Has anybody tried this subwoofer?

Gold Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 1229
Dayton SUB-120 HT Series 12"

Its on parts express for around $160. This is the only sub with these many good reviews that fits around my budget.

My living room is about 12ftx12ft.

Appreciate your opinions!

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1236
guess nobody has anything to say???

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13959

I have a Dayton sub in my HT system. It works well for what it is, makes the floor rumble and stays clean. It's musical enough that it doesn't run me out of the room when I play FM music, though with a 50Hz cut off to FM there's not much going through the sub at that point.

I built my own with a 10" driver and Bash amplifier. If PE has a kit for this sub, I'd go that route since it means you really only have to screw together a few pieces to get the same thing at a possibly better price. You could also look at the driver, plate amp and box as separate parts and DIY it.

I'd give the Dayton stuff good marks overall. You can certainly do better but probably not at that price. The next alternative IMO would be a Hsu sub for just under $250. A bit more musical and an all 'rounder when it comes to HT and music.

If you're at all interested in DIY, the alternative will be as much as the PE cost just for the driver. A better driver for certain but put this in perspective of what you need vs cost.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1240
thank you Jan Vigne. I am a DIY person but only if I have the right tools. If it really would make a difference and worth the extra work, then I would go for it. If it really isn't much noticeable, then I would stick with the Dayton sub.

Thanks a lot for your input - it really makes a difference.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1241
sorry if this is a dumb question...if you havn't noticed, im pretty new to home audio setups.
But, how would I go around setting up this subwoofer? From the gain/crossover to wiring it? My receiver has a single RCA output for a subwoofer but in the picture of Dayton sub, I do not see any input for this wire. How would I connect it?

This is the link for the sub:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-635&ctab=1#T abs

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13625
MS, you can Y-split the single out from receiver to sub.
The crossover is internal, you choose on a pot where you want to be.
It works real easy, fear not.

Gold Member

New York

Post Number: 1243
Thanks Nuck! Appreciate your guys help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us