Krell Phono Stage

Username: Vermontster

Post Number: 6
My preamp is a Krell KRC-HR with an inboard phono stage. When I hook up any turntable to the phono section it sounds very faint, lifeless, there is no treble and it makes my woofers pulsate violently.

I've taken the cover off of the preamp, no burnt smells. The board will accommodate MM and MC carts, mine is a MM. I've tried the dip switches in every possible position. Any suggestions?

In the meantime I'm using a Bellari VP-130 with a gold Tung Sol tube via line level input. It sounds great.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13887
VM, route the phono into the tape, it is a shoter path.
have you contacted Krell?
Some switch somewhere...

Nice backup! I am not sure of the Krell reputation for phono?

Post Number: 7
Thank you Nuck, I'll route it through the tape. In a nutshell how is it a shorter signal path?

I have not contacted Krell, may have to. One time Tara Labs fixed one of my cables for free. Is this common practice in the industrie?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3554
According to a few dealers (and a dealer who dropped the line) Krell has been a very good company to deal with in the past.

Not sure about currently. I read somewhere that they may be out of business. Something about being evicted from their factory for non-payment of their lease.

Post Number: 8
Ha ha ! Problem solved, the impedence on my cart was 47K not 47. Man, do I feel like a dip switch. ( a happy one)

Still getting some woofer movement from external vibrations but not nearly as bad. I suspect these will deminish once my turntable shelf has been constructed.

The preference of the sound of option A or option B will be some fun critacal listening time on my next day off.

Thank you Everyone

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13901
VM, you said that you triple checked!

What have you considered for mounting the table?

Vermont

Post Number: 9
"It's not easy being green."

I'm still in the gathering information stage for building a sand filled shelf.

IMO the Bellari sounds more musical, involving and warmer with each instrument having more of it's own space in the soundstage.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13916
Bellari make some good pieces for not much money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us