BUZZ THRU HEADPHONES WHEN TRYING TO USE TURNTABLE

Username: Motherheavy

SOUTH CAROLINA

Post Number: 7
I'm stumped!

Am using a Technics SL-B210 turntable that has a "buzz" sound heard through my headphones.

I have double checked to make sure all AC plugs are put in the same was so there is no issue with polarity.

At one point it seemed like the buzz was isolated to the right headphone so I unplugged the right RCA cable and plugged the left cable in to the right connection. I had no buzz. Thinking it was the one side of the cable I tried using a completely different cable set and just used one of them on the right side. The buzz was there.

I don't have issues with these headphones when listening through other sources (CD player, etc.) but if I try to burn an LP to my CD-R unit the buzz is definitely there.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14285

If the problem was due to non-existent or improper grounding of the table, the noise would appear in both channels and also through your speakers. I can think of no cartridge that would have issues with only one channel as far as grounding is concerned.

If the problem was in the phones, you would have issues with the phones on all sources.

If you have no buzz (more likely 60Hz hum) through your speakers, you have problems internal to the receiver. The signal flows from the phono pre amp (or any other source you are using) of the unit through the selector switch meaning all sources are "hot" whether you have selected to listen to them or not. This would tend to isolate the problem to the selector switch but that again should present noise through your speakers.

You do have speakers connected to this system, right?

If you have speakers connected and the noise is not present in the speakers but only through headphones, you have a complete mystery as most receivers do not feed the headphone signal through the power amplifier but rather have an ic based headphone amp dedicated only to the headphone output. The ic cannot be selective of which input you are using and would therefore produce the same noise from all sources. The exception would be if the problem exists in the selector switch but that would produce noise through your speakers when listening to phono.

I suspect there's something you haven't told us about this set up.

Tables with plug in headshells often have oxidation problems related to the multiple connection points between cartridge output pins and RCA's at the back of the table. Since these connections are either too small and delicate for most consumers to repair or they are buried inside the chassis of the table cleaning/repairing these connections should normally be left to a technician with the proper tools and skills.

Obviously, the next step to isolating where the problem exists is to sub either another table or another receiver. If you sub another table, the problem is very likely not going to appear and certainly not if the problem is in your Technics. If you sub another receiver and the issue is in the Technics table, the noise should re-appear. It is a possibility with oxidation problems the act of pulling and re-inserting a plug or connector can temporarilly repair the issue which makes this a not fool proof fix but a place to begin.

If you have the tools and skills you can begin testing the connections at the cartridge/headshell and working your way toward the receiver. Always do so with the receiver powered down between each attempt at a repair and increasing the volume slowly to listen for success. Do not get your hands inside the receiver, as the label tells you there are no user serviceable parts inside. Stop whenever you feel uneasy about attempting anything.

After subbing a new table or receiver you should have a better idea where the problem resides. This sounds more like a cleaning issue than an out and out repair but even simple cleaning can typically be best performed by a technician for a moderate cost.

There is a posibility you have the table located too close to a power source and the cables are picking up induced noise from a transformer or AC line. Try moving the table away from the system as far as possible and hope that solves the problem.

SOUTH CAROLINA

Post Number: 9
Thanks for all the info & suggestions.

Currently I do NOT have speakers hooked up to the amp.

I have also tried this same table to another amp but had the same problem. Both amps do have a place where I could attach a ground wire but this particular table does not have one.

Frankly I'm not looking to sink hundreds of dollars into another turntable since my main goal is to convert all of my vinyl to MP3 (and eventually CD). Are the various turntables being sold for this purpose (typically described as having a USB connection) worth it? There is one Audio Technica one that comes with LP to MP3 transfer software that is fairly affordable (less than $200). I've also seen another type of LP to MP3 transfer system that allows you to use a turntable that has the RCA connections and then plugs in to your computer's sound board. I think it is sold by DAK 2000. Any suggestions on these options?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14274
The phono is overloading the input stage.

Speakers may not sound the same, depending on the receiver and how the headphone amp is in there.

SOUTH CAROLINA

Post Number: 10
What would cause the phono to overload the input stage?

Both the phono and amp are borrowed and the actual owner of the equipment has not said anything to me about them having this problem.

My luck with phonos recently has not been good. I'm about to just go out and buy a new one myself. My only intent for getting one would be transfer vinyl to MP3 / CD. Any suggestions on that route? I've seen an ION brand and an Audio Technica brand that are less than $200. Most of these newer turntables are equipped with an USB connector. I'm not sure if they also include the 'old' RCA connectors or not. If I have to purchase software separate do you have recommendations? Have you heard of the transfer "module" that DAK 2000 sells? You use the RCA connectors going in and then going out you plug in to the back of the computer via the sound card.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14290

"Overloading" the phono pre amp results in distortion not constant noise. The overloading is intermittent and occurs when the cartridge outputs higher than normal peaks of voltage, it would be very unlikely your cartidge would have such high output that it constantly is overloading the phono section of any mass market receiver. This distortion would be in both channels in almost all cases where the problem would become objectionable. While you have not explained this noise in sufficient detail I doubt phono overload is what you are experiencing. A constant buzz or hum is not the sign of overload issues.

"I have also tried this same table to another amp but had the same problem. Both amps do have a place where I could attach a ground wire but this particular table does not have one."

If the noise is consistent with the table when it is used with other receivers, the issues are very likely a result of problems in the table itself. This site; http://www.fixya.com/search/p518183-technics_sl_1210_turntable/phono_leads
might be able to provide more information specific to Technics tables.

This site; http://www.nrpavs.co.nz/archive/Sold_htm/TechnicsSL-B210.htm
shows a ground wire exiting the back of the plinth near the RCA connections. If the table you have shows signs of a wire at one time existing, you can make your assesment of how to proceed. If the issue is a ground problem, a ground cable is the solution. You can test this by connecting the stripped end of a wire to the ground lug on the receiver and then touching the other stripped end of the wire to the ground portion of the RCA plug - the outer ring portion. In almost all cases the RCA's are electrically grounded to the chassis of the table/tonearm. If the RCA's don't result in a temporary fix, you can also try touching the bare end of the wire to the headshell. If this removes the noise, the problem is grounding and you'll have to decide how to go forward with a fix.

Your question about specific tables/programs for recording to MP3 format is not one I'm familiar with - I listen to vinyl and don't try to move it to a lower quality format. I would suggest you direct your questions over on the "computer audio" section of the forum.

Bronze Member

SOUTH CAROLINA

Post Number: 11
I think I may have solved my "buzzing" problem ... now I just need to know how best to complete the remedy.

The turntable is missing the ground wire. I've done some "googling" and found basically two types - one that has a metal plug and the other is just a bare wire on the one end. I am 99.9% sure I need the bare wire type. I have a hunch that when this TT was made the original ground wire might have been soldered into place.

How can I safely remove the bottom of the TT shell to see if I need to solder a new wire or screw it into place? Perhaps if there is any metal on the outside of the TT I could just try and screw a ground wire into place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Please keep in mind this is a borrowed TT so I don't want to cosmetically change the look of the TT but putting unnecessary holes or breaking anything in the process of fixing this issue.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14299

The base plate of a Technics table was usually held on by the screws that attached the feet. Try touching the bare ground wire to the screws in the feet. If you're lucky, one of them will have an electrical ground to the chassis/arm. If that's the case, just back out the screw far enough to secure the bare wire and carefully go from there. If not, remove the screws/feet and proceed to get the baseplate off from there. If this is a borrwed table, you need not solder the cable, just make a good temp connection by tightly wrapping the cable around the internal ground lug.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us