Urgent 2.1 Setup Help Needed!

Username: Sumstuf

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, my dad just brought home the Bose CineMate 2, and the horror on my face when he saw it.. omg. I need a good 2.1 setup so my dad can return this sob. I have a few speakers in mind. Below is a list of speakers and subwoofers on sale at Best Buy Canada and Futureshop. It is a long list but it shows only all the speakers and subwoofer that is on sale.

Best Buy Speakers

Klipsch Icon Tower Speakers (VF-36) - Pair $699 save 560
Klipsch Synergy Tower Speakers (F2) - Black - Pair $399 save 400

Futureshop Speakers

Klipsch Reference IV 3-Way Tower Speaker (RF82) - Single $399 save 300
Klipsch Tower Speaker (RF62) - Single $399 save 160
Polk Audio Floor Standing Speaker (RTI10) - Black - Single $250 save 250
Polk Audio Floor Standing Speaker (RTIA5) - Black - Single $340 save 170
Polk Audio Floor Standing Speaker (RTIA7) - Black - Single $450 save 180

Best Buy Subwoofers

JBL 10" 300 Watt Subwoofer (ES150P) $339 save 110
Klipsch 10" 450 Watts Subwoofer (SW-450) $450 save 200
Klipsch 8" 350 Watts Subwoofer (SW-350) - Black $350 save 150

Futureshop Subwoofers

Klipsch 10" Subwoofer (RPW-10) $400 save 100
Polk Audio 12" Powered Subwoofer (PSW125) - Black $350 save 90

We just recently bought a Samsung UN55B8000 (pretty nice) and I just picked up a Yamaha 6260B for $450 saved 250. Honestly my receiver can handle so much juice. Why Bose? Help me send it back to Best Buy Canada!

My budget is around $800. Most of the speakers are out of stock on Best Buy Canada and Futureshop, so, please still recommend them because I can look somewhere else like Visions, Crutchfield, Gibby's. Most of the sale is til December 31st or today is the last day. So, prices will be different tommorow. Just recommend me any awesome 2.1 speaker setup with a budget around $800. By the way my living room is huge (I can't measure it now because my dad is watching tv). There is no way those 2 little Bose speakers are going to fill the whole room. Just no way! The Bose was $600 after 100 saved, so basicly, return it plus a little more cash for a great a 2.1 setup.

I already bought all my cables and stuff from Monoprice too. Just waiting on the speakers to finish my HT. Help me out!!!

I will update this list with Visions, Crutchfield, and Gibby's speaker and subwoofer deals tomorrow as today is the last day of their sales. Starting tomorrow they might have new deals on speakers, so, I can update them first thing in the morning when they put it up.

I just talked to my dad after finishing this post. Seriously, I gave him some small talk about buying better speakers in the same price range, if not, a little bit more money. I told him if he was happy with Bose (he hasn't tried it yet cause can't return open box items) then that would be best. But I am confident we could get some kickass speakers for just a little more. So he is willing to change them just need some professional advice and that is it!!!

I'm looking towards the Klipsch Icon Tower Speakers (VF-36) - Pair: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10111685&catid=20322. There is only 20 left with any solid advice and we can pull the trigger!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14277
Richard, telling Dad what is bad,with your reasoning, is fine, but your replacement, with a given time constraint does not seem like a reasonable solution if your decision is based on price alone.

Buying even good deal stuff from a store with no information going in is not the recommended process.

You cannot hear the thing to compare. the store is a nightmare to listen in, if you do at all, if buying sound unheard.

Are you going to go out in the next 20 mins. and buy what we name?

Dude, just buy the minimum, and I mean minimum required to get by until you all go and listen to some stuff in even a basic hifi shop. See what Pop likes. Listen around. Have fun. Shops have used stuff too.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
I see, that is great advice. But from what I heard about Bose is that it is overpriced. Your right about getting by with the minimum but the little Bose speakers won't do any good. So I guess, I'll have to shop around a bit. But in the meantime, are those speakers I listed good? I'll check them out in Best Buy and Futureshop if they hooked them up. Oh by the way.. ya my time constraint is very limited as these sales are almost completely done. So, if I can grab a great pair of speakers right now that would be awesome. It is out of stock everywhere online, I'll have to search through all the Best Buy and Futureshop in my city.. quite a journey.. but I guess it could be worth it. Thank you in advance for any more help.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 447
Are there any specials on Energy or Mission speakers at Futureshop? Those are two of their better lines. I'd also suggest trying Kromer Radio. They stock Paradigm, Mordaunt Short, and Monitor Audio and may have a sale. Bay Bloor Radio is another one to check out, they carry PSB and I believe KEF as well. I looked at their flyer a few days ago and PSB speakers are on sale.

I suggest these two stores because they are more hifi than BB or FS, but they also are a bit more big box than a small audio store. They carry receivers and do home theatre and often have things on sale. They are also relatively close together in downtown Toronto and both easy to do business with.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14278
I was singularly unimpressed with BayBloor last time I was in there to listen to Totems.
I would suggest Kromer if you are going in blind.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 448
What happened there Nuck? I've never had a problem at either place, but my expectations aren't that high to begin with. They are just different kinds of stores than the typical audio shop.

If Richard is just looking to do something quickly and price is a concern, I would tend to look at PSB and KEF at Bay Bloor or Mordaunt Short and Monitor Audio at Kromer. Buy the one at the best price but also try to listen a little to hopefully identify the sound that you like most. Doing it this way though, as you said Nuck, does not help to ensure he will end up enjoying the purchase over the long run. Then again he might, since it's a home theatre application. All of these brands are quite well regarded for their entry level speakers and I think are generally seen as a step up from Klipsch and Polk (which aren't terrible by any means).

Come to think of it, 2001 Audio Video might be another option. I think they stock KEF and PSB.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
I have no idea what PSB and KEF is. The only brand name that I know is Polk Audio, JBL, and Klipsch because Best Buy and Futureshop carries alot of it. Sorry for my newbness. If PSB and KEF is better than those brands at BB and FS, then I'll go to Bay Bloor, Kromer, and 2001 Audio to check out the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3461
I've owned the Klipsch F2's before, and they're actually not bad for the money, the RF's are much better. The new Icon line are more geared toward HT, from what I've seen so I'd stay away from those.

Like Dan mentioned, Energy or Mission is a better bet if you really must shop at the local big box.

Maybe look into the Paradigm Monitor line too if you can find a local dealer.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 449
Yup, check them out Richard. These other brands I'd say are a little more highly regarded, though ultimately you may prefer JBL, Klipsch, or Polk, and that's okay. One thing to consider, Klipsch are probably the easiest to drive to loud volumes. You mentioned that the room the system will be in is huge. So Klipsch may actually be the most appropriate in your scenario, but that said I don't think any of these speakers mentioned is that hard to drive.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14283
Hard to drive is hard to guess.
I had Psb's that killed receivers.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
I guess I'll go for PSB and Paradigm most likely since they are made in Canada. Kennedy HiFi is having a 20 - 25% off sale for PSB and Paradigm speakers. I will listen to all the speakers before I make a final decision. But from what I have been reading PSB and Paradigm is a solid brand so I'll give it a little more priority.

Bay Bloor, Kromer, and Kennedy HiFi won't open til January 2, 2010. By the way, Happy New Year everyone.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3467
Can't go wrong with stuff made in Canada. 'Course I'm biased.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14285
Monitor Audio RS5's are around this price, no?
I would always suggest the RS6's, but i do not know the receiver.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 450
His receiver is a Yamaha 6260B. His budget is $800 - the RS6 is probably $200 more than that. The RS5 should be right about in his range, but from what I gather the RS5 was not carried by as many stores as the RS6 was and would be more difficult to find. My RS5's were $500 but they were a demo model. As his room is large I'd agree Nuck, I'm sure the RS6 is a better fit.

Richard, I've been to Kennedy Hifi a couple of times. Never bought anything from them but they were always very helpful. Sounds like they are offering some pretty good deals now. I believe they also sell Yamaha receivers, so they can probably advise whether yours will have any problem driving PSB or Paradigm speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us