Live versus Speaker Challenge

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 721
I thought this was an interesting segment. Inexpensive speaker vs very expensive speaker vs a live performer.

http://fwd.five.tv/gadgets/audio-video/hi-fi/hi-fi-systems-and-speakers/mordaunt -short-mezzo-2

Click on the first gadget show icon below the picture of the speakers. You have to sit through a couple of ads. I've heard the Mezzo 2 speakers and they are very nice speakers. The tweeter design particularly is very interesting.

http://www.mordauntshort.com/assets/documents/ms-brochures/Mezzo%20UK.pdf

Scroll down to page 6 and you'll see a close-up picture of the tweeter.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 583
Very interesting test. I don't know what it PROVES, however, since I don't know and have never been in a listening area of theater proportions or magnitude.

That the KEF's were compared so closely with the Mordaunt of a small fraction of the price indicates that hi end sound is more and more attainable. While I was told and accept that the Original Advent was ... flawed... in several significant ways, the goal of producing hi-end sound as nearly as possible for a fraction the price seems nearly attainable with todays technology.

I'd like to hear these! not that my panels are in any danger of replacement.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13822
Interesting.

I do not know how involved these folks are in listening, but the session seems pretty straightforward to me.

I would like to have a go at those Kef's meself...

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 722
I'm not sure what it proves either Leo, and there were some limitations to the tests of course. But, I think it does demonstrate how close the affordable speakers can come to the ultra high end ones. Just a little clever engineering can go a long way. And, how difficult it can be for the human ear and brain to determine the subtle nuances that make up the difference. I think the two folks involved in the experiment did a very nice job of aligning what they heard to what they knew to be in front of them. That's tricky to do.

Spend wisely.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13826
The 'test' was pretty decisive, I thought, as the listeners approved of the big Kef's pretty quickly.

The source material was not bass heavy, thus dislodging the bigger cab variation.

The speakers were also tilted a bit, due to the venue and it's immense size, relative to the diminutive MS offering (which is a very good speaker in the right space).

Space, usage and placement are critical in any application, as we know all too well.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 724
Big KEF's is right. Holly smoke, those things are monsters. I expect Mahler's 8th would differentiate the two speakers much more decisively than acoustic guitar and singer. The dealer I frequent the most carries the MS's. I had a listen the other day and they sounded very good, especially drum work, cymbals, brushes, etc that are difficult to do right. The guy offered to let me take them home for a demo if I wanted to. I might take him up on it just to see. What didn't impress me that much was the midrange....it was ok, but seemed leaner than I prefer. But that could just be the gear and location. They weren't setup ideally.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 588
I would like to see this repeated.
Using different conditions, however.

A more normal size / shape room and using a Piano, since it has a wide frequency range. Maybe a Bosendorf Imperial Grand?

The idea of this test / comparison intrigues me since I am a big bang 4 buck guy since I don't have deep pockets and must leverage what I DO have to spend.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13835

Leo, a 'normal' sized room with a Grand?!?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 3038
This was great! thanks.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 589
Yes, Nuck. As a matter of fact, why not?
Tear out a wall. Move in Piano.

Run test. Tear out wall, remove piano.
Rebuild wall.

What could be easier?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13842
Who are you, my EX???

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13843
I like the piano better upstairs, Honey.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us