live happily ever after. I can see no instance where you were treated in any way differently than what you displayed to us.

It would be cheap of me to say it is no wonder a pompous, bullheaded POS like you is now divorced.

I will say this, buy a decent HT pre amp, say, an Outlaw, toss out all the garbage components and actually read a speaker set up program. However, one of us is an idiot, so I don't expect you to take that advice either.

Post Number: 8

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3518
"I could help more people with their audio stuff than Jan could."

I seriously doubt that.

Post Number: 9
Well Jan, lets talk about my tower of many components. Starting from the bottom. Toshiba HD-DVD player which yes is a joke but I have many HD DVD movies. How does that affect my system? Next, a Sony HDMI 5 disc carousel simply because it plays all the formats. So does that hurt my system? Next dual stacked 2 Technics all digital spectrum analyzer equalizers and on top of that, a BSR spectrum analyzer EQ as well. These are NOT hooked up to the amp and once again no tape monitor button. They are hooked via the tape RCA jacks and i've never selected that input. Moving on. The next damaging component above the eq's is a Monster Power Reference Power Center HTS 3500MKII which has many helpful filters and protects my equipment. How does that hurt my system? On top of that I have a Panasonic HDMI digital HD DVR recorder. How does that hurt my system? On top of that I have another for decoration only Audio Source eq for the lights only. On top of that I have my ugly but required Verizon FIOS HD converter box. I have to have it to watch HD cable channels. On top of my tower sits my Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver which is kind of needed. Then sits my Silverstone HTPC which hooks into my HDTV and is also HDMI and plays blu-ray. What damage is that doing? And finally on top, with all the open breathing room sits my Parasound amp. What damage is that doing? Also, I hardly EVER use the DVR, the HD DVD player and I keep these components in this cabinet so all the ugly wires aren't showing since the backing of my cabinet has been removed. So regarding all my components that are damaging my system and making me an idiot, you just put your foot in your mouth on that one.

Next, you haven't seen the rest of my room setup including the windows and massive drapes, the big couch and big chair and you haven't seen the powered sub or rear surrounds. My couch blocks the sound of the right speaker if placed to close to the corner. My left speaker has NO WHERE ELSE to go! As far as the angles, the speaker dealer came over because I was trying to achieve the sweet spot on positioning these and was so frustrated. We finally positioned the speakers to direct the sweet spot to my chair and put them in the only possible spot to achieve this. With only a 14 foot wide wall with a fireplace in the middle and my audio tower next to it, it limited the options on placement. My tower must sit next to the fireplace due to the lengths of my expensive wires and me not wanting them all to show. I said in the beginning I was interested in the Maggies but I also said in that same post that I knew they wouldn't sound good due to my wall configuration. I asked for advice and I carefully went back and reread the thread. It was definitely you that started in with the smartass attitude. You mentioned Klipsch which I was open to at least auditioning but then refused to give me a model. You said, any of them on ebay, the $1599 ones. What great help that was. The ebay and sony comments and stupid shi*t like tha t just made other people more idiotic. I'm not stupid. And the RS6 I agree are better sounding speakers but they aren't giving them away. Why? Because the don't have the issue with the unbalanced sound and THAT is why they sound better and sell better and people are happy with them. I wasn't given the option to buy the RS6's at a great price. And the reason the RX series was designed was only to correct the tweeter issue because otherwise it's the exact same speaker!! So the only reason people would want to trade up would be to have a more balanced sounding speaker. This is why so many RS8 speakers, not RS6 speakers are on the market. There is no need to get rid of the RS6 line.

Your comment about my ex-wife was going overboard. She cheated on me with a co-worker and abandoned her kids. I won big time and she ended up $75,000 in debt. She turned to drugs and got so messed up that she's serving time right now, long story short, and will never be allowed to see the kids again. She probably met some piece of sh*t idiot like you jan and I enjoyed watching her life go down the drain. I on the other hand don't have debt on anything. My audio products are paid for. My car collection 8 are all paid for. My house is paid for, and I live within my means. I could easily afford to purchase that dream system as spoken about above in cash, but I don't see the point of spending more than $1500-$2000 on a pair of speakers. I have a basement that had a home theater room installed with acoustical foam filled walls and its all enclosed. My next project after these measly speakers for my living room, will be to build a REAL home theater system in my theater room with real speakers and amps. But my living room system isn't that awesome of a system and so I'm happy with my decorative EQs.

Well I didn't get any real advice here. I did get some suggestions. But to the users who took me for a sucker on the sony receiver comment and to jan especially, who i did nothing to cause the smartass beginning dialect.........you can all bite my crank! Im sorry Jan for thinking you had Klipsch speakers. Those probably aren't even allowed in your trailer park. You most likely have some KLH speakers. I apologize for that as well...... I'm done with this website because I only came here for some advice and I have a life. But jan you enjoy those KLH speakers and try not to get evicted. See I buy up bank repos and it'd be a shame to take over yours. Oh, wait a minute, I only buy houses not trailers.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14355

Why are you trying to justify your system and your life to me?

I don't care.

It's not that I "refused" to tell you which model of Klipsch to buy. Why should I pick a model of speaker for you to buy off eBay?

I don't care.

On eBay all speakers are the same.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 463
ebay's great for vinyl though. Bought tons of relatively rare albums over the years. Bought lots of other things too. I never had a seller flake out on sending me anything either. Most things are as described, especially if you are careful in terms of who you are buying from, reading item descriptions, and looking carefully at pictures.

I wouldn't typically consider electronics though. Although I did buy a Yamaha laserdisc player a few years ago off of ebay. Where else can you find a decent selection of laserdisc players? Not to mention laserdiscs!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3519
Ebay is good for relatively obscure items.

I have both good luck and bad luck buying electronics from ebay. I think CAM and Agon are much safer for buying gear since it's a much smaller community, and by and large the sellers are either dealers or audiophiles themselves.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14368
"How does it hurt my system?"

Well, basically by having multiple, multiple sets of power supplies of unknown insulative qualities interacting with a slew of cables of unknown insulative and noise rejecting qualities all thrown into a large pot.
Using multiple circuits, with multiple ground paths all interacting at random times and for random purposes.

That's how.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14369
I need not comment on the HDMI carousel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2930
lol

When you build that dream theater check LEO's comment back over at the System Pics. I think it went something like : Bryston Amps : Maggies all around : Sony Pearl projector : Stewart screen. MMmmmMMMmm

The RX speaker are different in quite a few ways. New tweaters, new woofers, slightly upgraded crossover and deeper/narrowed cabinet.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2798
I'm done with this website because I only came here for some advice and I have a life.

Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!
Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!
Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!
Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!

(standing ovation)

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 386
All I have to say is this.....

The Jamo C607's are not an In-Your-Face- speaker.

Thank you.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14378
than you, than you verra much!

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1066
Testing how good his ears really are:

Don't JUMP!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »