Onkyo Receiver somehow locked to same volume/input

Username: Galileo72

Post Number: 1
My venerable Onkyo TX-DS484 AV Receiver got a bit of a jolt last night and is now acting strangely. Seems the apartment building was struck by lightning while i was watching the tv and the audio (Bose Acoustimass surround run through the Onkyo) went to static. I switched the power on and off and it seemed to reset. BUT... what i realize today is that the sound level and input selection will no longer change. it produces the same sound, but none of the buttons on the device or the RC will change ANYTHING. Is that the strangest or what? Nothing else (e.g. tv, subwoof, xbox, lamp) is affected in anyway and all my devices are powered through a surge protector. Do i need to scrap old reliable or do you think this can be fixed? thanks!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13019
I love shopping too!

Bronze Member
Username: Ezntn

Greeneville, TN

Post Number: 21
Got renter's insurance?
Them bolts do strange things, I know from personal 'sperience. They will cook all sorts of things, in all sorts of places, on different circuits, no timer is necessary.
What else in your apt is acting oddly, if acting at all?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3759
Sean,

Switch off the unit and unplug it from the wall if possible. Give it a couple of minutes to ensure it completely discharges. Plug it back in and see what happens.

If still no joy, check to see if the buttons on the front of the unit work. If they do, it could just be the remote which coincidentally (unlikely but you never know) has low batteries. Alternatively, if the batteries are good, it could just be the receiver for the remote. If all this doesn't work, try to get into the setup menu and do a factory reset. If you can't then you'll have to take it to your friendly neighbourhood Onkyo repair man, although if it's truly venerable, it may have to go to that great receiver cemetery in the sky...

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 899
If the volume is stuck on pretty loud, you can get a saperate volume control unit and control the volume that way - radio shack might have it - if not, ask an electric repair shop, and probebly they will be able to help.

Hope the volume is stuck loud enough for this to work...

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 902
http://www.listenup.com/NHT+PVC+PC-p-PVC_PC-p-50052.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us