Sonneteer Alabaster

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10558
My next big audition. I pick it up this week. Any experienced Alabaster or Campion users.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2725
Looks fancy Art. I have personally never heard of the unit. I searched it up though, and it looks very well built. Very high end. Can't wait for the audition.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2418
And interesting, does the Unison not do it for you now Art?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10562
The Unison sounds wonderful I just have a good opportunity to try this amp and possibly accquire it at a price I may not be able to refuse.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10563
The Alabaster has arrived. If I were to characterize it's sound so far I'd say it's a cross between a Naim amp and a Sugden A21SE. High PRaT with a big deep soundstage. Microdynamics are outstanding. Tmbre is just a bit shy of the Unison however. Very good amp. Here's a gander.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2420
Nice Art - I suppose your going to give it some decent running time before making the big decision?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10564
Actually it's 3 1/2 yrs old and has been used as a demo and in the dealer's wife's home studio so it's well broken in. I will give it plenty of time for my ears to get used to the sound. Depending on price I may sell the Creek and keep the Sonneteer and the Unison, even though I like them both the economic reality is that I will likely have to choose.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2421
Sounds like it might be a tough decision unless you sell the Creek. As long as the music is fine - good luck with it.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2925
Looks neat Art. Changing things up a lot lately, huh?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10565
You bet David...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2926
You change your gear almost as much as I do :-)

Doubt I'll be upgrading from the Macs anytime soon, tho.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10566
I had the Rega system for about 2 1/2 yrs, but lately I've had some opportunities to upgrade...gotta like that.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 911
Sweet looking unit, Art. Waiting to get more details on your audition, as you get more settled with the new gear in your system.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10576
It's one of the 2 or 3 best sounding solid state amps I've ever heard. Sweet and detailed with incredible inner resolution and just flat sings with the Gibbons, like it was made for them. The control the that this amps exerts over the bass drivers on the Gibbons is incredible. This is one of the best systems from a synergy perspective that I have ever heard, and it's mine...YIPPIE! Now I need a good phono amp.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2422
Sweet!
Congrats Art.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10579
Thanks MR...I sure could use your Saturn!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2427
No chance, it's staying Art :-)

Glad you're lovin' that amp - getting it right is a satisfying thing.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10581
Yep...the economic reality is that the Unison must go and so after a short, hot love affair I must bid it farewell and just chalk it up to a summer romance. It was delicious but just couldn't last.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13232
hehe Art.

If you are looking at a phono stage, I suggest you look into a Jolida JD9 unit, but with an improved tube over stock.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10585
No thanks on the Jolida. Heed, Dynavector and Sim are on the short list.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3440
The Sim and Dynavector are great. It all depends on what you're willing to spend IMO. Haven't heard the Heed.

I haven't heard Sonneteer nor much about them before. I'm glad its working out so well! A cross between Sugden and Naim? How is it not more popular?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10595
Probably poor marketing. The Sugden is well recognized for it's performance but due to the heat it generates not many want to own it, same can be said of my Sonneteer...it's one hot mama. Designed that way just like the Sugden..sounds great. Stu, the Heed is by far the best of the three phono stages I listed.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3447
If the Heed is by far the best of the 3, that really says a lot. How much does it go for? I may have to track one down.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10609
$1K...and worth every penny!

http://eugenehifi.com/Heed/htm/Heed_Quasar.htm

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3449
I somehow knew it was going to be out of my price range. Maybe I shouldn't track one down.

