KEF Q60s have now come alive..

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 813
The most vivacious amp I have ever owned. Trully a stepup from my Vintage Rotel I bought a couple of months ago.
Spent 5 hours cleaning it up properly including a trip for some new fuses.

Music is beatifully smooth and detailed. I found the Rotel RA-311 to produce a bit more sibilance than I wanted and detail wasnt the best. My new amp has a better grip on the sound.

Looks good, rare as! And sounds gorgeous. Was £240 in 1974, so working that out in todays money (£1800?). Ive trully found a bargain!

Odd scarch and dent on controls but hardly noticeable the sound is something magical.

Ok, I'll tell you, its a Marantz 1060. I bought this with aim to purchase a dual mono power amp using this as a pre-amp but I think I've changed my mind. It smashes the Rotel-Ra311 to bits.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 258
I'm not big on the vintage stuff myself, but that is one nice looking amp! I can totally see how rewarding it would be to snag something like that, clean it up and maybe repair it, and have it sound great. Good to hear it matches so well with your KEF speakers, J.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13408
That is a pretty good amp JJ.
Now...cut the wires going to the switched and unswitched plugs on the rear panel, and insulate the leads.
These make a ton of noise in the power input.
Just a tip.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2867
I've always liked the look of that amp, congrats!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13409
The input jacks are a dead giveaway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 814
Definately Dan, its a nice match indeed.
Nuck I would take the tip only I dont want to mess it up especially with everything working. Besides what exactly are the switched and unswitched plugs actual purpose. 'ac outlets, same as line voltage'?

Silver Member

Post Number: 815
O, is it worth replacing the mains out-pre-out jumpers with something else? Or would there be minimal performance benefits?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10683
I used to have that amp in the 70's (traded in my 2220B receiver) with my Altec speakers and Garrard turntable. Brings back some memories.

My brother had a Harman Kardon receiver with KEF speakers and a Toshiba turtable.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3024
Nice amp JJ. I replaced the jumpers on my McIntosh integrated. I haven't really noticed a difference, but surprisingly, the stock jumpers on the Mac were rather cheap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us