Questions about some old Pioneer and Cerwin Vega speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmizmo

Post Number: 11
Hi I was hoping one of you speaker experts might be able to give me some advice. I currently have a klipsch synergy home theater system, and it doesn't really do too much. I happened to find some of my dads "old" speakers in storage, a set of cerwin vega A123's and a set of Pioneer cs-99a's. I hooked them up to a receiver and they sounded amazing. I know that my ears are used to weak synergy speakers so amazing is probably not what most would say but I'm still a newbe in the home audio world.

So I was wondering if these would sound good in a home theater setting or if they are meant for more of a 2 channel setting?

If you think they might work out better than the klipsch would you suggest the pioneers as fronts and cerwin vega as surrounds or vice versa, or perhaps just stick to what I have?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10642
Try them for the HT application and then tell us!

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Canada

Post Number: 2223
The problem will be finding a center to match one pair of these beasts. Try both pairs, decide on the one you prefer and use those as front speakers. Then try to find another used pair and use use of them as the center.

Here's what the Pioneer looks like:
http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/82/2442.html
5 way!? Must have a complicated crossover...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Good point about finding a center speaker, didn't think that one through. Would you suggest an exact same speaker or could I go with maybe a pioneer cs-c400 center speaker or something in a cs model?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2955
What don't you like about the Klipsch Synergys? I owned them before and they were just fine for HT.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
When I said my synergy doesn't do much I should have been clearer that I have sf-1 for the fronts but the rest of my system is a mix of bose and jbl's. I'm not very home theater savy and I would guess it's not the best setup. Also my friends and family have insane systems so it makes mine feel even smaller. Thats what I was trying to say. I also understand that adding CV and Pioneers won't solve the mismatch I already have going on but I'm just trying to find something new until I have the funds to upgrade, but I'm reading and learning while I'm on this site and picking up on things. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2978
I don't think you can buy a matching center for the Synergy series anymore (at least here in Canada), unless you buy used.

I think moving to the old CV or Pioneers would be a step backwards, but I could be wrong, since I'm not very familiar with vintage stuff.

Only one way to find out.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13335
Play that funky music, white boy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us