Auditioning a $100k + Stereo setup!

Bronze Member
Username: Nick_belsky

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 65
I have been posting in the pre-amp section and just put together a wonderful Mac system. While auditioning various pre-amp and amplifier combos, I got in touch with a friend of mine out of state about a Halcro combo. I have never heard Halcro and decided, while out of town for work, I would go hear one. I got info today from the dealer and here is the setup that is available:

Wadia 581ise

Halcro dm10

Halcro dm58

mbl 101e

Cardas Golden Reference

I have never heard of some of this equipment. I looked them up and found out it all adds up to well over $100k! My biggest question is about the MBL's, what the hell kind of speakers are they? I can see from their design they are not using traditional drivers or other components...

These are stock photos from MBL's website, but man, these things are pretty!

I am taking some time off next week to go audition these with the Halcro combo. I will definitely check back in afterwards.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 66
Sorry, Not sure why they didn't upload the first time!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Breathtaking design! Way out of my price range though

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3376
I've always been curious about this speaker design. They're ugly as hell (subjective opinion, of course) but I bet they sound awesome.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11436
I agree with you on the looks, David. I imagine they sound good. The Magico speakers intrigue me more though.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3377
How the heck do they work?

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2244
I just heard a pair of Von Schweikert VR-9SEs this week at a friend's house here locally. He too has a system that is over $100K. Simply amazing audition to hear this level of equipment in someone's media room where it has been meticulously set up unlike most audio demo rooms.

I cannot phantom hearing anything better.

The good thing is that I still appreciate my kit and dollar for dollar I would take mine over his, though I would not mind having the bass presences those VR-9SEs put out. That to me was the biggest difference in my kit to his, not to say that every aspect of his was not better than mine in some manner.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1350
mbl makes some fantastic sounding gear.. You will be in for a treat with these. The only speakers that I have heard give these a run for the money were the Wilson Audio WAMM.

Granted, the WAMM were also fronted with ultra top of the line gear :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14093
A 100k kit in a 100k house...hmmm...

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1351
LOL nuck

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1352
Ugh...I think I have found a new side effect of my epilepsy meds... tinnitus....

It is not unbearable and I can definatly put up with it, especially being that I can have a somewhat normal life. I will take low level tinnitus that really does not interfere with my hearing vs. having seizures.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14100
My cousin has the same effect, GRC, and the meds are great for her (was GM monthly) perfect for 20 yrs... Is that the phone?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14101
Gav, I would rather think that your hearing and appreciation will ride out the tinnitus very quickly.
I have had some hearing issues lately as well, but the music does not stop.
Just adapt and take what you want.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 67
I read through the MBL website trying to find some kind of reference as to how those speakers work, but the explanations were very vague. I will be drilling the dealer on those speakers...especially if they sound great.

Silver Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 125
I will be drilling the dealer on those speakers...

I hope he is giving you a deal for that lol.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3584
I heard a pair of MBLs a while back. The room wasn't the best I've ever been in, and I think they were driven by some upper end Conrad Johnson gear. They're pretty odd looking in pics. They're also pretty odd looking in person, but in a different way. I don't think pics do them justice. The looked impeccably made, but ugle none the less (to my eyes anyway). A friend who had never been in a real audio shop before had no idea what they were. When the salesman told him the were speakers, he started laughing. He thought they were some sort of Art Decco lamps.

They sounded bigger than pretty much any other speaker I've ever heard. The soundstage was pretty much the entire room. The 'sweet spot' was pretty broad too.

Then the salesman hooked up some Verity speakers that were about 1/3 the price. I liked the Verities a lot more. The sounded smaller and a bit congested and compressed in comparison, yet I thought they sounded sweeter and far more musical. The MBLs sounded a bit bleached in comparison.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people like the MBLs far better. My friend was enamored with them, as was I. He liked them better than the Verities. After hearing both speakers, he got what the hobby is all about. He still has his stupid HTIB system though!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3585
I've also heard Halcro. Phenominal gear. Very, very clean sounding, yet musical at the same time. That dealer let me play around with a $200k Halco and Verity system while he ate lunch and waited for the guy demoing it to show up. He told me to "Warm up the system. The guy will be here in 20 minutes."

