HTR-5760 - can I connect 2 central speakers at the same time??

Username: Gtommy

Post Number: 1
I've no clue how dumb this sounds...
I have a Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver with an Infinity TSS-450 speakers that is currently connected and works great.
Since I want to buy an extra 2 speakers for the Surround back L/R, I ended getting another set of TSS-450 Speakers for cheaper than getting 2 speakers separatly.

I now how 2 set of TSS-450 and I'm wondering if I can at least connect the two central speaker I have to my speaker output on my HTR-5760.
The same questions goes to my front speakers( though I might just connect them to speakers B and use them in another room).

I basically end up with an extra central speaker and an extra sub. I dont mind leaving the sub away for now till I get a 7.2 receiver, but meanwhile, can I use the extra centrak speaker I have?

Thanks all !

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13652
I would rather think not. The receiver is not going to be able to drive 2 speakers on one channel.
Likewise for the A/B mains. Both of these channels are connected to common output devices, A/B is for connectivity.
Beyond having no volume control for the 2nd set of mains, in a remote location, the receiver will likely shut down (hopefully) or overheat and go cold forever (boo).

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 538
The '5760 IS a 7.1 rcvr, isn't it?
and at 110x7, with no impedance specified, I suspect it's really good for 60 or 70 watts and certainly not below 6 ohms.

If you GOTTA try something nutty, wire your 2 center channel speakers IN SERIES and kind of face them slightly away from each other.
The impedance won't be too low, though the strain on the amp will be far greater.
If it distorts or sounds 'funny', give it up before you do a shutdown or it goes room temp.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14044

Leo's idea is a good one. Your receiver probably wouldn't care for the load of two speakers connected to the center output if you just shoved all the wires into the + and - outputs. That places the two speakers in parallel and lowers the overall impedance beneath the point where the receiver wants to operate. The same issues apply if you connect + to + and - to - on each speaker.

A series connection forms a chain from one load device to the next and combines the loads raising the overall impedance which is almost always a safer bet for any solid state amplifier.

A series connection runs the cable from the + of the receiver's (center) speaker output to the + of the first speaker. At the first speaker the signal passes from the + connector through the voice coils of the drivers and you pick it up at the - of that speaker and run from that - to the + of the second speaker. The signal passes through that speaker and you connect the - of the second speaker to the - speaker connector of your receiver. If that doesn't make sense to you, put "series loudspeaker connection" into a search engine or go ask someone at any audio shop worth going into to sketch it out on paper.

You can do the same with each channel of your front speakers but don't place the four fronts around the front wall of the room. Stack them together or side by side. Be very careful with your connections or you will wire the speakers out of relative phase to one another which will sound a bit funny on some materal. Obviously, take care that you wire the entire system in phase with itself by paying strict attention to all +'s and -'s. Just work with one channel at a time thinking of the wiring as completing the chain and follow the + to +, then - to + then - to - connection before you proceed to the next set of speakers. Make good, clean connections at all points, a single strand of wire across the terminals at any point will make your receiver unhappy and quite possibly your wallet too. Work slowly and pay attention, don't just shove stuff into where you think it should go - make certain.

You could run the additonal speakers from the B connections into another location but I wouldn't advise you run all speakers at one time, either A or B but not both together. If you want to run all the speakers at the same time, go to that good audio shop and buy a small speaker switch box with volume controls.

Well, looky there, there's a pop up ad for accessories at the bottom of this page. Aren't they nice people to think ahead like that?! Call those folks and you'll get some good advice and the switches you'll need for the job.

Do monitor the receiver's condition for the first few times you try this connection concoction. It shouldn't get any warmer with the speakers wired properly than it would with a single set. If it does, then it's saying in receiver lingo that it doesn't really like what you've done and you can either keep the volume levels down or consider a different route. Make certain the receiver has plenty of ventilation, nothing on top of it and room on all sides.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13663
The available current from the receiver will be about nill, but this will not preclude the speakers from doing their centre channel job.
I agree. For the centre channels, go series connection first.

Username: Gtommy

Post Number: 2
Really some GREAT help there guys, it's really appreciated.

I agree with putting the central speakers in series, I'm familiar with that so I should manage quiet easily. Plus the explanation is pretty straight forward, thank you!

Once I connect the central speakers in series, is there any problem if I install them 'side-by-side', forming a long central speaker on the same line? I simply want to align them so I kindo of have a longer central speaker : 2 central speakers. I guess there's no restriction to how I place them, correct?

2 satellites will be installed as Surround back L/R, and I can always use them with the 7ch stereo mode whenever listing to music.

the other 2 satellites will be installed on the 'front' speakers B and placed in my room, for music as well. But my goal was to operate them most of the time in the A+B mode, that's what I like about this receiver and I never tried this feature before (and it seems that it's now abandonned by yamaha? or the new 'zone 2' feature does the same job?)

Basically, I won't be using the front speakers in series, but rather hook them up to A and B outputs. I will look into that switch box but I didnt know that it was not 'advised' to run a and b together...

Regarding the sub, it's currently placed again a wall in a L shape... to help it resonate. isn't supposed to be placed like that, against a wall?
But I understand that basically, i dont want it to overheart.
Finally, can i also hook up my extra sub? directly to the receiver or... series again?

Thank you very much for the great input!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14048

"The available current from the receiver will be about nill ... "

Not so, no matter the load HT receivers just suck current from the wall outlet as needed. There will be just about as much current with a high impedance load as there would be into any other with this system - which is to say nada, zip, zilch.

You don't buy HT receivers if you're expecting amperage.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14049

" ... 2 central speakers. I guess there's no restriction to how I place them, correct?"

They're your speakers so, no, there's no hifi-gestapo involved but I'd do woofers out.

"2 satellites will be installed as Surround back L/R, and I can always use them with the 7ch stereo mode whenever listing to music."

Oh, yeah, music always sounds best when it's split seven different ways to Sunday.

" ... or the new 'zone 2' feature does the same job?"

I don't know this amplifier but "zone 2" normally requires a separate amplifier for those speakers.

"I will look into that switch box but I didnt know that it was not 'advised' to run a and b together... "

Somebody should have mentioned it to you but Yamaha seldoms does, they are a bit ashamed of not being able to drive low impedance loads. And, if you blow it up twice, they'll tell you to buy another receiver. Kind of a win/win for them.

"isn't supposed to be placed like that, against a wall?"

It's supposed to be placed where it fulfills the essence of its subwooferness. Put "subwoofer placement" in a search engine and read.

"Finally, can i also hook up my extra sub? directly to the receiver or... series again?"

You should have a LFE output on the receiver. Buy a "Y" splitter and an extra cable. You'll figure out what to do with them once you get them home. If there's a "line out" on the sub, you could also run from one to the other using that output.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 539
Jan's idea of 'tweeter in' is 'sound', if you'll pardon the expression.
I would ice the cake by experimenting with slight toe-out and other positioning / fine tuning.
You might find a sweet spot of postions which 'makes' the center channel.

The NEXT step is more stuff, more outlets being used, a hostile spouse, loco neighbors, and a collection of good, pre loved equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us