Thank You Mike and Others

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11411
Mike, I think it was you who first recommended Firefox to me. I finally fiddled around with it last weekend and got it all setup like I want, and man do I like it better than IE4. I still have to leave Firefox for my Windows Mail but so what. I'm lovin' the Fox! Thanks Mike and others!

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1349
yep art... it's all I use (except at work) and I love it.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3087
Firefox is fine, but I prefer Google Chrome, although I still default to Explorer.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11415
Firefox is so much faster than Explorer and has considerably less glitches. Once setup, it is easier to use as well. I love it!

I tried Chrome...not so much, for me anaway.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3088
I'm use to Explorer, plus I think IE8 shortens the gap between Firefox & older versions.

Chrome simply flies, but it's a bit too barebones for everyday use.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11416
IE8 not 4 is what I had...(always updated when asked). You should hang with Firefox 3.5.5, it rocks!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2672
I tried Firefox and Google Chrome, I now have IE8 and am operating on Windows 7 (recently booted out my HP for a faster Acer. I am finding everything works so much better including IE.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11418
I thought so too until I took the time to set up Firefox for appearance and features. Now that it's all set up I couldn't be happier. Goodbye and good riddance to Explorer.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Gold CoastAustralia

Post Number: 2674
I find IE8 is much more suited to Windows 7. Now while everything is problem free, easy and very fast I'm reluctant to alter anything. If it ain't broke . . .

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11419
I would hope it's more suited to Windows 7...and I totally get the "if it ain't broke" thing!

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 828
Hail opensource

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 829
O and Art. 'Mozilla Thunderbird'.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2241
You are welcome Art!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14059
I was going to comment, but the spam and banner ads got in the way...

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2836
IE8 is a huge improvement when running on Windows 7 but it is still no Firefox. The latest FireFox is my first choice for a Windows browser.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 684
Art, What took you so long?

We, meaning semi-geek computer types, even old *&^%'s like me, call it 'Internet Exploiter'.

And, from our 'For What it's Worth Department', I like Mac Safari even better then FireFox in the 10.6 Snow Leopard version.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 741
One thing that is a good security feature for any internet browser is a little utility called DropMyRights. It basically drops the admin privileges of your browser session so that even if your rights on the computer allow modification of system settings, the browser session doesn't. It removes the ability of malware to install itself on your computer through your browser session (e.g., updating your windows registry).

Worth looking at. And it's free.

http://cybercoyote.org/security/drop.shtml

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14061
Uhhh....yeah.

My personal technical advisor suggested that it may be imprudent to investigate further changes to my laptop at this time.

http://www.wiseacre-gardens.com/sound/foghorn06.wav

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14062
As someone else asked earlier, why my links no go clicky?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11420
I'm a dinosaur Leo...truly. Ask the fella's, I still don't know how to rip (?) a cd in a lossless format.

Isn't Mac Safari for Mac's...see Leo, a dinosaur!

Yeah, what's up with those links? Right Nuck!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3346
What links Nuck? In this case it might be because the file extension is wav. Can you post a link to an html resource?

Chris, DropMyRights looks pretty cool. Useful for guys using XP or lower. Pretty sure on Vista (and I would assume Windows 7), browser sessions don't run under admin.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 689
If you run a windows confuser logged in as 'administrator' you pretty much get it.....and 'it' ain't good. Reducing privileges helps with security. Leo LaPorte is the #1 guy to listen to.

I always recommend the FREE version of AdAware, a LavaSoft product. Keep your definitions up-to-date and play safe. Brush after every meal and don't forget to floss.

Yep, Art. I'm for Mac, and I'll never go back.
Only a slight learning curve if you are even minimally PC literate.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2841
Leo have you played with the new Windows 7 yet? Its very Mac like. It wont convert you but may perk you a bit.

Adaware is a great free software. I like. My favorite one at the moment is Malwarebytes. It is a dandy little software.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2842
I use Mozilla Safari on my Fedora Red Hat 10 system at work. (Linux)Rrrrr

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 410
Yup. I've tried each version of IE and the latest of Opera and keep going back to Firefox.

