Need help deciding between receivers

Username: ok

Post Number: 1
There are three models of receivers that I am considering buying used. They are all being sold for $50. Which one would offer me the best bang for my buck?
Kenwood VR-406
Technics SA-GX330
STR-DE598

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14066

How much are you expecting for $50?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 547
For 150$, I'd buy all 3, test and keep the 'winner'.

If they are all being sold by the same person, you may be able to swing a 3-fer and than sell the losers from your in-room shoot out and still end up spending 50$ or less!
win-win

Post Number: 2
My expectations are minimal. I just need to power two really old Saba 9" (5 ohm) oval speakers and I'm getting a powered sub. I just plan on using it for a year since I'm moving. I'm looking for something really cheap and half-decent.

also: if you have any tips on what i should specifically look for in receiver and matching it up with my speaker set-up, it would be greatly appreciated. (I'm a newb)

Post Number: 3
plus I don't know the wattage of my speakers

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13699
You will have to look at each receiver and see which one is rated for the lowest impedence.
5 ohm speakers will be hard on a receiver.

Ignore the wattage.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14068

Best advice, buy all three and just swap them out as they blow up. For $50 there is no one better than the others for your application.

Sorry, that's the answer in this case, particularly for someone with a username "overkill".

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 2979
Dig a little deeper & get something with a warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4105-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B0002EPWC0

If you also might be able find a coupon code for Electronics Expo.

Post Number: 4
So basically, if I connect any 8 ohm (which I assume is the standard) receiver to my speakers the receiver is screwed no matter what?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13713
If you use 8ohm speakers, the choice of receiver is easier. The 5ohm speakers previously stated will be very hard on a receiver.
More ohms=more easier to run. (for this discussion)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2980
Do you mind if I ask what your using this for?
What are your expectations?
Is $50 your total budget?
Are you married to those Saba speakers, because as Nuck said, a 5-ohm load on any entry level amp/receiver is asking for trouble.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13716
I recall some Saba speakers as using 6X9 bass drivers...hmmm....

Post Number: 5
Thanks for all the really helpful input so far.
Okay, my budget is around $175 (but that's for a receiver, a subwoofer and a cd player). I have a pair of Saba 6x9 woofers (with tweeters) in some rudimentary enclosures. I am impressed with the sound and therefore would like to use them. I know that nowadays they sell for something like $150 on ebay. It said 5 ohms on the woofer when I looked inside the case - would the tweeter inside affect the impedance?
To explain what I meant by "my expectations are minimal", I am going off of logitech z-540 computer speakers, so... it shouldn't be hard to beat that! I only plan on using the system for ca. 9 months because I am off to Europe after that. I have been looking through local ads on Kijiji.com and I have seen some pretty cheap receivers. The speakers are going to go into a medium sized room and I don't plan on blasting them (or at least not often). So, if the receiver lasts me half a year, perfect! (even though I have read that an efficient receiver with proper ventilation should survive low impedance speakers?).
A little off topic, but I also want to add a little powered sub to the collection. I saw an 8" 70 watt one for $40, that should compliment the speakers a little right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2987
With a 5-ohm load, asking most second-hand entry-level receiver to last 9-months, even at moderate listening levels not to spark-up is asking a lot.

The aforementioned Sherwood RX-4105 has its fans, but I can't determine if it's 5-ohm stable, but it does come with a warranty, but who wants to roll the dice and deal with that?

If you're committed to the Sabas (and it looks like you are), I'd skip the sub and throw my whole budget into a better receiver. $170 can buy you something very respectable. I'd hunt for an older NAD or pick off a HK auction for a new refurb. 3380, 3385, or 3390.

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/Home-Audio-/14969/i.html?Type=Stereo Receivers%2520%25282%252DChannel%2529&Brand=Harman Kardon Marantz%7CNAD%7CDenon Kenwood%7COnkyo%7CPioneer%7CRotel%7CSansui Yamaha&LH_Price=0..170%40c&_nkw=stereo receiver&_catref=1&_dmpt=Receivers_Tuners&_fln=1&_ipg=&_mPrRngCbx=1 &_sc= 1&_sop=15&_ssov=1

Post Number: 6
okay problem solved. The guy I bought the sub and cd player from also had a 4/8 ohm 5.1 sony receiver for sale. I got them all for 158 bucks- I have to say I'm happy that I could keep the Sabas and all in all i'm quite content with the system. Thanks for all the help

Gold Member

Post Number: 3012
Congrats & enjoy!

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 559
today it's 158$.
Tomorrow it's 1580$

This can be an expensive 'bug' to catch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us