Castle Speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3472
Anyone ever heard these?

http://www.planetofsoundonline.com/view.php?m=25c8f0ddc9

A dealer her in Ottawa has recently started selling them. I'm gonna try get in for a listen soon.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11763
A bit overly ripe as they say. Well built, very nice looking speakers which can't seem to put it together musically. They are another speaker in IAG's stable. Let us know what you think.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3475
Will do Art.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1372
I know when wharfedale was a standalone company, they designed their own stuff...

But now , lots of the IAG stuff looks WAY too alike for me to think this. These look almost identical to the quad towers.

I am getting the impression that they aren't as hands off as they were when they first took over. Am I correct?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3478
I believe when Castle designed their own stuff they were manufactured in the UK, now they're made in China like most other speakers.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2770
The Quad L-series has, for the last five years, been at the very peak of performance in its category. Sales around the world have merely highlighted the superiority of this range, which has served to introduce the brand to a whole new generation of audiophiles.

Behind the scenes, Quad has developed rapidly over the last three years and now is poised to move forward with an even more competitive product portfolio.

Our UK engineering team is developing cutting-edge technologies, capable of significantly enhancing the brand's reputation for innovation, whilst at the same time producing more of the traditional designs, which have long been the cornerstone of the Quad brand.

2008 will see the launch of a raft of new electronics products, and continue growth of the new 2805 and 2805 electrostatic loudspeakers - widely regarded by critics as the finest loudspeaker on the planet.

From the IAG website.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14304

Castle existed as a British brand from the '70-80's. They were a somewhat indistinguished line that built using components from KEF and Celestion to create unlicenced and not always inspiring copies of the better BBC and British designs. One or two of their less expensive speakers got decent enough reviews to become low priced recommendations but as a whole Castle never left much of a mark on the audio world.

Still, using familiar names in an attempt to sell on nostalgia has long been a common theme in audio. Where lines such as Quad and B&W have maintained high quality standards when produced offshore names associated with Emerson or Castle are in no way a reflection of the original company's intent. I suspect the current Castle line would be a good example of why conglomerate sameness are not good for audio.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 382
I still own the Castle Warwick 3. Which was a real Castle Acoustics model, not IAG.

It's a nice speaker. Also had the Conway 3 for a little while. Also nice.

I haven't heard the new IAG models, but have been told that they fall short in many areas. One guy I talked to described them as awful sounding and a disgrace to the former Castle Acoustics name and reputation.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3479
So far the new Castle speakers are not faring well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us