I've been contemplating getting the internal DAC for my B60. Only problem is that I'll lose the phono card - not enough room for both. I was thinking about the Sim and Dynavector as both are probably the definitive ones for their price.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 657
Stu, if you're the least bit interested you should check out the new Vista Audio Phono 1. It's around $300 and from the limited feedback I've ready it's a great unit. If I didn't already have the Moon I'd give it a try myself. 2 year warranty I think. Here's the feedback thread from Audiocircle...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=e87gc76a4d2s7f7ev4dqvsgnk6kujtjq& topic=69666.0

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 229
Imagine how good that amp would look alongside the Sonneteer CDP...

http://www.everestaudio.com/products/Sonneteer-Alabaster-integrated-amplifier-ss i.htm

I'm glad it worked out for you Art. Good to hear that the Sonneteer lives up to it's high billing. I briefly considered buying a Sonneteer amp when I bought my new integrated. I think there was a used one I came across. Never actually listened to it though, but ultimately decided I couldn't swing it along with the other upgrades I was making. Maybe for the next upgrade the Sonneteer will be on my list.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10618
Problem is that the Sonneteer CD player sucks. It's slow and ponderous...a real dinosaur. The amp is fabulous so they really need to update the CD player.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3451
I always wondered how a comapny can hit the nail one the head with one product and fail so miserably with another. Do they have a different listening panel when evaluating the CD player than they had when they evaluated the integrated?

Chris,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind if I need a new phono stage. Its going to be very hard to beat that Moon phono pre you have though.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10619
Actually Stu it's more like a good sounding cd player 12 yrs ago doesn't match up to a mid fi one today however an excellent amp 12 yrs ago will still be excellent today. They simply haven't updated their cd player in ages and their amp needs no upgrade.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 659
I took a quick read of some reviews of this amp Art, and it seems folks like it an awful lot. Nice pick-up. I hadn't heard of that brand before.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3453
Gotcha Art. Makes perfect sense. I wonder why they haven't revised the CDP.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10621
It's a real small company and they started to get into wireless audio solutions and have kind of let the other stuff go...no excuse, just what it is.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13635
Art

"I've decided to head in the direction of a Naim integrated. Either the Nait 5i-2 or the XS. It'll take me awhile to save for it so I've picked up a refurb C326BEE and let the Sonneteer go. My tech told me that it was very near needing a full recap job...time to move on (due to the design of the amp this was going to be an ongoing problem) and Naim and Harbeth/Spendor get on very nicely. It's going to be a long wait using the NAD but kind of fun as I will be using a power cord on it that cost $250 more than the amp itself. It'll be interesting to see how well it acquits itself in such company as the Harbeths and the Saturn. I'll let you all know how this works out."

"The Sonneteer is the best sounding amp I've ever owned and one of the best I've heard but I had to weigh a few factors which would include the age of the amp and it's viability over the next couple of years and with advice from my tech I decided now was a good time to move on."

Haider

"The Sonneteer is the best sounding amp I've ever owned"

"Thanks Art. Which ever Sonneteer amplifier you have will have been designed by me and is unlikely to need changing for another 10 years at least. barring anything untoward happening of course.
Sonneteer amps are sealed, operating without air vents as the heat-sinks are part of the chassis. This means, the biggest culprit in damaging any electronics, dust, does not get in and the life of the unit is per longed. Heat is not a big issue as all the components are designed to operate at much higher temperatures.

On the May Audio point. Despite the unfortunate passing of Nizar Akhrass, May audio is now in the capable hands of his Son Nabil and his daughter Julia. They are good friends of Sonneteer and will continue to support the brand and its customers. At the same time we will continue to pop over to visit our American cousins on a regular basis and provide full support, as much as we can from the UK.
Please feel free to contact us anytime through our website or directly.

Oh Also, if you feel it is needed we can service your current amplifier for you for little more than the cost of shipping. Bare in mind that the earliest you need to service such an item is at 10yrs.
You probably have it as it is just getting to its best. if your tech wants to talk to me about it I am happy to listen to their opinion too."

Hi Superjazzy, Thanks.
Yes, but of course. The heat-sinks are over sized internally and coupled directly to the chassis. The control system on the amp that regulates the current bias insures that the system never over biases and hence the heat is relatively controlled.

Depending which amp we make it's a little bit different, but in principle, the same. They've been going for about 16 years now and generally a very reliable system. I've used similar techniques on product I have designed for more mass market products and the results have been good there too. Sonically though, the Sonneteers are mine and my fellow Sonneteer designer, Remo's babies.

