Totem Arro amplification - again

Username: Imlek

Post Number: 1
I saw there have been some discussions about amps for Arro, but it was long time ago so i decided to open new thread to ask for advices.
I am happy owner of Arro speakers, right now i have it plugged to NAD C350. I am not happy how it sounds, it should be 60w, but it seams like it is not strong enough, when i turn up volume on amp, it doesnt respond right, it does give higher volume, but it seams its like more noise not music, it becomes more and more muddy. I cant explain right but nvm, regarding internet reviews of arro, i dont think its them, i think its NAD who is bad in this setup.
So i need new amp, and this is what i can buy here where i live. I will sort by price:

Exposure 2010s ( my point of interest now, cause its most cheap, and some say its in rang of Naim )
Synthesis Magnum 100
Arcam A28
Naim Nait 5i
Unison Unico Primo ( more expensive then all, i would buy this without thiniking, but i am not sure if i can get that much money )

So , please write your toughts, what u think , would exposure or synthesis be good enough for arro?

Thx.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13682
I heard Arro's with an arcam AVR350 receiver and approved!
cdp don't recall, might have been an FMJ

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10831
For the Arro's I think I would prefer the Naim or the Arcam. The Exposure 2010s is over rated IMO and the Unison is a great amp, it may be good with Arro's but I'm not sure. Never heard the Synthesis Magnum, in fact never heard of it until now.

Post Number: 2
I was afraid u wouldnt like Exposure, would save me some money, 200e cheaper then Naim, but still if it turns out exposure is not good for arros then all money would be wasted.
Guess safest bet is to go for Naim? Arcam is same price here, maybe 30e cheaper, but thats not much diference. Some people like arcam with arros, just its that is for older versions, havent seen any comments on sinergy with FMJ line.

Well ill just have to wait for some discount for Naim, and go for them, most safe since many people like it. Or even better some Unico discount, if i add speaker cable for naim its getting 1050e. Last month they had Unico P on sale, 900e i think, but i read somere its not powerful enough for arro. Bah who knows, anyway i just cant wait to get rid of this nad.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10834
I think you're right that the Naim may be the safest bet. Waiting for others to chime in.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3518
I haven't heard the Exposure, but some people love it. It wouldn't hurt to track down a dealer if possible.

I've heard Arros with Arcams in the past and they were a very good match. I've heard the FMJs but not with Arros. I'm pretty sure it would be better, seeing as how the FMJs are better yet not much different from a sonic signature stand point.

I love the Nait/Arro combo.

Some others to consider that sound very good with Arros are Bryston and SimAudio. They're more expensive, but can be found second hand for good prices. Bryston's warranty is 20 years and transferrable. Sim's is 10 years, and may be transferrable.

Post Number: 3
I can demo arcam and exposure but i bet arcam would be winner there, and i cant demo Nait with my speakers, and since they are same price i just think its safe bet to go for Nait, since many of u people love it so much.
Guess nobody heard exposure and arcam with arros, and since i am not experienced listener, i cant judge amp quality listening in different rooms, or worse with diferent speakers. So i must listen to your advices.
I love Unico very much, wouldnt ask here if i had money for them, but who knows, some good dealer price for me to match Naim price and that would be realy nice.
So far, based on your advices i save for Naim now.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13698
Imlek, have you actually heard these stereo's?
Naim is as far removed from Arcam as sardines and ice cream.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3138
Sardines and ice cream are good together.

If you're pregnant.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10865
Please don't tell me how you know Dave....lol!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3141
lol! Past experience... not me, with my wife!

Gained 25 lbs of sympathy weight with my first one.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3520
I have heard Arcam with Arros. Just not the current series. Arcam and Totem in general have a very good synergy. I know a lot of Arcam dealers that also sell Totem.

Naim's sound isn't for everyone. Most of us here who've heard it really like it, but there's a lot of people who don't. Naim has a pretty polarizing sound IMO. People either love it or hate it. Most people respect it though.

Arcam is a lot easier to blindly recommend than Naim. Not that I'm recommending either.

