Cerwin Vega D9

Username: Heyitsanne

Santa Barbara, CA

Post Number: 1
Hi folks - My boss has a pair of D9's in the garage that he is looking to sell. I got the tech specs from CV and I've perused various forums enough to know that these are really great quality speakers that people seem to want, even with some of the foam around the woofers deteriorating. I'm no audiophile, I just need to sell them. I posted here because people seem to really know about these, and if anyone on the forums is interested in them I would rather see them go to someone who appreciates them than some college student who offers me $100 on craigslist. So what are they worth people? Any thoughts?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14333
Take the c-note and run. Robbery. Worth 20 bucks.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 746
Give 'em away and take the tax deduction.

probably worth more as parts and firewood.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14339
Sryvn re-foamed his D9's for the boys room, and worked fine. But they had history, would not be my starting point.
Unless I had a vintage Onkyo...

Santa Barbara, CA

Post Number: 2
I'm confused by what I'm hearing you all say and what I'm reading online. I found things like this: http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/cerwin-vega/floorstanding-speakers/d-9/PRD_119318 _1594crx.aspx
or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cerwin-Vega-D9-Vintage-Floor-Speakers-350W_W0QQitemZ17042603 6560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item27ae2ef150
and I thought they were worth more. Any more input? And thanks for taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 751
Anne,
They are in kind of rough shape. Both woofers need re foam.
Also, the rust on the screws holding the front panel controls has me a little leery. Stored in a garage in SB, which while the worlds most perfect climate, can also be less than perfect storing electronics out in the garage.

CV is not a 'noted' brand for hi-end sound. Even fixed electrically they won't be centerpiece speakers, are too large for dorm room beaters and old enough that other -electrical/crossover- parts are suspect.

I know you don't know anyone here from Adam, but to check out what we say, call a hi-end store for 'book' value. Given SB demographics, there MUST be a couple good, reliable hi-end shops within mere miles. Ask for 'perfect condition' worth as trade or outright. Than figure how much it would cost to make these 'perfect'.

Let us know what you find out, we may be wrong, but I have my doubts. Balancing those reviews to which you refer against our pessimism, you should do your own due dilligence and than tell us.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14321

Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay - that is most especially true when dealing in pre-loved goods.

The vintage CV's represent someone's haze filled memories of their precious youth or, at the very least, their idealized past desires - though it is rather inconceivable someone longed to own a pair of D9's in the same way they lusted after an original Saul Marantz or Frank McIntosh tube amplifier.

Vintage CV's are why young boys once had paper routes and sold magazines door to door!

"They don't build them like that any more" goes a long way toward selling vintage gear. You have in your hands a speaker to offer the likes of which can be found nowhere else on this planet. They are, to put it plainly, not to be missed and never to be seen again. Passing this deal by is throwing your very life into the dumpster.

However, ...

... there's always a "however". Everything Leo mentioned is correct. The speakers need serious repair in the most obvious way and even to the impulse buyer they suggest they will soon need further investment once they are up and running at all. Components wear our and dry out - that is the cause for the foam rot of the surrounds. Capacitors in the crossover also become suspect and all connections oxidize - none of which is good for a speaker system.

These speakers appear to be something your boss has pulled out of his garage hoping to put you in a position to get cash in hand so he can pay for some other toy or to wipe the last vestiges of a failed relationship from the memory banks.

I hope your bonus doesn't ride on this transaction.

What you have on your hands is the equivalent of a banged up, rusted out, non-running, baby blue 1984 Chevy Nova with the small six cylinder engine and a PowerGlide two speed automatic transmission and four flat bias belted, blackwall "85" series tires - all in need of serious and possibly costly (if the parts are available at all) repair due to lack of interest in proper storage by the original owner.

Now, said owner would like you to make him some money off this sale.

Nice guy!

However, ...

Anne, one of the first things I learned when I started selling audio decades ago was, you don't get anything unless you ask.

I think you have the right approach going here, Anne. What you have to present to the perceptive buyer is not a banged up, rusted out, non-running 1984 Chevy Nova with six cylinder engine and PowerGlide two speed automatic transmssion and four flat bias belted tires - all in need of serious repair due to lack of interest in proper storage by the original owner.

Not at all!

What you have to offer are two representive icons of how audio once existed! You have someone's past dreams and tightly held memories in your hands. Long nights in peculiarly fragrant smoke filled rooms spent listening to rebellious tunes which literally defined the hopes and freedom of an entire generation. Nodding and bobbing heads heavy with the aroma of coming adulthood. You hold the key to relationships spent wondering which base you would reach that night and planning which conquest would come next.

Now is the time to relive those days and nights which you possessed before life itself became so utterly and overwhelmingly complicated. All this can be achieved for a mere pence - or just a bit more.

Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Remember that, Anne, and go for it! Ask what you think these speakers represent to someone - not as physical representaions of neglect and dereliction but as what they truly are in the buyer's mind's eye. Ignore what the book value is, it is inconsequential when you are selling dreams! If anyone questions your asking price, show them your linked to evidence these specific speakers are the epitome of audio relevance almost - but not quite - forgotten. Nowhere else can those same memories be found other than by owning these very speakers. Ask the sky and settle for nothing less than the highest clouds!

Sell it, Anne!

'Cause otherwise, what you got is just two busted up pieces of junk on your hands that were worth so little when they were new they could be purchased with paper route money. And I wouldn't ignore that college student with $50 bucks in hand. Move the boxes and don't look back. It's up to the buyer to determine "abuse", the deal is done and you are not responsible for anything more than putting cash in your boss's wallet. He's obviously not interested in who gets his old speakers or he'd be doing this himself!

You're not selling your first born here, Anne, OK?

And tell your boss not to put you in this situation ever again.

How much office time did you spend researching this when you could have been doing something productive?

Santa Barbara, CA

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jan...you really put this into perspective for me. I also printed out what you wrote because you have some good nuggets of advice in there that I'd like to remember in non-speaker selling situations in the future. And no, I didn't waste a whole lot of time on this. You and the other folks who were kind enough to respond saved me quite a bit of time actually....thanks to all of you. I will take this info...minus the digs to my boss who really is a good guy...and let him decide how he wants to proceed. He may want to restore them before selling...we'll see.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14323

"Thanks Jan...you really put this into perspective for me. I also printed out what you wrote because you have some good nuggets of advice in there that I'd like to remember in non-speaker selling situations in the future."

That's fine, Anne. Perspective is what is typically required in these situations.

And "Recently restored to better than mint pristine condition" never hurts a memory. You might even throw in some name of a mysterious Oriental craftsperson who is recognized by the cognoscente ...

... actually it's best to use just the initials of this craftsperson, that will weed out the poseurs to perfection possession ...

... to represent the seldom afforded care and attention - as well as love and respect for the final product, the music - employed in returning such iconic figures of once dominant American manufacturing history to superb better than new condition now awaiting another lifetime of musical happiness in the new owner's present and future audio systems. A once in a lifetime opportunity ...

... or something to that order.

And be sure to check for any pidgeon eggs that might have been deposited during their storage in the garage.

You might try listing the speakers on Audiogon; http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl

Just remember all my creative material is protected by applicable copyright laws and regulations.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14350
Anne, you just came here for advise and maybe a sale..I understand bud.

You just happened to hit Jan ripe for a go-around, which, while watching for you, I enjoyed. I hope no offense was taken.

I hope you do well Anne, opinions on the speakers seem near the same.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 954
Trouble is that we had you a sale on another thread but Jan and Nuck fixed the "no sound from vintage Cerwin Vega at-15" guys speaker!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14353

Santa Barbara, CA

Post Number: 4
No offense taken at all! I love Jan's responses...they are informative AND fun to read. I actually got a lot of good feedback for posting about 24hrs ago. And I know that you're sticking your neck out there when you post as a noob in online forums...I was prepared to be treated a whole lot worse so I was pleasantly surprised to get some comedy thrown in with actual information.

And yes, Jim, that other thread is the main reason I posted here to begin with.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14355
Yeah, a regular CV magnet here...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14325

"Comedy"?!!!

Hmmmmph!

Anne, my dear, you cut me to the very quick! I have been deadly serious at all times!

And here we had been getting along so well ...

You must be referring to Nuck's posts.

Good luck with the sale and no matter what tell your boss you deserve a raise for putting up with audio forum BS. I hear he really is a good guy so he should do this for you.

And, if he doesn't, let us know, we'll come along and remind him of some relationships gone astray. Lord knows! we've had our share to use for practice.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3617
Somewhere, Paul is lurking. I'm sure he'd be all over them.

Whatever happened to that whack-job?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11797
I was looking at some of his posts about a month ago, Stu. Wonder where that goober is. He did love his CV's, SVS and Yammie, didn't he.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14358
I believe that he had a pair of Bose (non 901) as surrounds as well...

Charming fellow

Santa Barbara, CA

Post Number: 5
Hi Folks...I just wanted to let you know that I sold the CV's for $200. Jan's advice encouraged me to ramp up the salesmanship. Thanks to Jan and everyone who chimed in...I truly appreciate your help.

ps...now my boss has me selling some Triad InRoom Gold LCR speakers if anyone is interested.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14540

"Jan's advice encouraged me to ramp up the salesmanship."

$200?!!! I feel like I need a shower.

Well done, Anne, I'd love to read your ad copy.

I hope your boss is considering your bonus for service above and beyond.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14606
At some point, Annie, you become a 'fence'.
Or a commissioned representative.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us