HDMI 1.4 - It's here.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 918
Well, all you guys who have bought one of the latest and greatest AVR's and or pre/pro's and though that was it - get ready for another upgrade...though it may be some time yet. HDMI 1.4 is hear, and a firmware upgrade can't get you there.
Thought about ethernet and 3D video over HDMI, this will take us there. Maybe it's time to hold off now on buying anything in the way of an AVR / Pre/ Pro until these start to rollout.

http://www.hdmi.org/

HDMI 1.4 Features:

integrated Ethernet (100Mbps) channel which will allow components to share Internet access
e.g. an AV receiver could be the new hub/router, distributing online content
3D support: three different methods of 3D imaging are supported
- frame alternative
- line alternative
- field alternative
- side by side [half 2D, half 3D]
- 2D plus depth
higher resolutions:
- 4096 x 2160 @ 24Hz [4x 1080p]
- 3840 x 2160 @ 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz
audio return channel to allow TV sets to send audio for decoding [from cable or Blu-Ray, etc]
extended colour space: sYCC601, Adobe RGB & Adobe YCC601 support
new connectors:
- HDMI Micro connector (19-pin, designated "Type D")
- HDMI Automotive Connection ("Type E")

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1399
Ok, so some logical questions will begin with:
1) Who has a TV that can support 4096 x 2160.
2) What routers out there support HDMI for Ethernet connection. If the AVR is wireless and can deliver the goods through HDMI 1.3, then what's the use of carrying Ethernet on HDMI? The picture shown doesn't help. I think most devices will be wireless in a few years anyway

I'm thinking may be 4-5 years from now 1.4 can become the standard.

Still really cool though!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2731
Pretty cool, but I agree with Stof. HDMI for Ethernet purposes is absolutely dumb. Anybody have the figure on the longest HDMI can be ran? Not long enough for it to ever take that market over.lol But cool none the less.

Super HD TV's are coming out in Japan, so we should see them in North America in 5 years.lol Sad.

I think where you could benefit from the 1.4 HDMI's resolution is in the Media Servers. Which will take over the market in the next 5 years. You could run one HDMI out into a hub and then run 4 separate 1080p displays off one HDMI connection. BOING> Imagine, a machine that is pure sweet looking, that is your blu ray player, cd player, dvd player, dvd server, video server, music server, home automation system, all in one box, that is doing up to 4 separate displays at 1080p. Its coming, and its coming quicker than people may think. Did I mention that I am in the works on building one right now? It wont be done for a long while though, as the software for it will take me a while.

Good post George.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10612
I'm still happily using my 4 yr old AVR...lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1400
I look forward to that Nick, but I'm not sure how the content providers feel about that from a licensing standpoint. Unfortunately they will still make you either rent or buy the content on a secure device and will still not let you copy it to your own media server.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2733
lol in Canada its fully legal to copy the content to your own server. As long as you dont sell it. In the States its fully illegal. What they dont know wont kill them Stof.lol

But I know what your saying. The way Microsoft is taking it is that you can rip your own made videos, and go online to buy the movies to download. Interesting how it will turn out. We will see I guess.

lol Art- arn't we all man. Arn't we all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1401
Laws are one thing, the extent the content providers go to protect their stuff is quite another with Sony being probably the worst offender. My wish is simple: I buy the DVD (or Blue Ray), I aught to be able to copy it to my media server and watch when I want to on my TV. Just like I do with my cd's.

But I can't

Don't think HDMI 1.4 can do anything about that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us