Stereotech 1200

Username: Maty

Bakersfield, Ca USA

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone, I found myself on this site and I Dig It! Informative and amusing, what a combo!
I just picked up a stereotech receiver at a yard sale and now that the divorce is final......I want to put together a modest system for my game room that used to be called the garage. I need some speakers that would be a good fit for this unit. I read that it had 50w at 8 ohm and 30w at 6 ohm. I would also like to use all of the features like the pre-amp, phono and tape if possible. I'm not audio savvy by any means but I like a full sound rather than a high treble dominant sound. I like the vocals most and would want that sound out in front of the rest. I am a good listener to sound advice and I don't waste time being indecisive. I am excited and ready to get started

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13903
Hi Matt, and welcome.
Do you have a link to your receiver?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11172
http://saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/ST1200.pdf

Is this the receiver?

Bakersfield, Ca USA

Post Number: 2
Yes it is.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 628
Cool, I hope it sounds great. And a great retro look.

How well regarded was the original Mac?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11178
Pretty much any speaker but the least efficient ones will do...you can choose what you like.

Bakersfield, Ca USA

Post Number: 3
yeah, It sounds pretty darn good. The loudness button really makes a difference in the sound. I'm getting a real nice/full sound in spite of the cheap sherwood speakers that I picked up at the goodwill today. took off the walnut casing and wiped it down with some oil soap/conditioner. Before I could put the bottle away, it had absorbed the oils into the wood (this little baby was parched). It had a few knobs that were scratchy, so I cleaned the pots with some Radio Shack "Cleaner and Lubricant" and so far, that seemed to do the trick.
I also picked up a Sony Cassette player (tc-k679-es) and to complete a wonderful day, A good friend gave me a set of Energy speakers (e=xl-28p) in mint condition and an energy center speaker (exl-cl). I forgot one thing, I also have an Energy sub (e-xl-s8) that run with the "take 5's

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11179
Enjoy your new gear! Put on some music and bask in the newfound sound!

Bakersfield, Ca USA

Post Number: 4
Not sure how to hook up speakers. They have two sets of terminals in the back. Read a few things online, but haven't grasped it fully. Should I be running two amplifiers to the same speaker (different terminals) or running speaker wire in a specific way? I also want to be able to record some live guitar playing. Would it make sense to record on cassette or reel-to-reel or just buy a cd/dvd recorder? Obviously I want the end result to be cd/dvd but would it be more economical to transfer after I used all the toys? Lastly, do you know a good site for me to learn about OHMS?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13914
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/loudspeaker-power-handli ng

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13915
MD, your speaker connection are for one pair of speakers at a time, with 2 sets available. Do not run both at the same time with any kind of volume.

Bakersfield, Ca USA

Post Number: 5
so do i hook up the speakers up like they were really 4? I read that the woofers in the speakers were actually powered subs. can I hook them up like I would a sub? and if each speaker has a sub do I need the sub I run now?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13923
If there were powered componants or active crossovers, the speakers would plug into the wall as well.

Where are you reading such?

Bakersfield, Ca USA

Post Number: 6
the speakers do plug into the wall. I got all my info from a review of the energy speakers that i will be using. I also have been reading up on how to bi-wire and bi-amp but i feel I'm missing something. Would I be running A channel left to top terminal on speaker A and then B channel left on lower terminal speaker A. B channel and speaker B would be the same?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us