Plese help with speaker decision!

Username: Blair387

Post Number: 4
hey everyone,

I have been doing tons and tons of research online for speakers and receivers, but can't decide on what to get. A lot of people tell me to go listen for myself and see what sounds good to me. But the problem is I don't have a big chain store near that carrys anything im interested in. And if they do, its their low end stuff, so I dunno if that would be a very good impression or not?

The first set I had my eye on was Infinity Primus speakers. I've heard many good things about them, but a lot of people say they are just "budget" speakers. Then I started looking at Klipsch Reference line. Very good speakers, but have heard complains about their "harsh" highs because of their horn tweeters.

So now im looking elsewhere. I hear lots of good things about Polk Audo Rti speakers? I'm also considering JBL L series, or Paradigm Monitor series. My budget is around $2000- $2500. But this will be spaced out over time. Im planning on getting a good 12" sub from SVS, as I hear they are really good.

So if anyone has any advice on setups in this price range with these three speaker companies, I would love to know.

I'm planning on getting a yamaha rx-v1900 or rx-v3900 "havent decided yet." So if any of these would sound better with the yamaha, please let me know. I will be using my set up primarily for movies, and games. Don't listen to music much. So if that helps at all, please give me some suggestions.

Thanks everyone.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 825
Definately go to the trouble to find somewhere with more equipment. Especially since you have a pretty decent budget.
When I joined these forums i was like you "I have heard", "I have read" but really I hadn't really heard for myself for a long time until I did and realised it was the best way.
However, having said that I am a victim of buying and selling lots of stuff what to find out what I like simply through boredom and spair time. But audio shops and shows give a helpful insight.

Check KEF 3005 out for a surround system. This comes with a subwoofer which is pretty excellent when I heard it and the sound was very sparkly and dynamic. Whilst obviously the scale of the system isnt as big as larger hi-fi speakers, it'll fit you're preference for movies and games. Then spend the rest on the v1900 or an Onkyo nr807? You may even like Marantz sr7002! Dont just go with reviews!
On a final note dont forget some decent cable!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us