DIY - A long shot.

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 254
Hello fellow DIYers, I have a big project that I'm going to try to set in motion very soon. I'm trying to work out the final problems and I need your help.

Heres my situation. I have a very old stereo reciever. It's an AKAI AM-A70. It is hooked to an AKAI EA-A2 equalizer. I have an RCA Y splitter running from my PC, to the EQ, the signal gets EQ'd and passed to the reciever. So that works fine.

But i'm going to add a subwoofer. Problem number one. No subwoofer output, no output what-so-ever on the reciever. Solution number one: For whatever reason, the EQ has 2 simultaneous outputs on it. I have tested both running at the same time.

Now here's where it gets tricky. Problem number two. No crossover from the EQ to the subwoofer's amplifier. Solutions: I have considered the FMOD crossovers found on parts express. I heard that they werent PERFECT, but they get most of the job done.

and the most tricky of all, problem number three. No signal attenuation. The volume on my PC is obviously always at max, leaving my reciever with full signal to work with at all times and i can adjust the volume as i please. However, the EQ will be passing a constant full signal to my subwoofer amplifier, which will be a Behringer EPxxxx series (I havent decided which one yet.) MY QUESTION: does the GAIN on an amplifier act as a signal attenuator? would it be plausible to use that as a volume control, or do i need to perhaps have a small attenuation circuit inbetween the EQ and the Sub amp?

PLEASE if you have taken the time to read my post, help me out! and no i'm not going to go and buy a new reciever, I want to try something a bit different. thanks DIYers, I'm sure you know all about being different :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13927

Run the speaker output from the Akai to the sub and then from the sub to the speakers. Connect to the high level (speaker level) inputs of the sub.

If this is a powered sub, it should have a filter in the plate amplifier. This will restrict high frequencies to the sub but might not affect the output to the speakers. If you don't have a sub that fits these needs, you are p!ssing in the wind with your set up. Drop back, regroup and try again.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13520
I am a bit confused, but you have the parts.
Passive Sub, right? OK, the Begringer model should have an active XO in it, so thats fine.If not, shop again. Active XO's can be had for 150$ from them.

The high level outs from the Akai will feed the XO and the sub.

Very easy and will work fine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
thanks jan, i really appreciate your posts, very honest and to the point!

nuck - I'm hoping it will go as smoothly as you speak, i just ordered 900 dollars worth of stuff so we will see. if not there is cables for everything these days. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
For those who were interested, the project went well. I hooked everything up and it sounds absolutely great to me. The only problem I faced is that the voltage going into the amplifier might not have been quite enough, depending on the music I was listening to. Bought a line driver and a passive in-line attenuator so I can fine tweak that as needed. I now have absolute independent control between my speakers and my subwoofer, and that's a good thing!

thanks for all who helped me! i'm satisfied after 5 years.. for now :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13659
DS, that is a multi-piece solution, but a very workable one.
Well done!

What driver and VC did you end up with?

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
I chose the ART cleanbox so i could convert my rca to XLR and up the voltage all in one shot. it's very clear that the amp prefers the XLR inputs. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you said VC. My next project is going to involve synching the volume and seeing how that goes. i plan to use a line output converter connected to my speaker B outputs. i'm going to hook it all up and see which one i prefer most. I'll get back to you guys with results!

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
Also- nuck,

what other solutions do you see to my problem? its nice to have other opinions. i'm learning more as i go and it would be nice to see how others solved the same problem. i'm sure there are a lot of people that run into these problems and give up.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13669
I might have gone with a transformer that I could share with my TT, but thats just voltage for me.
You needed a vc and a gain, and you got it without being messy and all Frankensystem. Good go DS!

What pices did you use?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us