Audio system for bedroom

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 240
As you could tell from the tittle I'm looking for a surround sound system for my room.

I watch a lot of action movies so i am basing the audio system off that.

I also play a lot of first person shooter games, I want to set my xbox to the system so I get a full gaming package.

I would like the kind of system that if a bullet is shot from my right side I can hear it pass onto my left side.

I called best buy and told them the amount of speakers I want and the told me it's a 5.1 system?

I am new to home audio, but do fk with car audio so I do know the basics.

My budget is 300-400

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14206

$300-400 really isn't much for a system that allows bullets to pass by your ears. That might be your starting price for a computer based system where you sit a few feet from the front speakers that are place a couple of feet apart. In a room the size of any average bedroom $300-400 is about what most if us would suggest you spend just for the receiver. Another $300-400 for the speakers and another for the sub and you'd have a beginning system that can do what you ask.
Given the lack of replies to your post I would say most of us don't have anything to suggest in your price range.

Why not go down to a shop and give a listen to what they have to offer? If you have a better audio store than BestBuy, try them first. And forget most of what you know about car audio - it has rules that do not apply to home systems.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 243
I don't think there is any local audio store where I live by so I'd have to go to best buy, frys, walmart, etc.

Could you list a couple brands to look for and brands not to look for?

The thing that really kills me is that I don't need a htib with a DVD player. I need one with a reciver so I can hook my xbox up too it.

Can I also get some basic pointers?

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 244
And I don't NEED the bullet passing effect, just would have been neat.

Silver Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 120
I'd go with one of the Onkyo packages. The speakers aren't great, but it will give you a real receiver to build on later at least.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_315950/Surround-Sound-Systems.html?tp=6419&nvpair=F FBrand|Onkyo

I think that's about the best you're going to be able to do given your budget.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 245
Do you think the speakers could manage to play the movie transformers loud as sheet?

I like everything loud and I'd hate to buy the speakers and haVe em blow.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 246
I apologize or being a noon about this with the questions, I'm just trying to show you where I'm conning from with the type of stuff I watch/play.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 247
My dad has just brought to my attention that he has an ONKYO TX-SV70PRO

What speakers should I buy for it?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11373
You can blow up anything playing it too loud Domenico. Nothing in your price range is going to make the sheets blow in the wind..sorry. Both Hsu and SV used to make small packages that made considerable noise but at a higher cost that what you are looking to pay...I think perhaps Outlaw does as well...check their websites. Other than those I would recommend you do as Jan suggested and go out and listen.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14208

If you are limited to Best Buy and Fry's for audio - WalMart does not carry audio, just boxes pretending to be audio - and you want everything loud, tell the salesperson that's the most important thing to you. You want speakers with a high sensitivity - though most Best Buy and Fry's salespeople will understand if you tell them you want highly efficient speakers. They should take you to some Klipsch, possibly a JBL or Infinity any of which will play louder than anything else in your price range. If you can't afford the speakers I mentioned, then just keep asking for the most efficient speakers they sell in your price range. I would begin with just two front speakers (and possibly a center speaker) and add the rears when your budget has grown. Ask the salesperson to explain how to set up the receiver for however many speakers you buy at the time. Do this on a weekday afternoon and not a busy Saturday or Sunday.

$300-400 just isn't that much for decent home speakers. But, if you sacrifice the efficiency of the speakers, you risk blowing up anything that doesn't play as loud with equal wattage. You'll need to decide whether you want loud or not and whether you're willing to pay for it. Don't waste your money on BS speakers with a crappy subwoofer that doesn't play worth a sh!t. You will only blow this stuff up by trying to play too loud. Either decide to raise your budget or decide to not play everything loud.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us