My Christmas Gift

Bronze Member
Username: Bluemark81

NB Canada

Post Number: 77
For Christmas I got a pair of Lafleur X1 speakers for my 2 channel system. I heard them first at the 2009 HiFi show in Montreal and were the most impressive product I heard at the show. They are a Quebec company and use Scanspeak Revelator drivers. Have a listen if you ever have a chance.
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11628
They look fabulous! Congrats and enjoy!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14225
Those are very specialspeakers, bm.
Tell us more as they run in?

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 79
They replaced my B&W 804's and as good as they were, the X1's are far superior. Knocking on the enclosures is like knocking on a brick. Completely dead. Amazingly deep base for a monitor with a 5" driver and very satisfying. I have no craving at all for deeper base. I have not heard a speaker with such a large soundstage and pinpoint imaging. I will be comparing them to my Paradigm Signature S6's in the coming weeks and I'm afraid the X1's will topple them, although they are a more expensive speaker as well.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 844
Gorgeous. Really fond of those stands too!

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 80
The stands weigh a ton. Top platform has 3 brass discs inset into it where the 3 spikes on the underside of the speakers rest. I will take pics of the stands without the speaker. The bottom of the speaker is ported as opposed to the front or back. Apparently it is done this way as they always have control how far the port is from the nearest surface. The columns of the stands appear to be ductile iron. These are what give the stands most of their heft. I will post more pics soon.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2892
Beautiful speakers Blue. Can't wait to hear the comparison of those against the S6's. Fun. Hey I know you use to have the huge SIMS amps but I see in your pictures there is a Bryston amp? More new gears?

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 81
Nick:

Still have the Simaudios. The pics above actually are not mine. I have not been able to take my own pics yet as its been too hectic with Christmas. I plan on taking some of my own pics in the next few days. However, the Lafleurs are currently being driven by my Rotel gear in another room. I am thinking of upgrading the Rotel stuff. Considering giving Xindak a try, but not sure yet.

Upload

My system being powered by the Simaudios is shown below
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3451
You've got some NICE stuff blue!

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 82
Thanks David! I'm pretty pleased with it all.

Bronze Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 93
Sweet looking speakers blue
Bet the sound awesome
enjoy

Gold Member

Post Number: 2894
lol look at the size of that Sim Audio amp on the left side of the room.lol I thought it was a coffee table. Beautiful.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14228
you are posessed, bm.
Very nice collection!
The lafleurs are very rare indeed, probably something that most have never seen before.
They seem a Canadian thing, for the most part, I find.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 83
Nuck:

That's not the first time I've heard that. As you can probably tell, I am a big fan of Canadian gear. (Simaudio, Anthem, Paradigm, Lafleur, Harmony).

I'm away for Christmas right now, but once I get home, I will take some pics of my own of the Lafleurs. Lafleuraudio is a relatively new company that have made quite an impression with their speakers. I am now trying to determine what to change the Rotel to for the Lafleurs. I mentioned Xindak as that is what they were using at the Montreal HiFi show. They have also used Simaudio as well, but I wouldn't mind giving Xindak a try as they make some pretty impressive stuff.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14232
Hands down, Classe.

Please find time to look in Amps guys!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14233
http://grantfidelity.com/site/RITA-880-Reference-Integrated-Tube-Amplifier

Gold Member

Post Number: 2895
Classe, Bryston, Blue Circle,Grant.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 84
I've considered Classe, but I certainly wouldn't say "hands down" over Sim, or Anthem. But certainly a consideration. Another great Canadian company for sure.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14234
Grant is Shunyata and other builders under his label.
Some good stuff there, but all Chinese.
Direct competition to Xindak.

That RITA amp will drive anything.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 85
Its funny you mentioned the RITA. I was looking at that amp yesterday online. Pretty impressive.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14235
The price kinda helps.
Or look Mac.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11642
Actually Grant is Shengya and other builders such as Jungson.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14236
Thanks Art.
The Grant is just a label, but he seems pretty involvd in the gear.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11643
Ian is very involved and really is doing his part to bring respectability to Chinese audio.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14238
Yes, I agree.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 845
What about Primare?

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2259
Doesn't MR have Xindak mono-blocks and is very please with them though he indicated that they run hot.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2756
Yes Mike, the XA8800MN mono blocks.

They are great, detailed yet warm, great bass and vocals are something else with these 24kg (each) monsters. They do get hot, but that's typical for class A amps. These run in class A for the first 50 - 60 watts. They seem suberbly built and well designed with high end components. I loved my MF A5 but I like these even more.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 86
I've heard the XA8800MN's are a great match for the Lafleurs, but yes, being class A, they will run hot.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2757
If those Lafleurs sound as good as they look then you really have some nice speakers there. My Xindaks run Quad 22l's and do so very nicely, although these amps make me yearn for higher end speakers.
But, I think it will be many Christmasses before that happens.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 87
As promised, some of my own pics of the Lafleurs:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 88
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3459
Beautiful finish! How do they sound? You must be a happy camper right about now.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11658
Very nice!

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 89
Most incredible sounding speaker I've heard including my S6's. You wouldn't believe the base from a speaker with a 5" driver.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14264
bm, pull those Lafleur's far out from the corners and hear what they can realy do with midbass and vocals.
Move them around a bit?

These are far more than a big bass trick pony, as you pull them out, things will be much different. Then you will hear what they do best, I think.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 90
Nuck:

These are temporarily placed until we get Christmas over with and we get things back to normal.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1085
Amazing read on the design of those speakers bluemark (as follows) - boy are they expensive, though.

