Lp to pc

Username: Smitty55

Post Number: 1
heya folks . great site here . I have a bit of a prob here lol.

Wifey has a adc she recently got and I have an old Sony ps-3300 table . Wifey teaches music and wants to covert some vinyl she has to pc so she can burn disks for students . What do I need to do to satisfy her?

lololol tks

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3764
Dear Mr. Smith. If wifey is really married to you there is nothing you can do to satisfy her...:-)

On the subject of converting vinyl to digital, there's more than one way of doing this depending on what you have available to you in the home. An ordinary HiFi system? Then if your computer has an ADC option on the soundcard, you may be able to hook the tape out to the computer and record that way, using some kind of recording software - the one that comes to mind which a friend uses is called Audacity I believe.

If you don't have an analogue to digital convertor option on the soundcard, the easiest way to do this is to plug your turntable into a phono stage with a USB output. Connect the USB output to the computer and use Audacity to store the recordings (it also allows you to do other sexy stuff like clean up the recordings, de-click etc). One of the best phono stages with USB output at sensible money is the Pro-Ject Phono USB which costs something under $200 I believe (but check around on the 'net for the best price).

Good luck,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 669
Look down the page 10 posts and you will see my same question. It turned into an instructional lesson from Stu Pitt. He had the burden of explaining it to someone who knows nothing about digital. I don't even have an iPod nor use my computer for music.

The conclusion was as Frank suggests here, the Pro-Ject ADC which I did buy and it worked very well. Highly Recommended.

I didn't need a Phono Stage but the way it is designed, you do use it's phono and can listen through your hifi as you go from turntable to pc. You can actually go directly bypassing the hifi but I figure I may as well enjoy the LPs as I burn them.

Where I got stuck and gave up is with Audacity. Now that is a nasty piece of MS Doss. Not user friendly. So now I am dead in the water, that is I quit in frustration, abandoned ship. I just hated it. Probably someone with computer skills would be fine with it.
I have an acquaintance who does this and will give me Audacity lessons one of these days. I am skeptical.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13070
Aww c'mon KC. Me and Smitty are pulling for ya.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 671
Thanks!

I really am lucky to know someone who is burning vinyl to pc. I just have not had a chance to see him with late summer being my busy work time. I do hot water boilers and now everyone is wanting to get ready for winter. I have 3 new boiler installs to do so it will be a while before I am allowed back into the vinyl room :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us