We also like to think that our customers keep them and pass them on to their younger family members as has happened so often with our units.

It's just a shame Art didnt, at least upgrade to another one of our amps since the last one was "the best amp" he'd "ever heard" I feel he may have been a little ill advised by his tech as there is no way the amp was too old. That is unless, of course, it has had some rough treatment. Mind you he doesn't sound like the kind of chap that would do that.

Art

"Well fellas, looks as though my baby (the Alabaster) will be heading home to the UK for a "well child" checkup and then return home. The NAD will be used as a stop gap while the Sonneteer is gone. There won't be any Naim....never mind...lol!"

Highlights of the "What's in a Naim" Thread. I felt that Haider's responses belonged in this thread and that it's time to move over to this thread and talk about the fabulous Sonneteer Alabaster and the fellas that are Sonneteer.

Please don't muck this one up fellas.

It would be interesting to hear what Reamo and Haider have to say about the CD player and how that differes from what Frank Abela and the dealer had to say. I have a feeling they know something these other fellas don't.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4223
Are you referring to the Sonneteer CDP? If I remember correctly, you didn't like it at all. Are you re-visiting it?

Also, is the Alabaster on it's way across the pond?

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13637
I'm not revisiting the CDP. I just wondered if Haider and the Remo felt differently about it than Frank who thought is was awful. I would characterize it as a smooth sounding older design. Not quick and pacey like the Rega and Naim players but also not offensive. Frank really didn't like it. I was led to believe that it hadn't been updated and I doubt it will be. I'm betting the fellas at Sonneteer have some tips relative to synergy that would facilitate a better experience with it for some. I love my Rega and can't afford to change even if I want to.

Really wanted to just revive the thread about the Sonneteer Alabaster as that is what we've been discussing and get some of that discussion in a thread with the correct title.

The Alabaster will head across the pond around 2/1/10 after the holiday mail has passed and Haider and Remo have returned from CES and settled back into their routines. I'm paid on the first of the month and so shipping will happen around then. Haider has stated that they will move on it post haste after it arrives. Class company if you ask me.

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 842
If I'm ever in the market for an integrated, I'll have to check into them. If you're saying they no longer make amps, I guess hunting for used against the odds will be in order.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13640
What in the world would make you think they are no longer making amps?!?

They ARE making amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 853
Nevermind Art, I miss read something somewhere.

Gold Member

Stamford, Connecticut USA

Post Number: 4225
I looked at Sonneteer's website. Not the easiest to navigate. The music server looks pretty interesting though.

Interestingly enough, the USA distributor is in Niagara Falls, NY, about 10 blocks from my old apartment while in grad school. Never saw a single hifi shop when I was there, about 8 years ago. I had to drive to Buffalo for the only hifi shop, which was about 30 minutes away.

Sucks that the distributor doesn't list dealers. How do they expect anyone to hear the thing? Maybe Sonneteer's production can't handle increased demand and they're at a happy medium? I don't think they're all that common in the UK either, as I don't see very many people talking about them on places like Pink Fish Media and other UK forums.

I'd love to hear an integrated that sounds the way you describe it. As I said earlier, Naim's drive with Sugden's sweetness? How is this amp so hard to find!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13648
It's pretty amazing isn't it, Stu. Great amps and a great company yet not widely known even in the country of origin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1015
Amazing and sad. They need more exposure.

Username: Audiojoy

Post Number: 1
They are amazing, the Byron cd player included, designed by musicians and even more amazing when played through speakers such as KUdos also designed by muscians. They let you into a world of music where it all finally makes sense.