The Halcro stuff looks a bit odd too. Kind of a Star Trek thing going on.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3586
I just keep posting...

I think the MBLs work like planar speakers do.

The salesman told my friend and I that one of the NY Giants guys that was demoing some gear thought they were a pair of space heaters.

He's sold several systems to Giants players. They mostly bought Mac or B&O systems, mainly due to their looks.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 86
I will be drilling the dealer on those speakers...

I hope he is giving you a deal for that lol.

That came out wrong...

They do kind of look like space heaters

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 87
What about the Wadia CDP? Is that something that will synergize well with these speakers?

Keep in mind, my priority here is the Halcro combo... but those speakers keeping throwing me for a loop!

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 415
I think they look pretty cool.

The most expensive speaker I've ever heard was one of those giant JM Lab Utopia towers. I was very disappointed. It had a very grainy, unclear sound.

Heard a pair of Neeper Perfection One's as well, those were great.

Not heard anything like the MBL though.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11441
I heard the Halcro amps with Wilson Maxx 2's and it sounded way better than it had a right to, considering the Wilson reputation. My favorite flagship speakers that I've heard are the humble Vandersteen Model 5a...great speakers.

BTW I've heard the big Focals and can't say that I agree with Dan's assessment. They sounded pretty good with Bel Canto and Sugden gear...if I had the money I would not buy them though, in that I'm sure Dan and I do agree. Something about them just wasn't quite right for me.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1064
Maybe just me but those MBL's look like bug-zappers. That or an oil lamp.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 96
When I bought my C5's I was fortunate enough to audition the Dynaudio Evidence Masters on 1000w MonoBlocks. I have used that as my reference system since. They are the only $100k speakers I have ever heard, or anything close to $100k for that matter.

eeeeehhhhhh, some day, I'll have Masters setup with a Dynaudio Arbitor combo!

Wishful Thinking...

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1355
I have great news....

I have an ear infection!!!!!

LOL

in other words, I went to the doctor and he said that my eardrum looks a little swollen and infected and is more than likely responsible for my tinnitus, especially being that it appeared randomly and with no loss of hearing.

so...I have my fingers crossed.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1356
and as far as how the MBL speakers work, the lamelle (I think that is how it is spelled) are bent arount a metal pole piece, and oscillated to produce sound. Think a marimba pipe vibrating after being struck with a mallet. (hence these speakers are known as the "biegeschwinger" in Germany)

Obviously this is an over-simplified view of how these speakers function

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1357
and as far as the mbl having "bleached" sound....

I can see how you would say that... the soundstage was massive, but without any warmth to it what so ever...

Silver Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 105
Well, I heard the whole setup today. One thing I found very difficult going in was "How am I going to know what the Halcro's are doing" being that I've never heard Halcro nor the MBL? How could I properly reference them?

I decided to try some music that I knew intimately. I didn't have a whole lot of time so I stuck with my main 3 songs plus one extra. One of the albums is recorded very well, the next is a mediocre grade recording, and the third was, well "digitally remastered" and very poorly recorded. I wanted to see how "bad" the recording was in the audition. I figured if the system was more revealing than my current setup, I would know it immediately.

I started out with Evanescence (fairly well recorded album). The female vocals were amazing. They sounded as if she was right in front of me about 15 feet away. The other instruments, I could pin point right where the musicians were sitting. The spatial imaging was incredible. On My Immortal, the range of vocals sang throughout the room...simply amazing, even the fact that they seemed a little too far away for my liking. Very articulate and transparent highs and very deep lows. The speakers performed incredible well in these areas; the midrange was somewhat lacking compared to my Forests.

