Bass of B&W 685?

Username: Katmai

Post Number: 1
What do you think about B&W 685's bass?Is it strong or light?

I am planning to buy the 600 series,but until I buy the remaining compenents of 600 series,I will use 685s as stereo(for months).Please don't recommend other speakers cause for now I just want to know more about B&W 685 only.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 394
Most comments I have read online say that the 685 has plenty of bass. Some think it's a little too boomy. I heard it one time for a few minutes at a dealer and thought it sounded pretty good. The bass didn't strike me as being too boomy but then again I didn't listen for long.

I would think, as far as 6.5 inch bookshelf speakers go, that the 685 would match up in the bass department pretty well against it's competition. Of course, (the usual caveat) the only way to know for certain if it's enough for you is for you to hear it yourself.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your comment

Post Number: 5
Do 685s have soft or sharper sound?Can I listen to pop/techno/rock/jazz with them?

I have a Sennheiser Pc 35 headphone,I really don't like it's sound.I am not sure what characteristics does it have but I just know that I liked my previous a lot cheaper Philips headphone much more.If I could learn it's characteristics I might understand that I may like 685s or not.I would love to listen to them before I buy,but there's nowhere where I can have a demo listening B&Ws in my city.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 732
What can you listen to in your city ?

Post Number: 6
I am not sure,I have only seen one Hi-Fi shop in my city,and I looked for if B&W is written on the signboard,but unfortunately it's name was not written.
Maybe there are other hi-fi shops but I have not seen them yet,maybe I should ask to the distributor.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 733
Yes, and I would suggest you go into the hi-fi shop you have seen and listen to what they have even if it is not B&W. What could possibly go wrong ?

Post Number: 7
Do 685s have soft or sharper sound?Can I listen to pop/techno/rock/jazz with them?

I heard that they sound "tame",is it true?I want sound which sometimes can "deploy/shake the environment" "rock my world".

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11263
You are asking folks to answer a question that they can't answer, Jack. How would we possibly know what will rock your world? How are we to know if the speakers in question will satisfy you for the music you listen to? We don't know enough about your expectations to have any idea what will rock you world. You can listen to the music of your choice on any speaker, whether it will satisfy YOU or not we can't know.

Post Number: 8
Thanks for your answer.Seems like you are right:-) After I saw a post in a forum which says something like "my speaker should rock my world" I thought this is something which I want too,I want aggressive sound(but I am not so sure I think I should first listen to a that type of speaker like you people say but I wonder if there is any hifi shop in my city,the one I saw was selling Pioneer only if I remember true),I decided to ask a question in this forum.

If some of you have listened Focal Chorus 706 V,and they can compare it with B&W 685 I would be glad.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 637
Jack,
w/user name 'Katmai' you could live in Alaska!
Check manufacturers website and look for 'dealer locator'. This should help you find if anything you would be interested in is available near enough for a visit / audition.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13937
JD, I have heard both.
Neither rock like a bigger speaker for me, but for punch and drive, I liked the Focal with a Pioneer receiver, over the 685 with an Onkyo.

Its apples to orangutans, but the Bowers also had a very sweet mid.

Do not be tempted to move up the Bowers, the bass is fat and slow there.

Post Number: 9
Thanks for your answers.

Nuck I read that Onkyos are "bass crippled" but I don't know personally.

I looked at the "dealer locator" section of B&W website a moment ago,but I couldn't find my city in the list of my country's section,unfortunately.

Post Number: 10
B&W is the brand in my dreams,but if it's sound is too controlled,I don't think that I can like it.

I read a review of Chorus 706V and Chorus 726V today, seems like they are more aggressive than B&Ws.

My heart says B&W,my logic says Focal.

Bronze Member
Username: Superc468

Post Number: 11
Listen to your ears.....

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13942
jd, the B&W's are the most widely distributed speakers in the world.
Somebody nearby must have them, short of a bigboxshithouse.

Extended, the Bowers work much differently with higher quality stuff than a receiver.
stands are a critical part of the deal, thus allowing for easier placement, placement, placement.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks for your answers

"Superc468
Listen to your ears....."

I liked this,but seems like not possible cause I don't think that I can find either of them in my city.

I am going to buy some other speakers from the series in the future and use them as surround.
So I've decided B&W(I will buy 685 firsty) between B&W and Focal because I've read an expert review in which it is written that frequencies under 60hz with Focal 726v lack weight and are not well defined.Bass is important for me, although I will buy a subwoofer,I still want floorstanders to be able to give good bass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us