Issues with "ghosting" on an SL-B2

Username: Art_vandelay

Post Number: 1
Hello All,

I have been experiencing an issue with my Technics SL-B2 for some time now. While playing my records, the sound will regularly "ghost out." When this happens, the record is still spinning, but the clarity of the sound goes completely out the window. The song itself will become really quiet, while the amount static and distortion layered on top becomes pronounced.

I'm convinced it is an issue with the tonearm as when this happens I can usually fiddle with the tonearm a bit (pick it up a little, press it down a little) and get the sound back to normal - as if the stylus just wasn't finding the right part of the groove. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to last long.

This happens on everything from brand new 180g vinyl to flimsy old garage sale finds. My stylus is new (2 months old, tops) and my tonearm is balanced and the counterweight properly dialed in...does anyone have any suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14143

Sounds like an oxidized connection somewhere in the arm leads. Where? no way to tell. Take it in for servicing.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us