Next we listened to good ol' Metallica, Shortest Straw from the And Justice for All album. Again, the speakers performed very well in the bass and high aspects and lacked in the midrange. Not the best recording out there and the imperfections were heard about the same as my current system reveals them. A little bit of a droning noise in the background when all instruments fell silent, but nothing too annoying or even noticeable for that matter.

Next, we listened to the digitally remastered Dairy of a Madman by none other than Ozzy. This is the album that I knew had a very poor recording. The dealer and I couldn't even listen to the entire song it's imperfections stood out so much. The bass from the drums was not evident much at all to the point where we couldn't even feel it, the highs were ok, but the voice is where the bad stuff really stood out. It sounded very hollow, as if I had paper towel tubes up to my ears trying to perpendicularly listen to the speakers; absolutely horrible.

We then listened to several Jazz and other remastered versions of 60's and 70's rock (much better than the Ozzy recordings) and even through some Symphonic Pink Floyd. Again, the speakers really shine in the bass and high regions of the spectrum. Female vocal sound fantastic in general. With the unique design of these speakers, I can honestly say, no matter where you stood or sat in the room the tone never seemed to change. It held constant. Technically, I can't explain it but I think it has to do with the radiating sound being in all directions instead of a specific direction as with conventional designed speakers. I could stand behind them, to either side, even directly linear to both and the tones never changed. It even sounded as if I had headphones on when I stooped down while in a linear position with the speakers.

I guess the bottom line is yes, the Halcros are more revealing than my Macs. The areas that were lacking in this setup I feel were coming from the MBLs since those areas are very strong on my Mac/Forest and Mac/Dyn combos. This leads me to believe that the Mac's are definitely reproducing the sound (or perhaps adding the color to them) as I like; in the midrange. Hearing the same imperfections on a much more notable scale leads me to believe the Halcros are very transparent, perhaps even to the point where they add no color at all.

For now, I am sticking to my Macs, but when the upgrade itch hits again...I may seriously look into getting Halcros. I really want to hear them on my Forests or even my C5s. However, I think my next upgrade may be in the HT instead of the stereo area as I am just finishing putting together the best stereo system I have ever had. The HT however will be a different story. There may be a pair of C5s, C3s, and Confidence Center for sale on the boards soon...all to make way for my Evidence Temptation and Evidence Centers

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3594
"Next we listened to good ol' Metallica, Shortest Straw from the And Justice for All album. Again, the speakers performed very well in the bass and high aspects and lacked in the midrange."

You heard bass in that recording?

Yeah, I know. Bass drums. Jason Newstead's bass playing was turned way down, reportedly in a effort to haze him. In Guitar Hero Metallica, you can turn the bass guitar up. I think it sounds better with the bass guitar.

Oh yeah...
Halcro is the least colored and non-sonic signature gear I've heard. I'm pretty sure everything you were hearing was more or less the MBLs' and the source's influence. Compared to everything else I've heard, Halcro is about as perfect (from an unadulterated sonic signal perspective) as it gets. For equal money, I'd rather a Porsche Cayman S. I'm sure others would rather the Halcro gear though.

Silver Member

North Canton, Ohio USA

Post Number: 108
Yes, I was referring to the drums. Like I said, the recording itself is mediocre at best, mainly due to the bass guitar. I would think it would be better if the bass guitar was louder...

I was a little unsure of which was coming through better, the amps or the speakers. Again, not ever hearing either, I had little to reference them to. I am assuming that the speakers is where I was hearing the lacking components as from what you also have confirmed, Halcro is know for being uncolored more so than most, if any, other amplifiers out there.

Oh, personally, I would take a Cayman S over the Halcro any day too

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1452
"A 100k kit in a 100k house...hmmm..."

I knew a guy once who bought a brand new Chevette (for those of you old enough to remember Chevettes) he then spend $5500 for the car audio

The Chevette was about around $8k.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us