Post Number: 1
this is a new diy suwoofer project
diy subwoofer sealed box design - for musical audiophile

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14240

No measurements of the finished product?

From your site; "You will understand the two major aspects of sound behavior: absorption and diffusion."

I would argue the single most important aspect of sound behavior within the confines of a room is "reflection", which you have not addressed in that sentence other than by inference. Unless you first understand reflection - by understanding how sound waves of various lengths travel - your attempts at absorption and diffusion will be hit or miss with the emphasis on the latter.

You know what you're after in your acoustic treatments but I would say RealTraps as a company tends to over do their rooms while striving for the flattest measured frequency response and IMO often times ignoring the human element of the listener and their music. The "perception" of the listener is not always relevant to RealTraps treatments. That is to say they have a very definite concept of what you should hear based on their own highly personal interpretations of the "science" of acoustics (of which the owner of the company has no formal training).

Relying on the information provided in their videos and on line tutorials can cause you to ignore some other approaches to effective room treatments. The (former?) owner of RealTraps (pictured in the videos on your site) tends to have problems with competition from other acoustics companies (this after lifting the idea for room treatments from another company) and has a reputation on the internet for slamming competing products with a viciousness seldom, if ever, seen from more professional companies. (The editor of one major audio magazine politely describes him as "anti-social".) Those are my opinions, of course, and you are free to come to your own conclusions about the company and their products.

Room treatments are without doubt the single most over looked component in most high end systems forced by necessity to exist in a domestic environment. Their selection and implementation should be given as much, if not more, careful consideration as you would give any other equipment purchase. I would guess that in most domestic situations a room filled with a dozen or more refrigerator door sized panels is less than acceptable.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14094
Absolutely!
The room treatment and conditioning has beed the bane of gear sellers everywhere!
With a few very simple measurements, on can assume the sound of a room, its likely nodes and holes, with a calculator. Bass frequency is very measurable, and responds as expected. Denoting the nastie notes is a matter of measurement and diffusion refraction or absorption.

Do not waste the energy, but rather direct it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14095
Welcome, RP!

How do you find the triangle speakers?
Underrated, in my opinion, and under represented.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3380
Whens the next Zep reunion RP?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14117
RP has his mouth full of Krauss at the moment...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3397
We'll just wait patiently then...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14136
Humming the tune from 'Jeopardy'

with a mouth full of Krauss...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3401
I'm not sure Mr. Plant would be willing to share Nuck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us