Will the dealer let you bring in your speakers? If not will he/she let you take home a demo unit? If not to both, if you can demo them in the store, it'll still give you sense of what the amps will sound like.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any of the above without at least hearing them in a demo room.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10869
I would have to agree with Stu. Naim can be a bit polarizing. Certainly Arcam is easier on the ears than Naim. The most recent incarnation of the Nait is by far the smoothest and least likely to offend however as Stu has stated, without an audition it's all risk.

Post Number: 4
Yes, i can hear Arcam with my speakers, but i cant Naim, so i will not be able to compare them, thats the problem. So even if i like Arcam that will mean he is better then this NAD i have, but that wont tell me much, i will not know how that better is that good comparing to Naim or Unico.
Maybe if i ask on forum i visit here, that someone who has Naim come to me and audition him on my speakers, then i can go and listen Arcam, ill try that next.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3824
Do you intend to play very loud? Although the Nait/Arro is a very good combination, the Arros don't go loud without becoming bright and the Naim has limited power capabilities. It's very powerful, but in short bursts. So if you like to play loud it may not be for you. And don't skimp on the speaker cable. You wouldn't put remoulds on a Ferrari and still expect it to perform like a Ferrari. Buy the Naim cable.

The Arcam is a lot more powerful - ridiculously so - but I have not tried it with the Arros.

Post Number: 5
Well i dont listen to loud, maybe sometimes. So considering arro's brightness, Arcam is warmer then Naim? Then i would prefer Arcam. I will listen to Naim on weekend, maybe Arcam later, kinda bussy these days, meanwhile i am considering more and more about Unico, its more expensive, but if i buy Arcam and be unsatisfied in end... That is if i find that amount of money soon, if not ill go for Arcam or Naim, so far it turns out Arcam is more for my taste of mucis.

Username: 94cdnm3

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 1
I am currently driving my Arros with a Bryston B60 integrated and 2B-lp in biamped configuration and have been for almost 9 years with no desire to change it. The main characteristics are very good dynamics, transparency, coherence, accuracy & true to whatever components are ahead of this combo.

With regards to Imlek's comment about the Arros being bright, I think that may be due another component's sound signature coming thru. The Arros are like the Bryston combo quite transparent, accurate and neutral.
I can alter the sound characteristics of my system by changing the source component.

At one time, I had a Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 tubed output player which I tube rolled to great effect in my system to get different presentations. The Bryston & Arro combo told it like it is. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

Post Number: 6
Hello again, meanwhile i got married, so had some income, and decided to shop Unico Primo, cause if i dont get it now, i would probably never have it.
Just to say, i havent done test with either of amps mentioned i would, just didnt had time, so i cant compare it with them.
Was VERY nervous when i connected amp, how will it sound, will i even hear diference with this amp vs NAD? First song, well ok, not much diference, but then i colmed down a bit, and went with Children Of Sanchez, and WOW, that part when first time drums come in is totaly new experience after NAD, it had impact, strenght. This is what people say, its like i listen to song first time. Most important, harshness i had before is no more there, beautifull, and when i think i blamed speakers for this first... Bass is deeper, and more important, well i dont know what this NAD does with bass, but its terrible, now its much more defined. High freq. no more harsh, much more detail.
I know Primo is much more expensive then NAD, but still that much better sound i didnt expected at all. Now i know why people love Arro so much, beautifull speaker, when properly drived, now i realised that.
Ah yeah, forgot instruments separation, way way better now, thats caled imaging probably. Soundstage wider a bit , not much, and depth is not noticeble diferent, but i think thats speaker placement problem anyway.
Well thats it, got new amp, very happy with it, to bad cant compare with arcam or nait but nvm, maybe someday if i get chance to hear i will write here how it sounded. Cant listen tonight music no more, cant wait for tomorrow :-) , bye, thx to all of your advices, and sorry for not so good english.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11020
Congrats and enjoy your new amp.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3537
I'm glad its working out for you. The Arros are a very special speaker. They are deceptive in that they don't cost much (relatively speaking), but they need very good (usually very expensive) amplification to really get the most out of them.

Post Number: 7
Thx folks, very nice amp, a bit expensive then others, but i am not sorry for every cent i gave.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us