Lafleur X1 Design:}

The X1 ($14,000 USD per pair) is small and dense. Slightly larger than the average minimonitor at 14"H x 11"W x 17"D, and weighing just about 42 pounds, it feels like a solid chunk of wood. A fair bit of engineering has gone into its heavy, dead cabinet. First, the cabinet comprises many horizontal layers of high-grade, Russian-cherry plywood. The center of each slice is cut out by a CNC machine, the slices then stacked atop each other to the desired height. Part of the CNC process involves cutting small holes in each slice around the perimeter of the cabinet. When the slices are stacked, a threaded, stainless-steel rod is then inserted through each vertical series of holes. These rods are then torqued down tight to clamp all the slices solidly together.

All internal edges are radiused -- there are no sharp surfaces. The front panel, a single slab of steel, is affixed to the cabinet not by screws or bolts, but by two more steel rods that extend horizontally through the speaker to join in the middle in a Y configuration, and secured with a bolt at the back of the speaker. This cabinet design has been exceptionally well thought out -- I would assume that this cabinet construction is responsible for a substantial portion of the speakers' $14,000 price. Lafleuraudio claims that each pair of X1s takes a full month to build and finish. Once you've seen one with its top panel removed, it's easy to believe.

The X1's front baffle is covered with padded leather. The horizontal striations of the plywood laminae stand out beautifully in the lighter finishes, and contrast nicely with the leather front. If I were ordering this speaker, I'd choose a lighter color; with the darker finishes, it's hard to see the different layers. After all, it's this construction that sets the X1 apart -- why not show it off?

At the rear is one pair of really nice binding posts. At first I thought the X1 was a sealed design, but while talking to Emanuel Lafleur, I discovered a port hidden underneath the rear end of the speaker, right where its you-know-what would reside. Lafleur informed me that he aimed the port to fire downward, as it would then be more likely to be a consistent 24" from the nearest surface (the floor) -- a distance calculated into the design of the speaker and its dedicated, massive, beautifully designed stands, which are included in the purchase price. (My review samples came with a set of very heavy, four-post metal stands.)

Top-notch, seriously high-end drive-units are used in the X1: a Scan-Speak Revelator 5" woofer and a Scan-Speak 1.5" tweeter. For the price, they should be. The X1's crossover is wired point to point in what Lafleur claims is a unique, proprietary design. The crossover components are potted in bitumen in order to control resonances. The company specifies that the X1's sensitivity is 87dB/2.83V/m and that it presents the amplifier with an impedance of 8 ohms. The frequency response is claimed to be 45Hz-20kHz.

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2758
Bluemark, after reading the review quote that George copied here, I am in awe of these speakers. However, and I'm not knocking them, but I really wonder how multiple layers bound by bolted rods would be any more beneficial than solid mdf when the density would, imo, be more uniformly spread throughout the enclosure mass. It just a design concept that makes me wonder though I admit I'm clueless when it comes to physics. Without hearing these speakers and regardless of the price, I sense they would sound absolutely wonderful. But, is it more in the design and parts rather than the construction? I find them quite intriguing and would love to hear them.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 91
M.R.

I would have thought the exact same thing prior to hearing them, but goes to show what I know. I guess the goal was stiffness as opposed to homogeneity. I don't think they are using the traditional plywood that we get from the hardware stores. All I know is that these speakers are the most dense I've ever experienced. Like I said in an earlier post, when I knock on the side of them, it is like knocking on the side of a brick. Totally dead. I've wondered what effect laminating several layers of MDF together that are cut using the same CNC process would accomplish. In any case, what they have done is working. It is the same process used by Magico in the pic below:

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14265
solid, indeed!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2760
Yep, that's solid all right. Obviously there is more bonding than just the bolts. As I said before, I'd love to hear these speakers.

But I'd hate to pay for 'em.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11666
They look a lot like the Magico Mini.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 92
The assembly pic above is the Magico Mini. Yes, there is a definite resemblence.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14267
I am in Montreal for a coupla days, who is showing the Lafleurs here I wonder?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3129
The same driver as the Madisound RBR, I wonder whatever became of the kit-guy that came storming though these parts a while back?

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 93
Nuck:

I would contact Lafleur directly to find out.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 770
"but I really wonder how multiple layers bound by bolted rods would be any more beneficial than solid mdf when the density would, imo, be more uniformly spread throughout the enclosure mass."

My understanding would be this isn't just an attempt at creating a very dense material, but also at resonance control. Using different materials at different layers would control resonances (each layer would have a different resonance frequency) better than a single material which can "ring" at a single frequency.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 94
My understanding would be this isn't just an attempt at creating a very dense material, but also at resonance control. Using different materials at different layers would control resonances (each layer would have a different resonance frequency) better than a single material which can "ring" at a single frequency.

I'll buy that!

Gold Member

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2763
Do you really think the design would be that in depth? I would doubt that would be the case (imo) - each layer seems to be from similar material anyway. But I agree a laminated structure may do as you suggest Chris. However, from the photos it would seem they are bonded by glue under pressure as well as bolts giving them as much solidity as any laminated piece of timber.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14269
The birch material being used is most effective in a cross-patterned laminate across the grain.
It makes sense to increase this property by using a stack of the same material. Well, to me, anyhow.

No luck in Montreal, days too long, maybe next trip.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us