Would the Yamaha RX-V1400 match my Ascend 170's and SVS PB1-1SD??

Dogsbody
I have a pair of Ascend 170's, an Ascend 340 center, and SVS PB1-1SD subwoofer on the way (I can't wait!) and am looking to uprgrade my receiver. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha RX-V1400 but am also considering the HK 525 or possible a Marantz. I listen mostly to music, all types, but also watch quite a few DVD's. I'm overseas and don't have a chance to check these receivers out first hand, so would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!!

Hawk
Dogsbody:

If you listen mainly to music, the Yamaha is not the right choice. I think the 1400 does a nice job with HT, but suffers when playing music.

Better to go with a Marantz 7300, which is far more musical sounding.

Dogsbody
Thanks for the input, Hawk. I'm looking for a good deal on the Marantz online now. By the way, what's the difference between the 7300 and the 7300se??

Dogsbody
Can anyone (Hawk?) tell me if the Marantz 7300 has component-video switching? Thanks

G-Man
The Marantz 7300 has component-video switching.

Just added room to my house to be used as family/home theater room. Room is 20' x 22' and opens into kitchen that is 10' x 22'. Have trey ceiling in family room which is slanted at about 45 degrees which allowed me to install 6 Niles 100W each DS6.3 ceiling speakers (3 across the front and three across the back) pointed down toward listener. Speaker direction also adjustable. Have installed new plasma tv but amp although working is about 15 yrs old. Want to upgrade amp. Yamaha RXV1400 caught my eye. Good choice? Would like to keep under $1000. Use would be 98% home theater 2% music. Getting up in years so clarity of spoken sound much more important than power. Any advice would be appreciated.Klipsch RW8 100W subwoofer also part of setup.

Dogsbody
Thanks, G-Man, the Marantz is sounding better and better.

Niles speakers. Klipsch RW* 100W subwoofer. Installed 6 100w EA Niles ceiling speakers + 100W subwoofer for home theater. Looking for receiver (maybe Yamaha RXV1400?). 98% TV 2% music. Like to keep price under $1k. Suggestions? Getting old so clarity of sound most important. Any input appreciated.

Hawk
Dogsbody:

Not only does the marantz 7300 have component video switching--two inputs and one output--it has a video bandwidth of 88 Mhz (according to Marantz Technical Support), plenty wide enough for just about any current video format.

Hawk
Jim:

I have not heard the exact Niles speakers you have installed, but I have experienced a number of Niles in-wall installations. I find them pretty bright, no doubt intentional on their part as it is tough to get good articulation from an in-wall speaker. This can be a problem as the Yamaha is also a bright sounding amplifier, which can lead to edgy sound and listener fatigue.

I actually think a Marantz 7300 would be a better choice for you, as well. It has six channels and has a much sweeter sound to the amp that works better with the Niles speakers.

You might also look at an NAD 762 to get the good articulation. Like the Marantz, it too has a warmer and sweeter sound than the Yamaha, but it also has the cleanest and clearest sounding amp I have ever heard in a receiver. MSRP is $1299, but is available for just about $950 to $1K from several sources.

G-Man
If you watch mostly movies and are worried about good articulated sound (which everyone should be anyway) you need a good center channel--as that is the main dialogue channel. For center channels I would avoid a center channel ceiling installation if at all possible. The center channel should ideally be just on top of the monitor and if no room---just below. The ceiling will generally just scatter the center channel--either off-axis, or on-axis if you happen to be sitting underneath.

The Niles ceiling speakers (although I have no idea which ones you have--they make a lot of them) will likely be the limiting sound and articulating factor--almost regardless of the receiver you use.

I have a couple of Paradigm ceiling speakers in my sunroom, but I find they are mostly good for background music and non-directional(along with non-critical) listening. I would be lost if I had to rely on them for difficult dialogue situations in movies in scenes with other things going on. They are okay for talking head show presentations.

Hawk & G-Man, thanks for the input. I didn't know this site existed or I would have consulted it before buying anything.Hawk I will certainly go with your advice on purchasing one of the rec/amp you have suggested. G-Man the Niles speakers I have are DS6.3 100W. The front center speaker is located 2' above and 18" in front of a 50" wall mounted plasma TV. Center point of tv is 53" above floor. The speakers (front R&L + center) are all mounted at 45 degree angle down toward the listening area approx 13' away. In addition the movable tweeters are adj to exact center of listening area. Front L&R speakers are also 18" in front of tv and are 7 1/2 ' to left and right of tv center. Rear L&R speakers are also 7 1/2 ' to the left and right of and in line with center of listening area and are also at 45 degree angle down toward listening area w/tweeters also adj to center of listening area. Rear center channel is located on flat part of ceiling about 2' to the rear of listening area and although the speaker points straight down the adjustable tweeter is angled foward to the listening area. Do you or Hawk think I still should make further adjustments to this setup?

Hawk
Jim:

I have looked at the speakers you have said you intend to get and I actually share G-Man's concern. You will be seriously off-axis from the speakers if they are flush-mounted with the ceiling and the sound will not be commesurate with the quality from your plasma TV.

Now, I have seen some rectangular in-wall/ceiling speakers that actually are in the wall, but they have a housing that protrudes out from the wall/ceiling on one side so that they are directed to the listening position. I will need to do some research to find out who makes them, but that is what you need to make your installation work properly.

Alternatively, have you looked into the KEF 2005.2 satellite system? Check it out here:

http://www.kef.com/KHT/

These are very attractive to look at, can be mounted anywhere, even on the ceiling as they come with fully articulating brackets, and the sound is wonderful with a good receiver or amp. A bit more money than the Niles (Cost is about $1100 from Kiefs for five satellites and a nice subwoofer), but I think it is well worth it. My wife, who has a very low tolerance for speakers, even liked them.

Just a thought . . .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us