Need Advice... Infinity Beta 20s 5.1 system or The Speaker Company TST1/2 system?? Or else?

Username: Drew4392

Post Number: 1
Ok... I have come a long way with the help of you folks on the boards here. My eyes do feel like they will soon start bleeding, but for good reason.

My intention was to get a 5.1 system that is better than your typical HTIB. Moving into a bigger place, and my living room will be about 21' x 15'. Mating this with a 50" LCD and would love a great sounding setup! My budget is/was $600, but that is flexible by about $100-200. This would only be for the 5 speakers and woofer. I have a recv'r and DVD player.

The two main options I am tossing around are:

5 infinity beta 20s (two rears wall mounted. If one of them falls, it will probably kill someone... is there a better rear speaker option?? Or should I stick with beta 20?)

dayton sub

or...

The Speaker Company TST1 or TST2 package

If some of you experienced audioholics could lend your knowledge, it would be much appreciated!

I'm simply looking for something which is better than previous HTIB setups I have run, yet not something more than $700.

Thanks,

Andrew

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13069
What receiver do you have now?
If you buy the 20's, you will end up with a spare speaker if bought in pairs, yes?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10423
Get an Infinity Primus package. Sounds good and can be had for well under your budget.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13071
I though so too, Art, but waited for you.
Same store, get something that is voiced for the purpose.
A few watts and that setup would do for anybody not begging high class music setup.
Movies have music, too, at least good ones.

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys for the input! Let me catch up, though.

Is there a difference between the Betas and Primus? I was under the impression that Beta was Infinity's high-end speaker a few years ago and now can be had for little money (compared to before).

Are the primus comparable??

Also, I was planning on having the Beta (or Primus) as a Center speaker. That is the 5th speaker I spoke of. Not good idea??

Also, do people actually mount these big speakers in the rear? I was thinking of a wall mount from Crutchfield.

Thanks for the help!!

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10424
The Primus series sounds better IMO and I've owned (and presently own the Primus) both.

Post Number: 3
Got it. Do you recommend having the Primus as a center speaker? I've read it's better to keep all the same speakers for sound consistency/quality. But then again, I am just learning.

And, sorry to beat a dead horse, but do the rears get wall mounted? Sorry , never seen such a big speaker mounted. Want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks, again

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10425
I do recommend the Primus center and am using it...check my profile for the complete HT run down. My rears are on stands but the they have facility for wall mounting. I simply don't have wall where I would need to mount. You would do yourself a favor by making sure you have enough budget to at cover a Hsu Research STF2 sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us