LondonUk

Post Number: 2
THe Sonneteer Byron Cd player.... Is superb. They are not slow and ponderous. The PRAT if anything is more accurate and not hyped, which is how NAIM cd players feel when you have lived with the Byron. More importantly it reproduces all the essentials of instruments/voices timbral, tonal and dynamic shades to bring you the full flavour and emotion of the intended performance. Unlike some other cd players it does not play 33rpm lp's at 40rpm. Yet it still maintains all the drama and emotion of the piece with PRAT when called for and not injected into every piece going at the expense of other essential ingredients. If i am able to get my feet tapping with some pieces and can understand the interweaving interplay between the musicans then PRAT must be correct. Try playing a 33rpm lp at about 40 rpm and notice the prat factor go up albeit artificially. Thats how good the Byron is.ALso most improtantly, the unit is so finely honed like itsw amplifier brothers that the interconnect cable must also be up to the task or the sound could fall apart. I love th audionote interconnects (Peter Q who lives down the road from me goes for musicality first and foremost in his designs). I know from Remo that ortofon 7N are a preferred inetrconnect. Agreed it is also good but not as open and tonally full as the audionote.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13879
Nice addition to the thread, Luke, and duely noted. Which Sonneteer amp do you own?

LondonUk

Post Number: 3
I have the Sonneteer Alabaster. Biamped a pair of Campions first of all, but when i got the Alabaster it was far superior in every respect. The speakers are Kudos C30.... the most musical and communicative speaker I have ever owned.(my speaker history includes avantgarde duo's harbeth p3, 7's and 30's, rogers ls3 5a, neat and penaudio,quad esl 57 stacked, yamaha ns1000, audio physic avanti , audionote silver signature ANE's etc etc). I have just received the Sedley so i will see if Sonneteer's fine tradition of music making equipment continues here with its phono stage. I

It just seems so right to me that musicians who are more likely to understand the inner workings of musical pieces should be the ones at the head of designing hifi equipment. I have to admit that it was not until i owned the sonneteer/Kudos combination that i finally got Opera music. The emotion conjured up within us by clever changes in orchestral tempo and the power of singing was for the first time all there to see clearly with this equipment. This is akin to the way Hollywood uses acting and story lines to provoke tears in us with their movie making skills. Where with a movie it is easily understandable how these emotions are provoked as we are exposed to these situations on a daily basis, the understanding of the subtleties that make a piece of music are more acquired over a period of time as most of us do not play in Jazz bands or orchestras to truely know the compositions origins and chosen emotional roller coster pathway. However equipment such as sonneteer which are so finely honed in design to just create this truth can more readily open your eyes into the skill of some musicians in provoking the emotinal response. From then on most hifi is seen for what it is, reproduction of music with little understanding for the underlying musical message. Dont get me wrong, not everything will sound 'beautiful' with the sonneteer/kudos, e.g when you play some of the Doors music you can tell on which tracks they are doped up and not in tune with one another, its just thats it is so much much more obvious with this gear, yet that is still communicating the essence of the piece which be it in tune or not makes it incredibly engaging and satisfying to listen to.

Anyhow thats how this equipment has certainly woken me up. dont mean to be preaching or anything like that, your take could be completely different to mine, but I tell it the way i see it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13881
Wonderful post, Luke, and I appreciate your candor. Pretty much how I feel about my system and the Alabaster as well. The Alabaster is so very good at opening the door to the inner dialogue between the musicians and allowing us to participate in that conversation. More on this later, wife wants to watch a movie...bummer.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13882
Another bad Netflix DVD...hehehe.

Everytime I listen to other setups or even other amps in my setup it's the same thing, I miss the meaning of the music that is so well communicated by the Alabaster. I remember really loving the Unison amp that I had and the struggle I had giving it up. Difficult to play the two amps side by side to hear the differences. I remember listeing to a Miles Davis album and hearing what Herbie Hancock was doing while not losing a bit of what else was happening. It was so much clearer on the Alabaster and unlike so any amps that give you detail without meaning, Krell for example, the Alabaster continued to communicate and sing musically. Magical really.

Username: Haiderkb

Guildford, Surrey UNITED KINGDOM

Post Number: 5
Just for reference guys: The Penaudio guys just sent me this link:
http://www.inner-magazines.com/news/152/63/Sonneteer-Byron-CD/

a few months late, but still valid.

