Trouble with hooking wires back up to phono cartridge

Username: Bigdrock44

Post Number: 1
I recently bought an old oak crosley turntable on ebay. I had to reconnect the cartridge that it came but I'm having trouble figuring it out. I looked on the internet and pretty much everything says that they are color coded red, white, green, and blue. Well the wires that I have are red, white, black, and black, and none of the terminals on the actual cartridge are color coded. I don't know what to connect what to what. Any ideas? Thank you!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13882

An "old oak Crosley turntable" would be one built into a compact system which incluces its own speakers and looks rather "antiquey", correct? This is not a stand alone turntable that requires a receiver or pre amp to become functional, correct?

The red wire goes to the right channel + and the white to the left channel +. The two blacks are ground (-) and very likely interchangeable channel to channel so it doesn't matter which channel they go to.

Take a magnifying glass to the rear of the cartridge and look for any imprinted markings stamped into the back of the plastic cartridge body. If this fails, try assuming the top two pins are R+/L+ and the bottom two are ground. If that doesn't work, try switching the +'s to up and down and the -'s to the pin opposite the + pins. One of these connections should work and you're not going to blow up the table by experimenting. Lower the volume while making connections.

If none of this helps, contact Crosley. They apparently didn't want individuals servicing these tables and they didn't provide much assistance to anyone who tried.

Post Number: 2
Yeah that is correct. It has built in speakers and all that. And yeah there is the R+ and L+ stamped into if I remember correctly. I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the info! I'll let you know if it works out.

Post Number: 3
Okay so I think I know where to hook each wire, but i have a problem now. One of the little connectors at the end of the wire has been messed up and won't fit on the terminal on the cartridge. I tried bending it back to form but it is kinda hard since its so small and fragile. Do you know where I could get a replacement connector? I'd guess radioshack or something but I don't even know what it'd be called.

Also, excuse me for my ignorance in this area as I was born after the era of record players and turntables, but I need another part which i don't know what it is called. My mom was telling me how there's an adapter or something that you put the records on and it holds them in place as it spins. She said that it went through the middle of the record and then went onto the turntable sprindle. Once again excuse my lack of knowledge in this area. Thanks so much for the help!!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13883

I assume you need a new cartridge clip. You can order them on line from any full service audio parts supplier, http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Cartridge-Lead-Clips

But these clips need to be soldered in place. This isn't a job for someone who has never soldered before. You will do more damage than good if you try this.

Check with a few service repair shops to see if they might be willing to do such a small job.

Post Number: 4
Oh yeah solderings not a problem, I can do that. I've done it with robotics and stuff. And I figured it's the lead wires that I actually need. Headshell lead wires is the technical name I guess.

And its 45 adapters and record clamps that I figured was the other thing I needed. Thanks alot!!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13884

Why would you need a record clamp?

Post Number: 5
Oh I edited my last post and was asking about that and the 45 adapters.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13885

Most clamps will be too heavy for the Crosley. They have a tendency to slow down the platter.

Post Number: 6
Oh I didn't know that. Mines just a homemade one so if it does it does. Not that big a deal if it doesnt work
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us