Speakers and amp good enough for a wedding?

Username: Mackaxx

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone in the speakers forum, I was wondering if anyone here could give me a bit of a recommendation as whether my home audio equipment would be up to doing the music for a wedding in a big hall. It's my wedding so it's kind of important. I'll try to give as much detail as I can.

The music for this whole affair will be provided via an MP3 player/laptop computer/whatever other bit of technology I can get my hands on to have multiple backups so nothing catastrophic happens on the night.

If I did the DIY option The amplifier driving this whole affair will be a Yamaha RX-V559B ( http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/avit/htavreceivers/RX-V559B.asp ) . Basic details are as follows.
  • 6.1-channel. powerful surround sound: 570W=95W x 6 RMS
  • 145W x 6 Max (for Europe); 810W=135W x 6 Max
  • Digital TOP-ART and High Current Amplification
  • 192kH.z/24-Bit DACS for a channels
Now the speakers have worked well for parties before but I'm not sure if they are up to something of this scale. They are a pair of BOSE 201s (Series IV) I picked up back in my heyday, ~1998. It's obviously an older speaker and the best specifications I can get are here (120W).

(http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-speakers/bose-201-series-iv/1707-7869_7-30112148.html)

I've also got a B&W solid Solutions PB100 Subwoofer for which I can't find any details right now but can post later if neccesary.

We will be seating around 100 guests and I'm told the venue can cater for up to 200, basically a big hall. Everything is carpeted so the sound won't be too horrible and bouncy. Dance floor is a 5x5 or 6x6 affair.

So, is the amp ok? Do I need some newer speakers (An excuse would be good, if so any recommendations)? Or should I just hire a deck and some speakers and hook into that?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13422
Rent pro gear or a DJ.
Your stuff wont do it.
You will be a bit too busy to fuss with the music.
A DJ should use, and have, a wider selection of music.

Dont even bother.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 2872
Agreed, enjoy your wedding & hire a DJ if possible.

Post Number: 2
Thanks peoples. I'd thought as much but thought it was worth checking out.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13429
And congratulations, Andrew.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1301
my wedding was last october... trust me when others say you will be too busy to worry about details such as music.

do some research, and don't make the mistake that many do of booking the cheapest DJ that they can find. You get what you pay for! I researched my DJ for a while, and received rave reviews from my guests. Many people told me that I had the best DJ that they had ever come across.

The DJ will keep the mood of your party going, and keep it alive. A good one will keep the mood light and fun....and keep EVERYONE DANCING!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13592
Are you driving the Limo, GRC?

hehe

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1019
I've Djayed three weddings for friend - free. For all, I rented Mackie powered speakers and used a computer with ripped CD and/or MP3. The playlists were hand selected by the wedding couple and the volume of the tracks were balanced.
I would never DJ my own wedding but a friend who is trustworthy and reliable as well as knowledgeable my fit the bill.
Don't use your own gear - rent the propper stuff and allways lean towards a little extra than what you need.

All the best.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3485
Out of everything in the reception, the most important thing is the DJ. If the DJ sucks, it'll go downhill very fast.

A very good friend hired this guy who sang along with the music. Seriously. He started doing Sinatra songs. He mistook laughter for applause. The more drunk he got, the better he thought he was. Sinatra and the like weren't requested at any point in the night.

Everyone either pretty early.

Hire someone good. Someone you've either seen work or someone refered by a very trustworthy person.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1302
I did my own research... the DJ I hired was written about in several national publications. He was not cheap (double what some people around here pay for a DJ), but like I said, he received rave reviews, and lots of my guests told me he was the best they had ever seen perform...myself included in that statement.

You do get what you pay for.

Gold Member

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1303
and nope nuck... not my department LOL

Post Number: 3
Some belated thread action. Coolness.

Anyways, I've picked up some proper gear from an audio supply place locally, along with some pretty awesome LED light things.

We've managed to whittle our music list down to 6 hours of dancing music and 8 of dinner/drinks mingling music.

So yes, a bit of cutting down to do but some well done playlists and a technically minded volunteer to keep things on the right schedule should get us through. Songs are chosen taking into account the guests musical tastes and not just ours as well.

Let me point out that we definitely do have an MC, a friend of ours who also does comedy. So the 'DJ' just needs to start and stop stuff.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us