Take it easy now. We are off to ISE for a week in Amsterdam.
haider

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13908
Interesting reads, Haider. Thank you for the link.

LondonUk

Post Number: 4
I dont know if you guys are aware but the world is going mad over the new Rega DAC, musical as hell but with more timbre and warmer more natural tonal colours - said to be superior to any previous incarnation of the Rega cd line-might be worth a try?

Interested in getting a pair of Gibbons, Art what magic lies within these speakers tell us more, i beleive they are also designed by a musicain ??pianist or have i got the wrong brand??

Luke

LondonUk

Post Number: 5
ah I see on Pink Fish media you have moved onto the harbeth p3's. I had them for a while many years ago, my brother still has them now. Very Nice but at the time with the original versions would pale in comparison to the Harbeth 7ES, which had the most amazingly realistic midrange i have ever come across except for the Quad 57 of course. However its bottom end and piercing top end were awful. It is now in its third reincarnation and I have not had a chance to revisit them. Would be a very interesting comparison with the Kudos. Sorry this is going off topic, just looking into speakers that have that magical ability to convey music and really shine with the Alabasters.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13957
The most recent iteration of the P3's has been compared by more than one 7ES3 owner and left them wanting to buy a set. I would love to have a set of 7's or even Super 5's but I wouldn't want to give up the P3's for them. I would only buy them if I could have both. I don't know of any place near me to hear the Kudos so I doubt I'll hear them in the near future. Perhaps this summer if there is a place in Seattle or Vancouver BC.

John DeVore's speakers also have a lot to give. Especially the Nines and 3XL's. The Nines are a very special speaker as they have a realistic way of conveying the rhythm in music. Drums are particularly well rendered. Piano, guitar and percussion all sound very convincing. I'm interested in hearing the new Orangutan. John comes at speaker design very differently than Alan Shaw of Harbeth, very interesting how they both get to the heart of what a transducer should do from such a different philosophical, theoretical and experiential background.

LondonUk

Post Number: 6
thanks for that perhaps i should re look into the the latest harbeths

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 13987
Hey Art,

It's been awhile since we've heard anything. Is the Soneteer back? Is it on life support? Will it pull through? What gives? Update and tell us if it's now the best amp you've ever heard plus some after it's check-up, tweaks and return?

Thanks, Dave

It never left. My tech here in the Willamette Valley got a hold of a schematic and has a better understanding of the amp now. He also admitted to being too cautious. The amp appears to be working perfectly. I'm still working out some details with Haider, have an email in to him now. If all works out my tech here will service the Sonneteer when and if it needs it. It will still get a thorough once over, once I get everything worked out. I have sent the serial number to Haider to get more detailed information and to make sure that if there were mods subsequent to the schematic my guy has we are aware of them. My dream is to get into an Orton someday. Please post about the Sonneteer on the Sonneteer Alabaster thread...I'll post this there as well.

LondonUk

Post Number: 7
Ah yes the Byron, reviews on pink fish have not been favourable when cf alabaster. Would love to hear more reviews on this amp

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4968
Did a review on the Alabaster here:

http://www.audioreview.ca/default.aspx?pagename=review&reviewID=60http://

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 15938
Nice addition to the thread, David.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 16201
Full circle Remo and Haider. I am the proud new owner of a fabulous Campion. This one won't get away!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4972
Nice how ecoustics edits the URL in my post so that the link no longer points to a valid page.

http://audioreview.ca/default.aspx?pagename=review&reviewID=60

Congrats Art. Sonneteer makes solid gear, and Haider is the real deal.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 16275
Thank you, David, and you are surely correct about Haider and Remo as well.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4973
So tell us about the Campion, Art!

I too sort of regret letting the Alabaster get away :-(

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 16278
You'll find my thread about the Campion here.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=510362&highlight=sonneteer+cam pion
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us