Home Threatre

Username: Danvln

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I want to buy a home theater for movies (a panasonic viera 1080p) and music (a sony ..) and Xbox games (and media center is coming).
In last 2 weeks I read and asked a lot about systems.
A friend told me that he can give his old Onkyo 705 for 200$ but I've just read that this had some problems with upscaling (is true)... please let me know if I should consider 607 instead. Should I go with 705 even it is older but better model or 607 newer but lower level?
Also I am looking for Onkyo 750 or 870 speakers. I saw that 750 has better reviews but it is older (same problem as below).
The budget for Receiver is ~350$ ( 50$ more or less or I can cut from speakers)
The budget for speakers is ~ 300$ ( 50$ more or less or I can cut from receiver)
I took a look on Yamaha for systems: RX-V363 or RX-V463 but I wasn't able to compare them with Onkyo.
Please let me know if you have any other suggestions and what do you think about what I wrote above.

Thanks and I hope I didn't ask too much ,
Dan

And sorry that I misspelled the title

Post Number: 2
So, there is anyone ?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2732
What you need to consider is your source - will you have blu-ray for example? If so, if your receiver does not decode the new hi-rez lossless formats from Dolby and DTS you'll need a player that does via component or hdmi outputs. Older model receivers may not have the latest hdmi version which could also be problematic.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1453
I'm not sure about the Onkyo 705, but overall there is not much advantage to buying an older receiver of this vintage. I bet the reason your friend wants to sell it is just so he can get a newer version of the Onkyos

Go for one of the newer ones

Post Number: 3
1. Yes, I'll have a blu-ray but I want to be sure that the receiver is capable to do that becasue the blu-ray can be on the media center and I do not know yet what capabilities will have this machines.
2. Yes, my friend just bought a 707 model.

Please let me know if you have more info and thank you for your answers.

Post Number: 4
Which one of these do you think that is better :

YAMAHA 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver RX-V565

ONKYO 7.2-Channel Black Home Theater Receiver TX-SR607

Username: Jteeee

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 1
Please help,
Ive just bought the panasonic 50" G10 series plasma and i also picked up the yamaha 7.1 channel YHT-492AU surround sound system. Now i want to hook up both plus my pay tv cable box and maybe down the track a bluray dvd player via hdmi. Now my tv has got 3Xhdmi and the yamaha 492 has got 4x hdmi (i made sure of that) My question is if i hook up my pay tv, bluray to my reciever and hook up my reciever to the plasma would i then have to muck around with the reciever remote control aswell as the tv's remote or would it be dumb or can it be done if i hook all of these straight to the tv then would i eliminate using both remotes. I hope this makes sence. Could someone help me get the set up right and user friendly?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14153
JTee, your dealer must have laid all of this out for you?

Username: Jteeee

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 2
I bought all the gear from websites, went to a couple of stores and asked around but they either didnt know or if you dont buy they dont help!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14158
http://www.ceaconnectionsguide.com/

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1454
Jtee you should create your own thread to ask your questions.

Dan if the specs for both work for you then the only thing left would be to listen to the sound or if you are so inclined, buy with a 30 day return guarantee and try them out.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14159
Sorry Dan, I lost track.
The 7.2 receiver may offer some sub advantges, if it is one with seperate control in crossover and delay.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us