Old BA A60s vs. Polk Monitor 30

Username: Gbailey

Nashville, Tennessee United States

Post Number: 1
I have an old pair of Boston Acoustic A60s in my bedroom and just picked up some Polk Monitor 30s. I am going to set up a stereo in my garage. Need some advice: semi-retire the A60s to the garage and put the Polks in the bedroom or just use the Monitor 30s in the garage?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14083

I'd say keep the Boston's your main bedroom speaker but listen and decide. Or go listen to some new stuff at a decent dealer. Things have progressed in the last 28 years.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13744
How cold does it get in the garage?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14093

What? are you thinking of lighting a pair on fire? Fake walnut grained vinyl clad cabinets smell bad when they burn.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13746
I would keep neither pair in a frigid garage and expect them to play, or last long.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14094

Why? GB lives in Tennessee not the Arctic Preserve.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 702
Dudes from Nashville, not Winnipeg.

Username: Gbailey

Nashville, Tennessee United States

Post Number: 2
All quips aside, the garage is heated, but the temperature probably drops into the 50s///60s in the coldest winter weather.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14095

Last I heard speakers still work in Winnipeg.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 704
They wouldn't sound their best in an unheated garage in January at around -30C or so. Or looking at it more positively, perhaps it's the poor mans cryo treatment.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13750
Ummm...the cabs suffer from big changes in temp and humidity.
Put the ones you don't care about in the humid garage.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14096

Nah, MDF is temp and humidity stable, that's why it's ubiquitous in cheap furniture and cabinets. Unless it gets wet - like sitting in a pool of water wet, it doesn't matter about any environmental changes. The stuff doesn't warp or change dimensions. I've got MDF in my garage that has sat there for years and is still spot on for dimensions and is as straight as the day I bought it.

Why do you think they use this stuff for cabinets in the first place? It's mostly glue!

And since it's mostly set up glue with wood chips embedded in it it's dimensionally stable. Any piece is the same as any other piece no matter the conditions. Put it in a jig and it's the same as the last 100 pieces and the same as the next 100 pieces.

If you don't care about beautiful wood grain, this stuff is perfect. This and waferboard but waferboard makes lousy speaker cabinets. Neither will hold a screw without some additional socket added but plywood, which you can screw directly into, suffers from dimensional instability to some degree and can warp slightly if exposed to high humidity for long periods, but Paul Klipsch liked it for holding screws without clamps. Made speaker assembly real easy and real cheap.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us