Record Player is clicking

Username: Jamembreno

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Crosley record player. Everytime the platter is spinning there is a clicking sound under it. It happens at every speed. The faster the record is going the faster the sound occurs.

There is a C-clip holding the platter down so I can't see what's underneath. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13901

I'm not certain what you want us to do. If the sound is coming from beneath the platter, the most obvious thing to start with would be removing the platter. If there is a C-clip holding the platter to the spindle, the most obivous thing to do would be remove the C-clip. This is a reasonably simple task but not one we can perfom over the internet.

Other than that, what is it you would like from us?

Post Number: 2
Hi Jan,

How do remove the c-clip? Does this require a special tool?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13902

It can. There are C-clip tools that cost a few bucks at the hardware store. They look like needle nosed pliers with short tips on the end. You can try using a pair of small needle nosed pliers but be aware the clip is likely to go flying when you pull it away from the spindle. Keep your other hand over the top of the clip to catch it when it flys. Then you insert the pliers and pull the clip tension away from the spindle and lift up.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 947
You mention you just purchased the player. If you purchased it new there must be some warrantyl. I would not go playing the shady tree mechanic until you've checked if you can get it repaired under warranty or return it to the store.
If no warranty i.e. this was purchased used, then by all means go for it. Afterall, it's only a Crosley.

All the best with it.

P.S. is the platter solid or are there holes that you can look through. If the latter, maybe you can rotate the platter with your hand until it clicks and looking carefully if there is anything you can see that is making the noise.

Post Number: 3
So I took off the platter and inspected everything and it all looks fine. However, I turned on the turntable and the pulley seems to shake a bit. The motor seems to be moving a bit erratically. When I put the belt and platter back on the turntable still made a clicking sound but I think the clicking is just the shaking of the motor. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I want to make sure it's faulty before dealing with an internet return.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 951
When you say:
"The motor seems to be moving a bit erratically."

Are you referring to it's speed i.e. is it speeding up and slowing down OR are you saying that you see it swaying / vibrating in it's mount/enclosure. If the latter, are they any screws that can be tightened to secure the motor in place? I'm not sure how the motor is mounted - glued, screwed, clamped with snaps etc. If you can describe the type of movement you're seeing, that would be helpful.
The issue with trying to DIY is that if you damage anything in doing so, you are going to void any warranty you have and possibly be stuck with a cricket of a TT.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 952
I was just thinking. Why don't you call Crosley and explain what you're seeing or alternatively call the internet dealer and see if they can give you any suggestions. I'm sure the dealer would rather have you do a quick fix then half to ship back under warranty.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us