Yamaha rx-v3900 or pioneer elite?

Username: Blair387

Post Number: 5
Looking online at receivers to buy, but I was wondering what people think of either the Yamaha rx-3900 or the Pioneer Elite sc-25, or any other SC elite model? Is there one better than the other, as far as sound/video and build quality? It will mostly be used for movies and ps3 games. Both receivers I found online are around the $1200 range. I hear that the elite series are really good, and their new ones have the ice amps? Also is there a different video processor on the rx 3900 vs the rx 1900? They both use anchor bay technology chips, but some say the 3900 has a newer one?

Which one would you choose?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14239

For a budget of around $1200 you can certainly do better than either of those two receivers IMO. Of course, HT receivers are more than just being about sound quality and possibly you want a particular feature or connection found on these receivers. However, with sound quality as your main priority, I would say continue to look.

The general consensus remains to not run your video through your receiver to add even further processing to an already over processed signal. Of course, it's possible you like the look of over processed video. Maybe you think things look better with heavy dark black lines drawn around every character and contrast values that over emphasize the lack of power supply available in most video monitors. However, if you prefer a more film like experience from your video, you'll ignore the video processing circuits of the receivers and plug directly into your monitor and move the video presets off "Sports" when you watch Wheel of Fortune.

Of course, it's possible you prefer to never speak to a real human being while buying this system. If so, then buying online should suit your purpose and either of your choices should be equally as interchangeable as the other. However, getting into a high quality dealership - no Big Box Best Buy or the like - and discussing this with a more well trained individual probably would increase your chances of getting a better component than either of the two you've mentioned.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2856
I fully agree with Jan. The current Yamaha and Pioneer units have stepped up their games as far as sound quality goes for in the 1200 dollar range IMO there is much better to be had. I would be looking at Cambridge,NAD,Rotel and Onkyo in that price range. For something that is going to sound decent and have all the bells and whistles then Onkyo it would have to be. Something a little simpler but with large power supplies and designed more so toward SQ, then probably one of the first three mentioned. Just my opinion. If I had 1200 dollars to spend on an AVR, it wouldnt be toward a Yamaha or Pioneer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us