I was using Thunderbird for email, but once I got Microsoft Outlook I haven't looked back. Thunderbird is just a little to bare bones. If you use Outlook's other features, like sticky notes and tasks, it really becomes a very handy application.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1445
Art Here you go

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/mp11/rip.asp x

step by step

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11428
If it speaks computer lingo I'll be lost before I start...just like math. If a math teacher spoke english to me I did well, if they spoke math language I shut down. I'll check it out this weekend, and thank you Stof.

Username: Nout

Netherlands

Post Number: 8
I am currently using Google Chrome beta for OSX and it really is faster than Safari and FireFox...though some functionality is still missing, so Safari will be my main browser.

FireFox is getting interesting because it can handle many video files without having to use Flash, great for Mac users, because Flash is pretty CPU intensive on Macs.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3367
Flash actually hangs Chrome for me on various operating systems. It's a pig.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1446
Nout too bad you have a mac because on a PC you can solve that problem by getting a graphics card. Most people just do with the on-board graphics and its fine for normal browsing, but for more video and graphic intensive stuff it chocks the heck out of the PC. You can get a very decent graphic card (128 bit with 1G on board) for about $50. Lesser graphics card going for about $30 can solve that problem by taking the load off of the processor and stop the flickering people notice on video's.

People think that graphic cards are only for gamers, but don't pay attention to how much videos they are exposed to on various web sites everyday.

Username: Nout

Netherlands

Post Number: 9
Stof, my graphic card is good enough, I am not complaining about stuttery videos or anything like that, but generally Flash on a Mac requirers more CPU than on a similar specified Windows PC.
Nothing to do with graphic cards, but how Adobe has written the Flash Player for the Mac.

Now FireFox has the ability to play some content (which normally would require Adobe's Flash Player or Windows equivalent Silverlight) without the use of a CPU intensive plug-in.

@David Mitchell,
Yes, I have found Google Chrome to be buggy with Flash content, The process "Google Chrome Helper" ocassionally takes 100% CPU in both cores (I have a duo core iMac), which is disturbing to say the least.
I stick with Safari and FireFox.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3373
I hear ya Nout. While I find Chrome to very fast, I also find that I have to give Chrome the three-finger-salute more often than what is acceptable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1447
Nout I don't know how much more Flash player takes from the Mac CPU than on a PC, but I can tell you that it takes plenty from my PC CPU. The utilization really goes up during a long Flash session.

This is where a graphic card processor with its own cpu and memory dedicated to nothing but, will significantly improve your computer speed and your browser no matter which one you use.

In terms of the browsers, honestly the only difference I have found in speed between any of them is how fast they load up. The rest is six of this and half dozen of the others. It is really hard to measure exactly how much a browser is involved in reducing time to display or react since so much depends on your CPU, the specific sites your are visiting and the download speed of your connection as well as the upload speed of the corresponding website at that particular moment.

Remember that large internet hosts like Comcast take highly visited sites like MSN, Yahoo, ESPN among others and cache them entirely on their own systems. This way request for content may never leave their own systems to go to the actual server. So the speed of refresh on sites like these may seem a lot shorter than other less frequently visited sites. Again it may seem the problem with the browser, but it is not.

Another very frustration issue with the speed of the websites is the inability of the advertise adding sites to properly register your computer location and deliver the ad that the sponsors have asked for. This is why I suggest you load a program like Adblock on your Firefox to eliminate these ads and banners and flying ads etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1449
All this talk about speakers is so exciting

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3375
We tend to get off topic.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11431
And why not...

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 695
And just what WAS the topic?

I forgot. Too busy pulling 54 (!) pieces of malware off my 3/4 wit brothers computer. Can't lead, won't follow, bad attitude, no respect. Like he's doing ME a favor letting me fix it. again.

When you get tired of the PC runaround, there's always Mac. More $$ initially, but maint costs are drastically lower. None of the 100$ packages of virus/malware/spyware/trojan/???? whatever software required.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us