Help with Yamaha Receiver

Username: Mfisa

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have a Yamaha RX-V461 Receiver and I currently have a DVD player attached with success. I recently purchased a LCD TV and I have failed to be able to connect it to my receiver. I followed the direction provided with the receiver and had no success. I have a Sylvania Model # LC320SS9 with the following jack open for usage:

Area 1
Digital Audio Out (Coaxial) (Yellow) = One Jack Alone

Area 2
Video 1 = 4 Jacks
1) S Video
2) Video (yellow)
3) Left Audio (red)
4) Right Audio (white)

Area 3
Video 2
Same as above

Area 3
Component 1 = 5 Jacks
1)Y
2)Pb
3)Py
4)L Audio
5)R Audio

Area 5
Component 2 = 5 Jacks
Same as above

The Yamaha receiver has ton of jacks to many to list
A would really appreciate any help you can possibly give. Thank you for you time

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14119

If the receiver has a digital input that's open, run from the TV's coax digital out to the receiver. Go to the TV's set up menu and switch on the digital out. Do the same for the receiver's digital in if needed.

Otherwise, your question is really quite broad for a forum since every TV and every receiver can have their peculiarites. Try calling the retailer where you purchased either the TV or the receiver for some after the sale service. They should know their product better than anyone else. If this isn't in your scheme, call a local HT installer and they will do the job for you at a basic fee.

However, if you get in the set up menu and switch on outputs and inputs, you'll normally have success with this installation.

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

New York

Post Number: 1269
not exactly sure what your question is but your setup should look like this.
For your dvd player - Audio out is thru digital coxial cable from DVD to Yamaha receiver. Then you will have component Video cables from dvd to TV...lets say component 1. If you want, you can also connect video from DVD to the Yamaha in the video port that corresponds your coxial input (Example: Coxial audio input is labeled DVD....Then you will look for component video input labeled DVD). Once you connect those, you will need to run a component cable OUT from your Yamaha to IN of your TV (lets say component 1). Set you TV to Component 1 ans swith your Yamaha to DVD... and that should work.

I dont think your DVD player would have a TOSLINK output (although it may)...so thats why I am am using digital coaxial for an example.

Again, I'm not too sure what your asking....you may want to be a little more detailed.

Username: Ecortez

Post Number: 1
Hi, I got my new Yamaha A/V receiver HYR6230 Speaker System. 1 HDMI out and 2 HDMI in. I had bought also a Samsung 40" LCD with 4 HDMI in. I only use direct cable TV. I want the sound from the tv to come out to the receiver. I bought an HDMI cable and connected it from receiver's HDMI out and to tv's HDMI in . I set the source from my receiver to TV viewing (input source DTV/CBL) but still i don't get the sound from the receiver. Do I need to buy an optical cable to connect the tv and the receiver? What about the HDMI that I connected? Any help would be appreciated

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 971
Greetings Erwin,

The best solution for your situation would be to get a cable box so that you can truly enjoy that new TV and sound equipment but in the mean time yes, you will need an optical cable from the back of your TV to the receiver.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14362

As stated above, you normally must switch on specific outputs/inputs when adding HDMI or optical cables. Try the set up menu of the TV and the receiver and see if that doesn't resolve the issue.

Username: Ecortez

Post Number: 2
Hi again, thanks for your reply. once I connect the optical cable from my Tv to receiver, do I need to change the set up of the TV or the receiver? Any idea how much an optical cable costs?

And if the optical cable works, would I get a 5.1 Ch surround sound or the 2 Front speakers only?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14370

I bet all that information can be found in your owner's manual other than how much a cable costs. You can find that information with any good search engine.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us