Car/home 10"subs

Username: Xelif

Post Number: 1
Hi Im adding a new sub to my home theater system but only for low end frequencies and to give feeling and rumble. i have tried both car and home speakers and when I put the volume up quite loud to get the feeling i want both tend to distort and make there own noises other than that which is being sent in through the signal cord. does any one know how i can get the effect i want? thnaks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14196

Buy a good home theater subwoofer. Pay a lot of money if you want high quality and the ability to "put the volume up quite loud to get the feeling i want".

There are no shortcuts. You get what you pay for.

You might consider two or more subs if the room can support that much deep bass response. You'll add approximately 6dB of SPL with a second sub.

Or, if you haven't already done so, you might want to read up on how to properly place your listening position and the sub in the room and gain better response with something as simple and as cheap as placement.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14198

As a final step you should look into room treatments to smooth out and extend bass response and minimize frequency response errrors due to room issues. Adding a few bass traps and some room devices which correct for reflections, echoes and overall room response can actually increase both the level and the quality of bass response and you won't be turning the vc as high to get the feeling of bass power.

Username: Xelif

Post Number: 2
I did purchase a Wharfedale 10inch sub woofer but it didnt give any feeling and it was on full volume. it sounded great with music but when i hooked it up to a movie it changed quite a bit. Im not sure if this counts as audio but i found a small device from a few years ago that has a mass of steel instead of a cone and this apparently works as a subsonic shaker does any one know of these in greater detail and if they might be an option?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14202

There is no "greater detail" regarding shakers, they are what they are. If you want your @ss to shake to thermonuclear explosions in GammaGamma III sector, then they are what you should buy. Good low frequency reproduction sounds more reasonable to me but far more expensive.

You get what you pay for.

Username: Subwoofer1000

Eugene, Oregon United States

Post Number: 6
You dont have to pay allot. Bolt that bass shaker to your chair and put the wattage to it.
Your sub box should be port facing rear against wall in front of you. I use a $40 12 inch 1600w Lanzar vibe car sub in a 29Hz enclosure I built for $35 and it gets louder than loud needs to be! I use a vintage Kenwood KAR 160w 2/4 channel reciver. and 2 Dual TS illuminite 140w 4 way 6.5's in custom built enclosure. paint it all black then clear, then clear again. really if you want bass responce into your room and have to pay money... you can go to any car audio shop, and they will build you a 29Hz box to your liking. Very recommended
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us