Infinity Rear / Suround Speakers

Username: Shermanez

West Jordan, UT United States

Post Number: 1
Hi All, I'm replacing my old home theater system and have run into a couple of questions.

For my budget, I have decided on the Infinity Primus P362 fronts and PC350 center. Will the P152's work well as rears or should I be looking at something else for Infinity rears ?
Also, I am trying to decide on one of the below receivers for these Infinity speakers. This will be a 5.1 system used 90% for movies and 10% music (rock).
Onkyo TX-SR706
Denon AVR-2310CI
Pioneer Elite VSX-23THX

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11301
The 152's or 162's will work perfect. The Onkyo's are highly regarded on this board. I'm not a big fan of the Denon's.

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1386
I am not a big fan of Pioneer in terms of their sound. They are usually feature packed though so that makes up a a little bit for me.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Art. I haven't made the purchase yet, however I can get the pair of P362 fronts, PC350 center and a pair of P152's for $737 total shipped.
Do you agree that this is the best bang for my buck without spending at least twice this $ amount ?

Any additional input on my 3 receiver choices would be appreciated.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Christopher. What would you recommend out of the Onkyo TX-SR706 and the Denon AVR-2310CI, when being matched with these Infinity speakers ?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11306
No, I really don't agree. I used to would've but I would rather have Wharfedale than the Infinity Primus in my HT.

A set of Wharfedale Diamond 9.4's and 2 pair of Diamond 9.1's will set you back $800 from STO Sound & Vision and you can use one of the 9.1's from the second set as a center channel...it'll sound much better than the Infinity IMO...and I used to own the Primus speakers in my HT.

Post Number: 4
Yes, I was looking into the Wharfedale's after reading up on this forum this past week, however I thought I would have to go with the Diamond 9.6's to be comperable to the Infinity P362's.
I was also considering Monitor Audio RS6's and Paradigm Reference Monitor 7's, however it has been difficult to find online sources to purchase these makes/models for any less than their original retail price, which is twice the price of the Infinity P362's. Please let me know where I might find these at a discount. I can pay up to $1,000 for the fronts, center and rears if they are that much better than the Infinity P362/PC350/P152 setup.

Thanks.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11307
If you can find a full Diamond series with 9.6's for the front for a grand, go for it.

Monitor audio RS6's are in another class altogether but you'll not realize the full potential with an AVR. You also won't get a full HT speaker package with RS6's for a $1000.

The Infinities are outclassed for sound quality by both of the above and as stated the MA's are in a league above the others for a price that's higher as well.

Post Number: 5
Who sells the MA - RS6's ? I cannot find one source for these online. Also, who sells Wharfedale online, besides wildwestelectronics.com at retail price...?
I am interested in these options, but am having a hard time finding places to compare and purchase.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11311
I'm not sure there is a place to buy MA's online. As far as Wharfedale goes, I told you where...STO Sound & Vision. They have limited models at discount prices.

Post Number: 8
Okay Art. I took your advise and spent the past few days looking further into the Wharfedale's and MA RS6's before jumping into the Infinity Primus's.
I cannot find anywhere online or locally that sells MA's, so that has narrowed my decision to the Whafedale Diamond's vs. Infinity Primus. The MA's may be out of this price range anyway if I were to find somewhere to buy them...
I found that wildwestelectronics.com has discounted all of their Wharedale speakers this weekend, which has narrowed the price gap between them and the Infinity's, which has made my decision a little harder. Below are the best current prices that I have found for the Wharfdales and Infinity's.
I'm sure that Art will say to jump on the Wharfedales, but I would like to hear some other opinions as well. These seem to be the best two options out there for under $1K total, however this may just come down to whether I want to spend the extra $273 for the better product... not whether one is better than the other. (Unfortunately I cannot audition either, as I have not found any local dealer that sells either, so I am relying on good advise and reviews, which is what sold me on the Athena's that I have been impressed with for the $).

(Prices are either with shipping cost or free shipping)

Wharfedale Diamonds

9.5 Fronts - $566.10 (pair)
9.CS Center - $179.99
9.1 Rears - $242.99 (pair)

Infinity Primus

P362 Fronts - $379.80 (pair)
PC350 Center - $179.00
P152 Rears - $156.97 (pair)

Total: $715.77

By the way, I am replacing an existing Athena 5.1 system that includes the AS-F2.2's and matching center and rears, which actually sounds pretty good with my Onkyo TX-SR805. However, I think that these two options would be a good upgrade for not much more money than what I can sell my Athena's for.

I appreciate any advise or constructive critisism.

Thanks!

Post Number: 9
Okay. Decision's have been made and purchases are in place. I will be receiving the following equipment next week.
Let me know if you think I made the right choices and I will do the same after some time with it.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR806
Front Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 9.5's
Center Speaker: Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS
Rear Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's

Total Cost: $1,598.84 (thanks to a great deal on a refurb TX-SR806 and a black Friday weekend sale at wildwestelectronics on all the Wharf's)

I will see how my old sub sounds with this setup and then decide if and when to upgrade the sub. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11375
Congrats, hope you enjoy it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us