Pre-amp recommendations

raytobe
hey all, anyone have recommendations for a stereo pre-amp? need something $500 or less, with remote. I have a carver TFM 42 amp, driving Carver Amazing Loudspeakers, which suits me just fine so it's obvious that I am not on the level of enthusiast that speaks with terms such as "bloom" or "top octave delicacy". just need something dependable and well made. thanks for any input (online dealer recommendations would be appreciated also)

Hawk
Raytobe:

I have several suggestions, depending upon whether you are looking for a unit that has a phono input, or th eother choice is whether you are looking for the best sound (will cost about $500) or you want something very cheap.

The better pre-amp is the NAD C160, with an MSRP of $599.00. However, it can be had for about $479 from Kiefs. Get the phone number for Ed at Kiefs off of their website, www.kiefs.com (which is being substantially rebuilt right now, so you have to call). The NAD has full remote contol and has a phono input--it is probably the best single unit made by NAD which is saying a lot.

The cheaper pre-amp is the Parasound Zpre from Audio Advisor. Has a remote control, but no phono input (the Parasound phono pre-amp is available separately for about $120). Cost is $350. Check it out at audioadvisor.com. Kiefs is also a Parasound dealer, so you may also check with them for their price.

G-Man
Both units Hawk mentioned are good ones. But you might be able to get these and others "used" at the audiogon.com site. I saw a couple of excellent $1,200-$1,500 Classe pre-amps for $450 to $550. A new Aragon 28KII for $750 (lists @ $1500---it is gorgeous). You should take a peek at the site--some very good deals.

The Aragon and the Classe are high end pieces and look it too.

Anonymous

I agree with G-man; I picked up the Aragon 28K MKII for 599$ (new) and am really thrilled with it! It was a dealer close out as Klipsch bought out Aragon, I believe. That was via Audiogon. It is SILENT with a capital S. My Hafler 945 put in years of good service, and I'd recommend that. BUT if you keep your search engine running you might be able to find a dealer that's closing out that Aragon model, I think that's a real deal.

MARK AUDIO4KICKS
Unregistered guest
the aragon is a beautiful piece of gear and so is the classe, and i always thought that the preamp + power-amp combination was best, but i must say after giving some thought to a home theater system and purchasing a a/v reciever i am now convinced you can get great sound from having everything under one hood, i bought an onkyo unit and was blown away by its performance, i owned a rega mira which i sold and still have my creek 4330 which i will not part with so i know what good music reproduction is all about, when i brought the onkyo home, hooked everything up and put three wishes a spyro gyra cd into the dvd player and pushed play what i heard was unreal, so musical, air around the instuments, good tight bass, good pace and just so wide open, all this from a a/v reciever,,,you bet. so before you run out to purchase separates, look into a a/v reciever not only will you get great cd playback but just add some speakers and watch and listen to your dvd`s the way they should be listened to, in surround sound.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 433
i pcked up the b&k pt3 series II for $150 new in
the box.

and i am very glad i did.

it sounds great has a remote and has some very cool
features like preamp outs for high out low out and
full signal out so basically 3 sets of preamp outs.

very versatile.

if your interested just do a google search and you
should be able to find some.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us