Sound and Vision event..

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 817
Well, yesterday I took the train down to a city hosting a big sound and vision event in a hotel, covering four floors. It was rather fun!

The most impressive system I heard wasn't the most expensive, although the limited time I had doesnt make my findings the be and end all.

A ProAc and Primare system was the most impressive system to me though, it was such a brilliant match and all types of music seemed to portray convincingly. The speakers were the Studio 140 mk2 and I'm unsure about the exact equipment names.

Joint second favourite was Focal chorus 826w 30th anniversary speakers. I can't actually remember what seperates were used but the detail and drive was very alive.

Joint Second favourite was electrocompaniets aw400 monoblock system with their own prelude loudspeakers. This had a very smooth and seductive sound with the best seperation.

Thirdly, Audionote was a mighty impressive act, with their type E speakers and I believe their own equipment too. Instruments and voices sounded so big and defined with Hugh Masekela playing.

Finally, dyanaudio excite x32 deserve their name, they certainly were exciting.

Seriously, choosing out of these would be very difficult for me, I'd have to have done some more critical listening with my own cds.

Two really expensive speakers stood out to me, the Art Deco 15/20(can't remember) and a Opera speakers/Unison/Pathos!? tube amp combination. Both the sort of thing I would never willingly spend that kind of money on but its nice to finally hear such high end equipment.

For small speakers, the Roksan Kandy K2 speakers/seperates was very punchy and detailed, but needed a good clearance from walls.

NAIM had some HUGE speakers there with about 10 seperates. Easily worth £50k. NAIM was a pretty grand presentation but the sound wasn't for me! This was confirmed when I heard the Allae.

Having said all that, i got back home and my Merlin Mozart interconnect had arrived. Coincidentally I found out that day that it'd had won whathifi's best interconnect 2009 award and its very easy to see why - its changed my system to something much better on all accounts.
On that note, as a KEF owner, the KEF XQ 5.1 surround system, with a Sony HD projector and an Onkyo reciever was extremely impressive. They were being driven by Bryston I believe unless this was for another system but I definately saw Bryston seperates in the same room!

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10940
Nice report JJ. I'd like to have heard that Audionote system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us